Where do you get your movies and TV shows?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Frankied22, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Do most of you buy them through iTunes/Google Play/Amazon, or do you buy blu-rays? Or do you get them from other sources?

2. Billit macrumors member

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I get all of my entertainment content from iTunes. I haven't purchased a DVD in years and have never used Blu-ray.

4. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Same here. Every now and then I contemplate switching over to digital and buying through iTunes but I always end up just buying a Blu ray copy

5. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

You guys are old school!

6. paulgh macrumors newbie

Me too. I buy bluray moviess and rip them. I don't generally buy "day one" bluray releases as they are too expensive. Every now and then, my wife and I will go to our local store and splurge on discounted titles.

Sorry... I have never bought any digital movie downloads (although I am a frequent buyer of digital music downloads). That might change one day if my area gets better internet speeds.

Paul

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I buy movies and TV shows from iTunes, unless not available. Sometimes if I am not sure I will want to watch something again, I will see if I can stream it on Netflix instead of renting from iTunes. Then if I like it a lot I buy it from iTunes. If I can't stream it and it's not on iTunes at all, then sometimes I try to find a used one on Amazon. So far I have had good luck with those but am careful to pick a "like new" offering, not something like "good condition."

I always wonder why certain movies aren't available in digirtal formats. The beautiful film Indochine, for instance. And the Brit movie called The Deal which was about Tony Blair and Gordon Brown before Blair was Prime Minister. iTunes had that other movie with the same guy playing Blair, the one called The Special Relationship, with Blair during the Clinton presidency. But not The Deal. It's so annoying. It must be something with the rights reserved and someone won't sell them or make a deal for presentation in digital format.

Anyway I bought Indochine on DVD. Then for the first and only time I tried to rip it, because I was so mad I couldn't buy a digital one. I couldn't get the subtitless to come down, no matter what I did, and my French is, well... a second language, whereas it's DeNeuve's first. Fuhgeddaboudit. So I just watch it on DVD now when I want to see it again.

8. Woosie macrumors newbie

Nearly All are Converts

I had a large collections of DVDs and used Handbrake to convert them to .mp4. I use the same technique when downloading my favorite sports .avi's. I really like the price!

9. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

BitTorrent and Usenet mostly. I guess this would apply to "other sources".

10. Larsonator macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

jk how about you support the people who made it with $

11. StinDaWg, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

StinDaWg macrumors 6502

I would if the content creators provided a service anywhere close to what I'm getting now. No DRM, no commercials, everything On Demand or via rss auto download ready to be played on your media device of choice, reasonable prices, not $20 for a digital copy of a movie in worse quality than Blu-ray that is restricted to certain devices, and might disappear at anytime in the future due to "licensing issues".

They are stuck in the past, just like music once was in the Napster era. I'm sure one day they'll come around and offer more consumer friendly streaming/download services, because eventually the younger market will demand it. Netflix is a good start.

I actually live in a household that pays for cable, every channel, even the premiums. But I have no use for it, so I don't pay for that portion of the bill. I have an HTPC that does everything I need, and I don't miss out on any shows at all. Watching via XBMC is a 100x better experience than the garbage cable box they give you. Picture quality is also better with madVR and ffdshow.

12. Larsonator macrumors newbie

After reading your reply I did some research and Googling. I honestly thought the industry was more advanced than it really is. I assumed buying DVD or BR allowed you to rip/burn a personal copy since you'd be buying the license to the product as well.

"The MPAA and most media companies argue that you can’t legally copy or convert commercial DVDs for any reason. We (and others) think that, if you own a DVD, you should be able to override its copy protection to make a backup copy or to convert its content for viewing on other devices. Currently, the law isn’t entirely clear one way or the other—Fair Use proponents claim you have the right to make a back-up copy of the media you own whereas those who support the Digital Millennium Copyright Act say that the DMCA overrides Fair Use. So our advice is: If you don’t own it, don’t do it. If you do own it, think before you rip."

The only option I found was buying movies that include a UltraViolet key code that allows you to stream the content to your devices. Services like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon are obviously limited so I'd never recommend that.

Thanks for forcing me to enlighten myself -- and I'll retract my previous statement. I know the industry has taken a hit from piracy but they need to figure out a more efficient way to regulate their products.

13. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I use Netflix. I can watch on my tv via Apple TV and can continue watching the the movie on my iPad. I only watch shows one time. Period. So buying a movie is useless-to me.:eek:

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. I cannot remember the last time I bought a movie. And I never really watch any of my old DVDs. Would actually sell them, but nobody pays that much for used DVDs nowadays.

15. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

That's what they keep shouting, but it's not really true in most cases.

Time Warner’s Bewkes: Piracy of HBO ‘Game of Thrones’ Is ‘Better Than an Emmy’
    http://variety.com/2013/digital/new...of-thrones-is-better-than-an-emmy-1200575271/

16. Larsonator macrumors newbie

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Some are purchased from iTunes, some are BRD rips, but I have 4TB of wonderful stuff...all the BBC documentaries with David Attenborough, and too many HD movies to list.

All the Simpsons
    All Star Trek from day one
    All Voyager
    All Futurama

Etc. etc. etc.

I use Air Video server which means all my devices are capable of streaming or viewing them.

Only downside is I need to expand the R4 for other purposes....May look at pulling the 4X1TB drives and replacing them with 4X2TB's...I have JUST enough space to stash the media away whilst the upgrade takes place. around 2TB of the 3 on my iMac, and a WD 2TB drive as well. It's tight, but I've done it before..:)

18. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Excatly. Before they deviate from the archaic view they have currently, I also put a parrot on my shoulder each time I need a new movie. I don't mind paying for my movies, but I want proper quality and not what you currently get from digital download services, loaded with DRM.

19. Stephing macrumors newbie

20. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

iTunes only. Dumped all the dvd's and br's. Don't care about physical media anymore.

21. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Where do you get your movies and tv shows?

Or quality either, it seems. :p

22. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

iTunes mainly for digitally purchased content, have been tempted by a few Vimeo films but not bought yet.

I have large numbers of DVDs most of which I've ripped now (RipIt/Handbrake) and I borrow films form friends to watch. I have a friend who buys second hand DVDs watches them and sells them on.

Most of my online content aside from full length feature films is streamed form Vimeo, so many talented folks out there making short films / sports edits.

BBC iPlayer downloads

23. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

24. 2010mini macrumors 68040

iTunes movies is not THAT bad. unless you are a snobby cinephile.

25. cxc273 macrumors regular

For current TV shows, we use Hulu Plus for the most part. We also subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The vast majority of my movies and favorite shows are ripped from my old DVD and Blu-Ray collection, which I've long since sold. They live on a 4 TB drive on a Mac Mini media server.

On rare occasion, I'll buy a season pass from iTunes or a movie that isn't available in HD on Blu-Ray.