Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
tempted to put it on my TV stand and move my TV abit further back from the TV stand...

Or on the side where my lamp is. Thinking having it in the middle of my lounge will give more balanced sound.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
tempted to put it on my TV stand and move my TV abit further back from the TV stand...

Or on the side where my lamp is. Thinking having it in the middle of my lounge will give more balanced sound.

The likeliness of where I will put it is in the spare bedroom, in a corner near the wall, where the sound can recoil. Sounds kind of confusing, but I will test multiple spots to see which has the best sound and how it travels in the room.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I’m leaning towards using it as a sound bar for my TV so Just next to the TV.
How will you connect it to the TV?
[doublepost=1516904171][/doublepost]Mines going in the kitchen.

I have good speakers in most rooms, I think it will be handy to have a decent speaker with voice controls in the kitchen.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I have good speakers in most rooms, I think it will be handy to have a decent speaker with voice controls in the kitchen.
Via Apple TV. I plan on using it as a soundbar for audio output from my Apple TV.
[doublepost=1516911137][/doublepost]
Wait I was thinking I wanted to do this as well. Is this possible?
I think you can use it to output audio from the Apple TV.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's not going to work. Or, at least, it's not going to work well and you can do better with a cheaper soundbar directly over optical or HDMI.

Reactions: Askolan

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
HomePod has no inputs for HDMI or optical, so not sure how to connect to appletv. It does have Bluetooth 5.0, but not sure if it’ll accept for audio. I’m assuming it’s more for initial setup along with HomeKit devices.
[doublepost=1516931189][/doublepost]
Not for audio via the Apple TV?

Don’t believe so.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
HomePod has no inputs for HDMI or optical, so not sure how to connect to appletv. It does have Bluetooth 5.0, but not sure if it’ll accept for audio. I’m assuming it’s more for initial setup along with HomeKit devices.
[doublepost=1516931189][/doublepost]

Don’t believe so.

Airplay. Theoretically it should be as simple as sending audio to AirPods.

Askolan

Suspended
Feb 21, 2017
I’m leaning towards using it as a sound bar for my TV so Just next to the TV.

How? There are no inputs and you can't connect any bluetooth devices that aren't homekit.
[doublepost=1516949197][/doublepost]

Don't do it for the voice controls man. Siri will ruin your kitchen cooking experience. Use homepod as a music speaker wherever you like to listen to music. If thats the kitchen, well then..

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
How? There are no inputs and you can't connect any bluetooth devices that aren't homekit.
[doublepost=1516949197][/doublepost]

Don't do it for the voice controls man. Siri will ruin your kitchen cooking experience. Use homepod as a music speaker wherever you like to listen to music. If thats the kitchen, well then..
I doubt it will

Siri does most basic tasks well and Siri on the HomePod is said to be very clear and you don’t need to speak loud to get the tasks done.

My main usage will be for setting reminders, shopping lists, music, podcasts

hk556

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Going to put it in my den/kitchen area, and provided it sounds as great as they say, another one in the main living room soon.

Hope they eventually come out with a "mini" version for smaller rooms though.. Don't really need a full blown speaker in my bedroom or office but would love to have the Siri functionality everywhere (without using phone/watch of course).

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It's not going to work. Or, at least, it's not going to work well and you can do better with a cheaper soundbar directly over optical or HDMI.

I highly doubt Apple didn't think of this. All they have to do is delay the video output slightly if sync is a problem, and they control both steps in the chain.

Personally I wouldn't do it because they don't support stereo linking of two HomePod's yet, but I already have a 5.1.2 setup for my TV anyways so I doubt HomePod would best that.

roncito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Poconos PA
I'm in a dilemma on where I will be putting it, I have a full 9.2.2 home theater setup in my living room, so for sound I won't need it there but I do spend a lot of time in that room. The kitchen is right next to it, which is the second most used room (I love my food lol) so it would be easier to control my lights, locks, switches and blinds. On top of reminders, calendar, messages, and timers etc. Hopefully I can be in either room and control the HomePod. The next idea I had was in my bedroom, I'm only there when getting ready for work and when going to bed. When I get ready for work I like to listen to some music so I fire up the Apple TV and listen to some Apple Music, I don't have a soundbar so the TV speakers aren't great at all. So for the bedroom it would be for the sound quality more than anything.

I just can't figure out where it would be the most useful, I'm thinking the kitchen, the side closest to the living room so I can use it in whichever room I'm in.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2012
England, UK
I'm in a dilemma on where I will be putting it, I have a full 9.2.2 home theater setup in my living room, so for sound I won't need it there but I do spend a lot of time in that room. The kitchen is right next to it, which is the second most used room (I love my food lol) so it would be easier to control my lights, locks, switches and blinds. On top of reminders, calendar, messages, and timers etc. Hopefully I can be in either room and control the HomePod. The next idea I had was in my bedroom, I'm only there when getting ready for work and when going to bed. When I get ready for work I like to listen to some music so I fire up the Apple TV and listen to some Apple Music, I don't have a soundbar so the TV speakers aren't great at all. So for the bedroom it would be for the sound quality more than anything.

I just can't figure out where it would be the most useful, I'm thinking the kitchen, the side closest to the living room so I can use it in whichever room I'm in.

Bedroom. Then purchase another for the kitchen with the AirPlay2 update is released.

Reactions: roncito

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’m also curious if and how well a pair of homepods can serve as Apple TV home theater speakers. If one is getting a pair for music+Siri assistant anyway, it would be great if they could serve all 3 functions.

fhamadeh

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
San Mateo, CA
Thought I would ask this question since I don't see a reference to it anywhere on Apple's site or anywhere else. If it is in the wrong place, please let me know.

Anyway, are the speakers on the HomePod shielded? In other words, is it safe to put them near other electronic devices without having to worry about interference?

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
I think I’ll have to put it on one end of our TV bench next to the bottom corner of our TV closer to the middle of our living room.

Can’t wait to play with it, could be great fun for our kids with Apple Music.

I could pair an older iPhone or iPod touch with a reasonably nice speaker, but it’s unlikely going to remotely sound as good and definitely won’t have those mics that could hear “Hey Siri” commands even with loud music playing.

And it’s rather silly I have to turn on the Apple TV and hence TV/surround sound system to play a podcast or music at the moment.

I’m old enough to remember my first iPod cost way more than this.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I purchased two, one for the kitchen for using SIRI for everything from grocery lists to measurement conversions, to listening to podcasts and News while I am cooking. The second one will go in our dining room, primarily for music during dinner and when entertaining. I would never use Alexa or Google due to significant privacy issues that don't exist due to Apple's encryption. I also think it's the only option for our "smart home" development. We have two Ecobee 4 thermostats, Schlage locks, and First Alert(?) smoke detectors that can all be integrated in Apple HomeKit. One App......control of the house, locks, lights, safety. Privacy and Simplicity.

Askolan

Suspended
Feb 21, 2017

Would you consider buying two? I think once the stereo mode patch comes in it will be exponentially better to use two of them, if space permits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.