Where have good desks gone!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drewsof07, Apr 29, 2008.

1. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I've been looking through thread after thread searching for a new desk, and everyone seems to agree that the cheap things from walmart, officemax, and staples just aren't cutting it for us "minimalists." And IKEA has some great stuff, but the shipping is outrageous for the majority of us without a nearby store. So does anyone know of any nice good-sized, heavy wood desks that compliment macs nicely?? Maybe room for a macbook or iMac, external monitor, and printer, possibly with a drawer or rolling storage for disks/cables. Surely I'm not the only one looking for such a setup for my expensive purchases. Let us know where you got your desk and post pics if you have something like this.
    All Hail Steve! haha

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

This desk is solid rubberwood, and only about $300 at Overstock (shipping is $2.95).

Attached Files:

3. drewsof07 thread starter macrumors 68000

drewsof07

eh, I'd say with an external monitor and hard drive cables, probably looking for something with a little more cover up in the back. Thanks for the reply though!

4. drewsof07 thread starter macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Haha, that's one option. I don't trust my carpentry skills enough for that.

5. Mebsat macrumors regular

6. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I have this desk even though it's from ikea you might want to consider:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40079218

It is really easy to assemble and is extremely sturdy. It also has that minimalist look to it. you can even get a plate of tempered glass for it for $20. The low price may offset the shipping cost maybe? Also, if you have a car, you should be able to fit it in the trunk like i did.

7. thinkband macrumors regular

I have this one

[​IMG]

Sold here

This is great. It is very easy to put together and very sturdy. It is a little expensive but I would not recommend anything else but a solid glass desk. Easy to clean and always looks nice. I have been using it for over a year and have nothing but praises for it.

8. drewsof07 thread starter macrumors 68000

drewsof07

that's the desk I had picked out kockgunner, but when i went to place my order, shipping to my location would be $285... PLUS $25 in taxes... the desk only costs $70 so thats roughly 30-40% tax rate. absolutely ridiculous.

9. JoshLV macrumors regular

I've also been thinking about this. They are getting cheaper and costing more money. :mad:

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

desks

onelessdesk at hecklerdesign.com.

It's an absolute beauty.

11. David G. macrumors 65816

The best desks are ones that are on craigslist or local store bulletin boards. I got a desk not too long ago from someone who took extremely good care of it. It probably cost $800-1000 new and I got it for $200.:) Nice

12. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

If you want a cheap, good-looking simple desk made of real wood, I recommend Target's Mission Natural Computer Desk.

Rubberwood isn't a particularly hard wood, but it really does look quite nice in person. I have a few pieces from Target's Mission line of rubberwood furniture, and they all look great (the best that a poor college student like me could get anyway).

13. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Where have all the good desks gone?

I love that song!

...but serously they are hard to find, my desck is just not good enough for my new 24" iMac... and I really don't want a slide out tray for the keyboard!!!! I just want a nice looking, sturdy desk thats not £1000000's.

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Oh no a bonnie tyler fan :D

15. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I'm just about to young to remember Bonnie Tyler but my mum had a tape... :eek:

16. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

[​IMG]

This is the desk i got from staples and i love it. The only problem is the cord on the Apple keybord is not long enough for the keyboard to be on the slide out tray so i keep my mouse there and whatever reference material i need.

17. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Not Bonnie, but Pete Seeger, according the the infallible Wikipedia.

As for the desk, I'm currently using a plank of wood stretched across the arms of my wooden Adirondack chair. It's still chilly, but I'm gonna enjoy the spring sunshine, darnit!

18. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Na, bonnie tyler, goes something like "where have all the good men gone, bla bla bla im holding out for a hero till the end of the night"

19. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Oh no... look what I've started! All because I couldn't find the love of a good desk!

20. drewsof07 thread starter macrumors 68000

drewsof07

haha i was wondering when someone would pick up on the thread title! haha good to see you guys know your classics!

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

23. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

"Isn't there a white knight (racist?) upon a fiery steed (burned crotch?)...? Late at night I toss and I turn (Tylenol PM?) and I dream of what I need (lucid dreams?)."

:p

24. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Hey what's gives with the laptop in your sig it's a notebook