Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
come on guys its all about the jerker from ikea, the best desk i have ever had!

http://adam.pra.to/content/jerker/

Ha! That's what I have. The great desk with the unfortunate name. I've actually tried to sell it twice, with no takers for the price asked. It's been loaned out twice, gone into storage twice, survived two moves, and currently back in use in my studio. I have three side shelves that I don't use anymore—those peripherals are now on a dedicated Ivar rack.

But enough about Ikea.

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
I have this one

s0073475_enl.jpg

Sold here

This is great. It is very easy to put together and very sturdy. It is a little expensive but I would not recommend anything else but a solid glass desk. Easy to clean and always looks nice. I have been using it for over a year and have nothing but praises for it.

I just got that desk along with the matching side cart. Gives me plenty of room for the computer (iMac), keyboard/mouse, speakers, subwoofer, 4x6 photo printer, full size laser printer, scanner, digital camera, lamp, and whatever else I need access to while still being pretty compact.

mrpalmer420

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I just got that desk along with the matching side cart. Gives me plenty of room for the computer (iMac), keyboard/mouse, speakers, subwoofer, 4x6 photo printer, full size laser printer, scanner, digital camera, lamp, and whatever else I need access to while still being pretty compact.

Does you keyboard wire actually go from the back of the iMac to that sliding tray. That is the main problem i ahve with the desk i use right now.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You didn't like the desk from milk.dk??

It's ridiculously cool, can even get a built in fish tank option.

It's cool, but mostly because of the good marketing of it, minimalist/modern website, etc. In the office, I think lots of desks would be equally suitable.

Am I the only person who wants, and needs, as much desk space as possible? Personally, i wouldn't go for "compact". I'd possibly get 2 tables: a table top and leg combo from each of these sets:

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/rooms/workspace/10712/
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/rooms/workspace/10707/

In the "VIKA" system of Ikea tables, there's a version of THIS glass top which says the word "Love" in many, many languages, in different fonts and sizes, all within the glass. It sounds awful and corny, but it's actually quite nice in person. I also like the really black floral one, which can be seen in the link if you select it.

I also like THIS option, especially when it's shown in the video. Lovely. You can also tilt the table so that it's slanted towards you. It doesn't sound useful unless you're an artist, but if you have craploads of papers to read through, having a slightly slanted table may be very useful. Of course, you can also use it completely horizontally.

I'm definitely going to need a lot of desk space if I go into research. It's just an inevitability. Or maybe I'd get THIS massive desk, which also looks sweet in the video (which I provided the link for earlier).

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I've seen a lot of really slim desks submitted, just wondering how on earth you hide the cables for your power, printer, monitor (for those without imacs).
That's something that drives me absolutely bonkers, and reminds me of my old PC.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I've seen a lot of really slim desks submitted, just wondering how on earth you hide the cables for your power, printer, monitor (for those without imacs).
That's something that drives me absolutely bonkers, and reminds me of my old PC.

I wish there more desks like the one fivepoint is building. I'd love a drawer in the back that holds everything with its own powerstrip so that you only have ONE cord coming out. That'd be nice.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
There are a couple desks that offer the "Cable Management" feature. Most of them are quite a bit more expensive. I wish it was incorporated in more desks built for computers.

seafrog

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2006
Bellevue
Bedford from Pottery Barn

I gave up trying to find a "real wood" desk and purchased a corner one from Pottery Barn. You can buy 2 file cabinets from the series and add a rectangular top or a corner-style top.

pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_2810.jpg
    IMG_2810.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_2811.jpg
    IMG_2811.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 362

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
Does you keyboard wire actually go from the back of the iMac to that sliding tray. That is the main problem i ahve with the desk i use right now.

I don't use the keyboard drawer, just left it out of the assembly process. You can just use a USB extender if the cord isn't long enough (Macs used to come with em, guess not anymore...)

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Okay, now that the hard part is over, let's open it back up for IKEA stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.