Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
I have this desk even though it's from ikea you might want to consider:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40079218

It is really easy to assemble and is extremely sturdy. It also has that minimalist look to it. you can even get a plate of tempered glass for it for $20. The low price may offset the shipping cost maybe? Also, if you have a car, you should be able to fit it in the trunk like i did.

Agreed, you can't beat the price. Ultra-simple and clean. We bought a couple for the home office. The rollaway storage unit adds additional usable space as a return when you need to spread out. And the 30" desk depth is ideal.

The black/brown Effective series storage units make for a nice wall unit too.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I built these. Metallic-look vinyl and maple, soft-close sliders. Most people really need a big table for the inevitable piles of paper, chargers, etc. And you can use it for an extra table for holiday dinners, etc.

Attachments

• desk 2.jpg
    desk 2.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 57
  • computer desk.jpg
    computer desk.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 70

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Check these out:
http://www.retrooffice.com/tankerdesks.htm

The single executive 60 is pretty cool

Just don't consider these desks without a decent laminate top, especially in colder climates. Some folks who restore these desks leave a bare metal top or use a piece of tempered glass. It may look cool, but you'll grow tired of working on a cold desktop over time.

I still have a bunch (unrestored) in storage. Heck of a lot of work to get them cleaned up, but 10 years ago you could pick one up a truckload of these old desks from big companies for $5 apiece, strip & restore them, then resell them in L.A. or N.Y. for $1500 a pop.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I love mine, it frees up much-needed desk space for papers/books while writing essays, etc. But it's just one of those personal preference things. And with that one, the glass would still show off my sexy al keyboard and mighty mouse.
Only problem is the pull-out keyboard/mouse drawer. I hate those. I'd remove it. lol

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I'm in the process of building a desk for my new iMac! Here are a few pics... but if you want to check out more and/or folow along as I build it, feel free to click on the link below, in my signature!

2403757296_317d65c0cc.jpg

2403058393_0ebf2683a2.jpg

2403072519_166d257ccd.jpg

2406060197_d138874f7a.jpg

2406061679_faec622542.jpg

2406124529_8ce962050f.jpg

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Okay, after an hour searching through google images I found the black one if anyone's interested. Here

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Don't recognize it, but it's beautiful. Only problem is the pull-out keyboard/mouse drawer. I hate those. I'd remove it. lol

haha, having a good keyboard drawer is one of my main criteria in looking for a desk (i'm in the market for one too, or will be soon). So much more comfortable to type on!

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
My silver (steel) and glass desk

Hi, this is my first post. I'll be switching from a 10-year old W98 Dell to an iMac very soon. I found a silver powder-coated steel and glass desk that I hope will look good with my new iMac. I bought it from a physical store (so no shipping), but it's available mail-order here:

West Elm Cadman Workstation

(Look at the other images and views there. With better lighting, they do a better job of showing the silver color. White is also available.)

When I saw it in the store, I immediately thought an iMac would look good on it! I bought just the Large Workstation (48"w by 30"d) and the file cabinet. A keyboard tray is optional, but I thought it ruined the nice look of the desk.

The file cabinet, which seems over-priced, is much nicer than a typical steel one. The finish, seams, and fit are very good (at least on my unit). It fits under the desk or rolls out to where you want it.

Brian33

Attachments

• mydesk1.jpg
    mydesk1.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 61
  • mydesk2.jpg
    mydesk2.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 67

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I agree, Staples definitely has the best selection for what most of us are looking for. After digging, I found that awesome glass one.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Yes, it is very likely that a huge city has more desks available than the cow pasture I live in. haha, but I know what you mean. Have looked on craigslist, everything is just cheap dorm desks or antiques.
What about craigslist? I use it all the time, and always see desks. But maybe the NYC market is different.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Yes, it is very likely that a huge city has more desks available than the cow pasture I live in. haha, but I know what you mean. Have looked on craigslist, everything is just cheap dorm desks or antiques.

You didn't like the desk from milk.dk??

It's ridiculously cool, can even get a built in fish tank option.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
The milk is awesome, but personally it doesn't fit my decor, and more importantly I need something with some storage. Lots of cables, gizmos, and gadgets that get used on a regular basis. As far as the fish go, I have a cat and wouldn't want to tempt her to jump up and knock my "pretties" off. haha
I think I've decided to go with this
s0076042_enl.jpg
Z-Line black desk from Staples. it fits my storage and size needs, as well as looking freakin sweet. All for only $300 delivered to my door, I'll take it. Will post some setup pics on the Desk setup thread. Haha, my friend suggested I put a life size picture of Steve under the glass.

You didn't like the desk from milk.dk??

It's ridiculously cool, can even get a built in fish tank option.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
I've been looking through thread after thread searching for a new desk, and everyone seems to agree that the cheap things from walmart, officemax, and staples just aren't cutting it for us "minimalists." And IKEA has some great stuff, but the shipping is outrageous for the majority of us without a nearby store. So does anyone know of any nice good-sized, heavy wood desks that compliment macs nicely?? Maybe room for a macbook or imac, external monitor, and printer, possibly with a drawer or rolling storage for disks/cables. Surely I'm not the only one looking for such a setup for my expensive purchases. Let us know where you got your desk and post pics if you have something like this.
All Hail Steve! haha

http://www.ofwfl.com/product_info.php?cPath=75_76&products_id=113

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.