Where in the world are you?

Where in the world are you based at present?

• North America

Votes: 46 59.7%
  • South America

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Europe

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • An island near Europe

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Africa

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Middle East

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • South Asian subcontinent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Far East

• South East Asia

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Australasia

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Oceania

• Arctic / Antarctic

• Not of this world - Skylab, for instance.

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
An island in the Andaman Sea.
I was wondering where, in general terms, members of MacRumors are living at present….. so here is a poll to find out.

I have been living and working in Thailand for about 15 of the past 34 years, so South East Asia is my selection.

I come from New Zealand, and am likely to return there in the next year or two. It is home for me, but I am not in Oceania or Australasia right now.

As people's domicile changes from time to time, and this is to reflect where we are now, this poll will close in a couple of weeks

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Not much response after a day, but thus far about two thirds are in North America, a quarter are scattered around the rest of the world, with the balance off the planet.

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Space Cadets?

A couple of days in, a few more responses, and the proportions remain about the same…. about two thirds North America, a quarter the rest of the world, with the balance being off the face of the earth. Unfortunately none of the last have posted their whereabouts. Are they true space folk, mere balloonists? Or are they just off their face space cadets?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Bahstan Mass :p

Here's a short list of words that you may find useful while visiting my fair city :D

“Bang a u’ie”, not “turn around”
“Bizzah”, not “weird”
"Book", not "flee", as in "The statee came and we booked outta there!"
"Candlepin bowling" involves tiny little pins and tiny little balls.
"The Cape", not "Cape Cod"
"Cella", not "basement"
"Chowdahead", not "idiot"
"Frappe", not "milkshake"
“Frickin'” means “****” and used when in polite company
“Gravy” is “tomato sauce” and very popular in Boston’s North End
“Hang a right”, not “take a right”
“Hermit”, is a molasses and raisin bar
“Jimmies”, not “sprinkles for your ice cream”
“Package Store” or “packie”, not “liquor store”
“Patriot’s Day” is a Massachusetts holiday (third Monday of April) to commemorate the Battles of Concord and Lexington (April 19, 1775) – and is the day of The Boston Marathon.
"The Pike", not "The Massachusetts Turnpike"
"P-Town", not "Provincetown"
“Scrod” is a generic name for white fish – usually cod, but can be the “fish of the day”
"Soda" or "tonic", not "soft drink" or "pop"
"The Sox", not "The Boston Red Sox" (also there was no curse and remember the "Yankees Suck!")
“Southie”, not the “South End of Boston”
“Statee”, not “State Trooper”
“Wisstah”, not “Worcester”
"The Vineyard", not "Martha's Vineyard"
"Wicked pissa", not "awesome"
"Wicked", not "very"
“Yah huh” and “no suh”, not “Yes” and “no.”
and ... New Englanders do not refer to Boston as “Beantown”, only outsiders do.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Bahstan Mass :p

Here's a short list of words that you may find useful while visiting my fair city :D
Just South of Bahstan Mass...

You mean they don't actually say "I pahked my cah in Hahvad yahd"?

BTW: If you parked in Harvard yard, you have smashed through a gate or a wall, and probably killed several students (that last part is not a problem...ask anyone from Southie).:p

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Geneva, Switzerland currently.

Born in Montreal, brought up in Vancouver (after a short stop in Calgary to allow my folks-well my mom to give birth to my sister), lived and studied in the Annapolis Valley NS and Ottawa before moving here. Short layovers in Ajax, Ontario and St. John's Newfoundland before my hop across the Atlantic.

Wow. :eek:

Not even mentioning the places I've visited-still too many on my list I have NOT.

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
I shall have to put my hand up as being the pollster from Australasia. However I do take umbrage at the collective Australasia. I am in New Zealand and specifically the North Island, not to be confused with the so called Mainland.

We do prefer not to be lumped in with the Dingo cousins from across the Tasman.

KGB:rolleyes:

Edit, I believe that I have been joined by Nermal

KGB

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
I shall have to put my hand up as being the pollster from Australasia. However I do take umbrage at the collective Australasia. I am in New Zealand and specifically the North Island, not to be confused with the so called Mainland.

We do prefer not to be lumped in with the Dingo cousins from across the Tasman.

KGB:rolleyes:

Edit, I believe that I have been joined by Nermal

KGB
You could have chosen the Oceania option……

I am sensitive to such issues, which is why I put it there. Also the "Island near Europe" option for insular types who have no stomach for being European.

Of course, there are those from other parts who are similarly aggrieved at the thought of being lumped together with certain others. However, in a poll such as this it is better to stick with fairly broad categories. Thirteen seems like a nice number, but it should not be taken too seriously.

Myself, Waikato born, and King Country raised, with passports from both New Zealand and Ireland (didn't bother with the UK one i could have had)….. and having lived and worked in four countries, and motorcycled around many more, I don't really mind what I am called, as long as it is not late for dinner.

The two thirds North America, one third the rest ratio is being maintained. We still have not covered all the rest of the world, but I remain intrigued by those unworldly few.

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
The "not of this world" choice does not help the poll unless we have astronauts reading MacRumors. :p
Many are "not of this world" mentally. So that choice applies. :p
Thanks LIVERMNYC, of course the option is there to introduce a bit of levity into the poll.

Still about two thirds North America and a third elsewhere, with some of the worldly options yet to attract a response.