Where is "Search this Forum?"

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bert484, Nov 13, 2013.

1. bert484 macrumors member

Am I missing something or have they removed, "Search This Forum"?

Bert484

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's temporarily disabled due to the security breach.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

As is the New Post shortcut (which I use a lot), but Arn and his team are working on it.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

5. jfcates macrumors newbie

jfcates

Search function disabled?

The loss of the search function, especially "search this thread" is terrible. Search is essential for very long threads. Is this related to the security breach? Can we please have the search function back soon? :confused:

Please let me know what's up with this, and thanks for a great place to find answers/solutions.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It is related to the security breach and I'm sure arn and his team are working to get it back as soon as possible.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I moved your post to this thread. Please read above for an update on the search function.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

It only has to index through 17,718,761 posts. I don't see what's taking so long?!! ;)

Does it have a progress bar showing the approx time left? Was curious if it's still days. My main "entrance" to MacRumors is the "New Posts" URL, so I'm feeling lost without it. Forum Spy is an OK workaround.

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

As a forum founder myself, this sort of stuff really sucks. Give the MacRumors team some time. It's not like you don't have stuff to read. :)

10. koban4max macrumors 68000

did MR disable searching?

Wonder why they disabled it?

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I moved your post into an existing thread. Read above for more details.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It could save bandwidth too, much needed for all the emails that are being sent.

The MR Forums are well indexed by major search engines, so you can just use Google and type site:forums.macrumors.com to find results in the forum.

Example:
    iPhone battery charge site:forums.macrumors.com

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For the time being, if I am searching for a thread in a MR forum, the most viable way I've found is to use Command F to pull up Firefox's search function (bottom left of browser window), type in a key word, and then page back through the pages of thread titles, clicking on the search arrow for each page. It will quickly tell you if you hit something or there is nothing for that specific page of threads. This is much faster than paging back and then scrolling down through all of the titles.

14. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

Ive been missing the search and new post. Sure I can use forum spy, but its just not the same..hope its fixed sooner than later.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Gracious folks...a bit a patience...please!

It is my impression that arn is busting his hump to put things right after a catastrophic event on the Forum.

How about just being a bit patient and give the guy a chance to straighten things out.

I know it's an inconvenience...but it's a forum, not that oxygen tank that is keeping is keeping you alive!

Please...take a breath, take a walk...life will return to normal soon...:)

16. Ramanonos macrumors newbie

Searching has been disabled?

can anyone explain why I can't do a keyword search on the forum?
    Says..
    "Searching has been disabled."

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

Sure. After recovering the site after the security incident, the search index has to be rebuilt. That requires the software to go through the words of all 17 million posts on here, so when you search for a word, it knows what posts to return as results.

Apparently going through all the words of almost 18 million posts and indexing them takes multiple days.

Until the index is rebuilt, there are examples in this thread of how to use Google to do a keyword search of the forums.

18. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Huntn’s avatar picture is my face in the morning, when i see that MR has no search function.

;-)

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I love that avatar. It says so much... :p

20. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we're running on reduced capacity right now. search is pretty intensive, so we don't want to tax the site even further.

hopefully search will be up this weekend, but that's assuming everything goes smoothly... which so far has not been the case with anything.

arn

21. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

A google search on site:forums.macrumors.com can often substitute in the mean time...