Where to buy old Macs (other than eBay)?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macaddiict, May 3, 2014.

1. macaddiict macrumors regular

Just curious - does anyone know of any good sources to purchase old Macs? I'm talking Quadras, Performas, etc.

I've looked on eBay and Craigslist with no luck finding what I want. I wondered if there are some retailers you know of that still sell these old things?

Thanks,
    Stephen

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

• Goodwill
    • Salvation Army
    • Your local charity shop (one we go to is run by St. Vincent's Catholic Church in Glendale, AZ)

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Does your area have a "areacode-XXX Buy/Sell" group on Facebook or does your radio station have a time of day when they air calls for people wanting/selling stuff?

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

5. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

craigslist/kijiji is where I found my collection

6. benvw99 macrumors member

benvw99

I actually have a performa sitting in my basement. Original keyboard, tower, hardware, software, mouse, and monitor. Everything works great. $5 plus shipping and it's yours. If you have any questions, just ask.

7. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Kijiji is where I found all three of my Macs. If you live in Canada, Kijiji is much more reliable than Craigslist, as it is used much more often and has much more content. Other than that, there isn't much else that I can suggest other than scoping out Goodwill/Goodwill Computer Works, Value Village or other general thrift shops.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

www.shopgoodwill.com has some good ones.

9. mark8 macrumors member

mark8

vintage parts

I have some vintage Daystar PPC 601 processors for Quadras that cost an Astonishing $1200 back in the day. Hard to find. also some older scsi equipment

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Check out this place in Windsor, VT! This place is the ultimate stop for PPC/Intel Macs/Parts. Some of their stuff is a little over priced, especially for some PPC stuff. But they routinely sell Intel Mac Minis for under $150 and PB G4s for around $100. If you are ever looking for parts (say a G5 processor) they usually have it and will gladly ship it to you.

They also have A LOT of PM G4s and older G3s. They aren't listed on their site, but they have a huge stock of them, especially early PMG4s and a few QS last time I was there a few months back.

http://windsorgoodnewselectronicsrecycling.com

11. macaddiict thread starter macrumors regular

Wow -- some amazing replies and places I have never heard of before! Thank you very much!

12. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I may be interested in that Performa if you still have it.

13. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

PowerMax has some.

Mac of All Trades keeps several G5's and sometimes G4's in stock.

Be aware, they are pricier, but they do take the time to clean and make sure everything works.

There's also Craigslist for online.

Offline, thrift stores might have one. You can also go for yard sales, because you never know what will be there. Each one of those are crapshoots, though. I KNOW eBay, PowerMax, and Mac of All Trades have some PowerPC systems.

14. benvw99 macrumors member

benvw99

Sorry, it's gone.

15. TheMacMan56 macrumors newbie

TheMacMan56

I would say that you can get some at Goodwill. At the one up the street from my house they have an Emac, 4 IMac G3's. ( I bought one but it died today:( )
    The one I got was a Snow one. The rest there are Bondi blue. I'm going to exchange my Snow one to a Bondi Blue. They have two IMac G5's (Both running 10.6.4)and 1 IMac G4. If you live and Pittsburgh,then you are in luck!:)

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Don't exchange. Do they have any blueberry models where you could swap parts since the snow is the nicer case?

17. TheMacMan56 macrumors newbie

TheMacMan56

They have 2 Blueberry Macs, but they only have old Apple mice as spare parts.My snow Mac is kind of Damaged. It has a crack in the case, a rotted speaker, and a shaky CRT.It was fine at Goodwill but now it just plays the boot sound and shows the flashing folder icon. It ran OS 9.2 and 10.4.1. Otherwise known as Tiger.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You could probably swap parts out of the blueberry to the snow aside from the cracked case obviously.

19. MicrosoftApple macrumors newbie

I got my G3 from Craigslist off for only 30 Bucks
    The machine had a splooch of nail polish on it but good'ol wet towel did the trick
    Came with the original keyboard and an A4Tech Mouse which I replaced it with a clone Apple Magic Mouse

20. TheMacMan56 macrumors newbie

TheMacMan56

Very true, but it's too late now. I exchanged the snow one for a blueberry Mac that was in very good condition, But I fully refurbished it so it's case is clean, the speakers have been re-foamed, I upgraded it to OS X 10.4.11, and all I have to do now is tinker with it's hard drive because it's kind of noisy. Other than that, It works like it just came out of it's box.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

TheMacMan56 I'm curious, where in Pittsburgh did you get the G3 iMac from?

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am happy to hear that you are happy with your new to you iMac.

23. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I don't know how busy the swap forum here is but perhaps they should let newbies have read only access.

24. TheMacMan56 macrumors newbie

TheMacMan56

I got it at the goodwill computer works store in lawerencville. They still have a lot of them there. They are $30.00 each.

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I went there once. All of their PowerPC Macs seemed very over priced for what you got. Did they have any orange ones?