Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
I have been finding more and more places that take Apple Pay and pleasure using my watch. Many vendors still seeing used for the first time

Today used at Panera Bread along with Disney Store.

I have also used at ------ Home Depot, Subway and Vending machine at work

Funny to see peoples reaction when using the watch to pay

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I used Apple Pay on the iPhone 6 at Lowe's foods and several gas stations, I believe BP's back in September. Now they've turned them off.

I can't wait till Current C finally dies so I can use it more places. Virtually everywhere I go has an NFC scanner that's turned off. That's just dumb.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
My odd anecdote. Live in Atlanta and don't eat fast food but went to Panera Bread to buy a loaf o bread just to try out. Told that only the lunch registers take :apple:Pay. Next I go to Home Depot (store across the street from HQ) and find their system is being updated and :apple:Pay is off line for now.

I go visit my dad this weekend in a tiny town Reidsville (pop 2500). He needs something from the store and I go to a Harvey's and get to the register and notice NFC. I ask casher and he was 100% clueless. I stuck it up there and it worked. However it made the process MUCH longer since everyone in line had several questions about what just happened.

Odd that wan't able to use :apple:Pay in a big city but go to the "middle of nowhere" and it works.:D

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
My odd anecdote. Live in Atlanta and don't eat fast food but went to Panera Bread to buy a loaf o bread just to try out. Told that only the lunch registers take :apple:Pay. Next I go to Home Depot (store across the street from HQ) and find their system is being updated and :apple:Pay is off line for now.

I go visit my dad this weekend in a tiny town Reidsville (pop 2500). He needs something from the store and I go to a Harvey's and get to the register and notice NFC. I ask casher and he was 100% clueless. I stuck it up there and it worked. However it made the process MUCH longer since everyone in line had several questions about what just happened.

Odd that wan't able to use :apple:Pay in a big city but go to the "middle of nowhere" and it works.:D

More often than not I find that if they have NFC don't ask, just try it. If corporate doesn't have it turned off, it works.

Reactions: jiehanzheng

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
First time using Apple Pay

I have an iPhone 5S but I expect to get the next iPhone whenever it's released.
Had to wait until my contract with AT&T expires to get a new phone.
So, until I got my Apple Watch I wasn't able to use it.

My first experience was at Panera. I ordered then told her I was using Apple Pay. To which she replied we don't have it. I asked why not and if only some Panera stores had it. Then I got this long story about how they were going to get it and yada yada yada. Finally she admitted that the Apple Pay terminals were at some but not hers. Wow! Guess I should check first to make sure I'm at the right terminal before ordering. She was a real ding bat and looked at me as if I had horns growing out of my head when I mentioned Apple Pay. Geeeez.

BTW, if she's reading this (Yeah, right) . . . . yes I'm talking about you; Lady at Panera on Main Street.

Last edited:

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I used it for the first time today at Walgreens and it was an absolute joy. Not only was the clerk excited to see the watch, but it took me about 3 seconds to pay. My hands were full at the time, so it was great to not have to pull out my wallet. Love it.

Do I have to mention that I'm using NFC to wirelessly pay or can I just use my watch to pay when it's time without the clerk pressing a different button? Does anyone know? Thanks.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I have an iPhone 5S but I expect to get the next iPhone whenever it's released.
Had to wait until my contract with AT&T expires to get a new phone.
So, until I got my Apple Watch I wasn't able to use it.

My first experience was at Panera. I ordered then told her I was using Apple Pay. To which she replied we don't have it. I asked why not and if only some Panera stores had it. Then I got this long story about how they were going to get it and yada yada yada. Finally she admitted that the Apple Pay terminals were at some but not hers. Wow! Guess I should check first to make sure I'm at the right terminal before ordering. She was a real ding bat and looked at me as if I had horns growing out of my head when I mentioned Apple Pay. Geeeez.

BTW, if she's reading this (Yeah, right) . . . . yes I'm talking about you; Lady at Panera on Main Street.

As I sad up above, in my experience don't say a word or ask anything. Often times they are clueless or just plain wrong. Just look for an NFC terminal and try it. If it doesn't work then pull out your card.

I've paid literally DOZENS of times while the clerk is in the middle of saying "Oh that doesn't work here....wait....what....It worked?!?!?" :apple:

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
Works perfectly at Petco, but they do require a signature for large purchases. It's a little better now that I'm not pulling anything out of my pocket. Before when I'd pay it was no easier using Apple Pay on the phone than a card in my wallet since both required signature.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
As I sad up above, in my experience don't say a word or ask anything. Often times they are clueless or just plain wrong. Just look for an NFC terminal and try it. If it doesn't work then pull out your card.

I've paid literally DOZENS of times while the clerk is in the middle of saying "Oh that doesn't work here....wait....what....It worked?!?!?" :apple:

Will do . . . thanks!

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Works perfectly at Petco, but they do require a signature for large purchases. It's a little better now that I'm not pulling anything out of my pocket. Before when I'd pay it was no easier using Apple Pay on the phone than a card in my wallet since both required signature.

I agree. I think we wanted Apple Pay on the phone to be so cool and easy but it was harder than swiping a card, the security notwithstanding.

The watch really shows the point of Apple Pay though in my opinion. Its super fast and convenient.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I tried Shop Rite today. No good. It said Done on the watch but nothing went threw on the terminal :-(.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I've used mine at Sprouts, Nugget Market, Trader Joes, and a few other places. I was at some outlet mall today and used it to buy water from a vending machine. It's a lot easier than the phone because its already out on my wrist but sliding a card isn't exactly a taxing situation either :p

Maybe because its California but people don't seem to care or be wow'd by it. I think I've gotten maybe 1 or 2 comments from quite a few transactions.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I didn't really care about Apple Pay on my iPhone 6 because it was just as easy to pull my credit card out as it was to pull my phone out to pay for something. But with the Watch, it changes everything. I use it to buy groceries all the time and find that the process is so much quicker and more convenient.

whatos

macrumors 6502a
For those who like to draw attention to themselves and hope to impress others Apple pay is the answer. They justify it as such a time saver.

I don't have to be recognized by what is in my pocket (iPhone) or on my wrist (choice of watch).

If I'm going to use a card instead of cash, it's fast and easy to remove it from its dedicated location in my wallet, swipe, and put it back. It's just not a big deal.

The truly exciting benefit of Apple pay is the big profits Apple makes from it. Downplaying that fact is something Apple does masterfully, they've got the Apple Disciples convinced it's for their benefit.

Apples an amazing marketing machine. No wonder they have all the money :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Used my Watch to pay at Petco yesterday. Had my arms full, but was able to double tap the side button of my watch. Held up my wrist and paid. It was so fast I don't think the cashier even noticed what I did. Worked great.

starbot

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2005
Just as a credit card company does, they charge the merchant.. or maybe the issuer. Either way, definitely not the consumer-- no service would be so foolish!

how does apple pay make apple money?

do they charge the credit card companies?

they sure as **** aren't charging the consumer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.