Where's the best place you ever went on vacation?

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I am planning to go on a well-deserved vacation(haven't been anywhere in awhile). I was wondering where is the best place(s) YOU'VE been to? (in terms of scenery, attractions, and food).

If you can include some pictures as well, I would use them as possible decision points. THANKS!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I for sure enjoyed a four-week vacation in New Zealand; 8 years ago. Two weeks south, two weeks north. Going by car; no plans; staying in whatever hotel/motel I could find. Booked only at begin and end of the trip.
Lots of pictures done at that time.

Very nice nature/landscape. Very peaceful and slowed me down after a heavy project. Flying with helicopter on a volcano was also fun.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
For me, so far, by a long way, Italy. Fabulous food & wine, amazing history, incredible architecture and art, hospitable (exquisitely dressed) people, great climate, impressive landscape, out of this world cities.........

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I have to say Hawaii, I don't travel much, more so now with kids but when we do travel its places like Disney World. I'm not complaining about that (I love Florida) but Hawaii was really nice. :)

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
For me, so far, by a long way, Italy. Fabulous food & wine, amazing history, incredible architecture and art, hospitable (exquisitely dressed) people, great climate, impressive landscape, out of this world cities.........
This. Of all the countries I've been too, Italy is still my stand-out favourite. Rome is probably my favourite city in the world after visiting there.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
It depends on what you want to do and where you live now. If you want to lay on the beach and do nothing, then Hawaii or the Caribbean. If you want to go skiing, then some mountain resort. If you want all inclusive, then a cruise ship. I've travel across the US and Canada and recently came back from Vietnam and each trip is different. Best is relative.

One of my favorites is Vancouver and Vancouver Island during the summer. It's not too hot or too cold. The air is clean and refreshing. The Asian and seafood is incredible. The outdoor activities are fun like kayaking or whale watching.

Granville Island in Vancouver

Vancouver Aquarium

Ziptrekking in Whistler

Cabin in Tofino

Dinner at the Pointe in Tofino.

Salmon fishing in Port Alberni

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It depends on what you want to do and where you live now. If you want to lay on the beach and do nothing, then Hawaii or the Caribbean. If you want to go skiing, then some mountain resort. If you want all inclusive, then a cruise ship. I've travel across the US and Canada and recently came back from Vietnam and each trip is different. Best is relative.

One of my favorites is Vancouver and Vancouver Island during the summer. It's not too hot or too cold. The air is clean and refreshing. The Asian and seafood is incredible. The outdoor activities are fun like kayaking or whale watching.

Granville Island in Vancouver

Vancouver Aquarium

Ziptrekking in Whistler

Cabin in Tofino

Dinner at the Pointe in Tofino.

Salmon fishing in Port Alberni
I honeymooned on Vancouver Island and it was definitely worth it. I agree with your sentiments about vacations. It really depends on where you live now and where you want to go.

If I want to relax then Kaua'i, Hawai'i is my personal favorite so far. So laid back and so many hidden gorgeous beaches. It's no wonder Hollywood ends up using it's North Shore a lot of the time for paradise type shots.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Hawaii. In one day, I was hiking in a rainforest and biking through a desert -- 'nuff said, but I'll add more anyway. Pearl Harbor is very cool, active volcanoes are a scary-awesome, you can swim with sea turtles, see whales during certain times of the year, beautifully weather, Road to Hana, Haleakalā, the North Shore, and so much more.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea - the Society Islands.

When I was in Bora Bora ((about 15 years ago) it was, and probably still is, the paradise that everyone has in their head when they close their eyes and imagine what an island paradise is like.

The people are beautiful and wonderful to visitors. And every mailbox has an extra long, narrow box for the french bread you can have delivered daily!

The water is a blue that you cannot imagine, and the sky at night is a velvet black as I had never seen before, nor since (including Anguilla, Guadalupe, Aruba, and Curacao).

Bora Bora is not to be believed until seen...:D

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Vancouver Island: Its horrible, please don't come here ;)

Kauai: Beautiful, varied, lush, quiet beaches but too many chickens for me.

Maui: Beautiful but getting touristy.

Northern Italy: Scenery. Check. Attractions. Check. Food. Check. Check. Check!

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I was going to point about Vietnam as well.

Out of the whole coast, I would recommend:
Mui Ne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mui_Ne)

Also, it doesn't require much adventure as there's tons of tourists on the coast and mini-buses running all day every day.

I also really like everything around the Black Sea. Ukraine/Romania/Bulgaria and really worth the time and Istanbul is STUNNING (best urban area I've been to on the planet.)

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If I want to relax then Kaua'i, Hawai'i is my personal favorite so far. So laid back and so many hidden gorgeous beaches. It's no wonder Hollywood ends up using it's North Shore a lot of the time for paradise type shots.
My wife and I honeymooned in Hawaii. Spent 3 nights on the Big Island near Kona. Spent 5 nights on Kauai and 2 nights on Oahu. Best vacation I have ever had.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Ericksons Bay on Lake Ozette, Olympic National Park in Washington State. Boat accessible only and no motors allowed. The lake has one road in and one road out to the boat launch. It's the same road.

Dale

xpower180

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
UK/Dubai
We've just returned from Dubai, UAE.
Had a brilliant time...so good we've already booked to go back in October!