Where's the improved Camera!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by expresso, Jul 12, 2008.

1. expresso macrumors newbie

It's unbelievable to me that apple did not at least increase the megapixel to 4 or more on the camera in the new 3G phone. Unreal. That's one of the most important pieces of hardware in the thing as the current quality is decent, it still needs better exposure, and more pixels tofill in detail even more especially with all the new cool app store applications that will utilize your IPhone camera a ton now. Also, no zoom? wtf. They should at least have a 2x real zoom on this thing. Forget Digital zoom altogether. This thing doesn't even have a real zoom.'

Point is, if you made the camera that good to begin with, there's no reason not to improve on it also in each generation Iphone, just no excuse. It plays a huge part of our daily lives especially nowdays and with these new online apps.

And don't tell me it's a feat to do this. Apple has broken that barrier as we have seen in many ways. Adding improved pixel and functionality to the camera is a must. They failed on that part in my opinion with the new 3G. Now if you're one to day that more megapixel means more disk space required...SO WHAT! You now have higher quality pictures on the go, and you can take them off your Iphone if your disk gets to full...bit whoop. I'd much rather enjoy higher quality pictures coming off my IPhone at each new generation than 2 megapixels for the next 5 years. Lets face it, 2 megapixels has it's obvoius limitations. Now we have to wait (hopefully and unfortunately) for the 3rd Gen Iphone to have a higher megapixel camera and zoom. That depends on if Apple smartens up and realizes how important pictures really are to people and life.

I'm pretty sour about no improvement on that camera. Ridiculous. Seems like all manufacturers neglect that in all phones and to this day US is still only producing phones with 2 megapixel cameras and we've had only 2 megapixels for HOW LONG NOW??? A LONG TIME. Unacceptable. We have regular cameras on the market doing 10 megapixels for consumer cameras so why aren't the Phone cameras increasing in the technology a bit also?

Face it, Iphone is a tool. People expect most of the things to be upgraded not just one or two things each generation.

2. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Shut up and appreciate.

Anyways, I think he will be improved in the next iphone.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Hey dude, if a decent camera means so much to you, why don't you just buy a compact point and shoot 5MP or 7.2MP camera. Cell phones aren't really made to replace digital cameras yet, but there is probably a good reason why they didn't.

4. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

I always figured that camera phones were for cheap throw-away pics that you might send to a friend and delete. Any photos worth keeping would be taken with a real camera. That's just how I figured most people would use a phone on a camera.

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Wow, you must really like the iPhone camera. I dunno, to me the iPhone camera is like most cell phone cameras - something for taking quick pics of something to post on the internet or show your friends, or as a utility to remember something like a sign. And 2 megapixels with no zoom is definitely fine for that (a flash could come in handy, though). If I want to take a *real* picture, I pull out my *real* digital camera that is way better than anything you'd find in a normal cell phone (yet is still small and thin and relatively cheap).

I'm not saying Apple shouldn't improve the camera, but you make it sound like it's such a big deal. I'm sure that with the phone as damn thin as it is, it's really hard to fit much in there at all, so Apple has to pick and choose, and decide if something is worth making the iPhone bigger or thicker. And a higher-megapixel camera would require a larger image sensor, for what? 2 megapixels gives you 1600x1200 resolution pictures, about the same quality as a 4x5 taken from a film camera, which is fine for most people.

6. Archie- macrumors regular

There are plenty thinner phones with better cameras, usually with autofocus.

7. aphexii macrumors 6502

I can honestly say i've never seen someone so ticked off about something that is, IMO, such a minor issue.

No matter how high you bump the MP, the PQ is never gonna be fantastic, you dealing with tiny optics with a fixed focus lens. Sure they could bump up the optics and maybe add some real focus ability, but that always adds size and weight to the phone, something MOST iPhone customers wouldn't want.

While some newer camera phones do indeed do a good job, 95% of em still don't look as good as a real camera. Camera phones should be used to complement a real camera, not replace it.

8. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The camera is lame, and so is Apple at times. But in reality, I hardly ever use cameras on phones (most likely because they are crap).

I'm not really pissy about the quality, but the lack of video is kind of pathetic.

I will probably never use the camera on my 3g, it's just not something I really look for in a phone.

9. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Why are people still bent about the Iphone 3G camera? Who cares...I can see people bent over there not being video recording...but a phone camera? Show me a 3G phone for $199 with a 5 MP camera? Its does not exist. Show me a 3G phone with 16GB of flash memory and a 5MP+ camera for anywhere near $800?? It does not exist..

For apple to get the price down...they had to make compromises...You will probably get your 5+ mp camera with video iphone next year. Remember apple has to change the phone at least once of twice a year.

10. aphexii macrumors 6502

The closest thing your gonna get is a Nokia N95;

LINK

Good camera, but the phone is $600 and thick as a brick.

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Do they have the same size/quality multitouch screen filling all the space? 10 radios? A quality battery? Have you seen the inside of the iPhone, it's damn packed in there. And more megapixels = larger image sensor, DEFINITELY a physical zoom requires more space for a lens to move around.

12. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Well, there's the Nokia N95, with a 5 MP camera, 3G, 8GB or storage, and which is free on contract...

Not meaning to side against the iPhone here, I mean it is the greatest phone I've ever used and, to me, cameras in phones are used to capture things you see when you don't happen to have a real camera on you, but to say the iPhone's camera is not under-powered compared to others on the market is wrong.

13. Archie- macrumors regular

Take the Samsung Omnia, same thickness as the iPhone 3G, same 16 GB flash WITH microSD expansion, 3.2 inch screen, 5 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, FM radio, GPS, HSDPA, TV out, accelerometer, removable 1450 mAh battery, the whole song and dance.

[​IMG]

Apple could do it if they wanted to. There are many things they could do that they refuse to.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

No it isn't

If a cellphone camera's quality from 2-4 megapixels would play a big part in your daily life, you need to go to a Hannah Montana concert and not be on the mac forums.

No it isn't. See how many they sold? In your estimation, if it had been 4 megapixels, how many more would they have sold? (Not much more)

Flamebait, stop talking.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

They could add a 10MP DSLR camera to the thing and people would whine about a flash not being added.

They could allow video recording and people would whine that it's not HD.

I do wonder if people realized that the phone technically went UP in price (the non-contract price) because of the upgrades. It's also worth nothing that YOU HAVE 3G INTERNET AND GPS IN YOUR PHONE FOR $200 LESS. GDit, people. If you like these other poser phones so much, go buy a couple and join the N95 forum.

16. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

But where's OSX and app store? If samsung add them in then im sold.

17. Archie- macrumors regular

If you add OSX the bluetooth will no longer work right, the A2DP and OBEX will go away, as will bluetooth printing. Disk mode will no longer work. The 30fps video recording would go. The Divx certification would probably go away, and Skype would be banned.

Doesn't sound worth it for supermonkeyball.

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

We get it, you don't like the iPhone, and we all know the criticisms (fair and unfair) levied against it. We still like it, so learn to deal with it.

19. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

20. paj macrumors regular

paj

That's the way most people use a cellphone camera because they have no choice due on the low quality and functionality of most cellphone cameras.

Prior to the iPhone, most people visited websites on cellphones only on rare and essential occasions because the performance and functionality of cellphone browsers was limited. Same goes for email and listening to music on a cellphone. Apple changed all that with the inegrated iPod, safari and an HTML email client. It's only natural for people to expect the same improvements with the camera.

21. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Pictures that I take for keeps are done with a camera with a nice lens that has a cover on it. Are they going to add that to the iPhone? Is that a natural expectation for a phone?

I can see the logic of adding features to a phone that enhance communications - like a camera that takes throw-away pictures that you can send to someone for the purpose of communications. Quality pictures that are for keepers are naturally going to be done on a device designed for photography.

22. yellier35 macrumors newbie

all in one device is what everyone wants

I think the camera should be improved. I think by saying who cares its a phone its supposed to be crappy go buy a real camera then is a silly excuse. Why not have a phone that can replace your standalone camera. Obviously your not going to get a prof. camera quality. Besides, if your a male, who carries a camera in their pocket all the time. Phone's camera would be great less stuff to carry around. An all round device is what everyone wants anyway. Isn't that apples goal or the purpose of a smart phone? One device to rule all electronics moohahah.

23. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Buy a Nikon. The cam in the iphone takes good pictures. If your shooting a wedding, don't use a phone! Buy a camera!

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, now that we know your sexist underpinnings for your side of the argument...

There are professional male photographers, you know. If you think it's effeminate to carry around a camera, then why do you want one on an iPhone?

Demon cow?

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Here's what it comes down to:

If you want to take a great looking shot, you'd be an idiot to do it on a cell phone (save for that Sony Cybershot phone and maybe one or two others)

If you just need to take a quick snapshot of a sign, a piece of paper, a person's face, the difference between 2-4 megapixels doesn't really matter that much.

Besides, the camera *is* improved on the iPhone, it just has the same megapixels.