Which BitTorrent Client For macOS Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sovon Halder, Mar 11, 2018.

?

Which BitTorrent Client Do You Use?

1. uTorrent

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. BitTorrent

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. qBittorrent

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Deluge

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Transmission

46 vote(s)
    69.7%
  6. Folx

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Vuze

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. Others...

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Sovon Halder macrumors 6502

Sovon Halder

2. Meltber macrumors newbie

Meltber

I think Transmission is the best. Small size and fast. BitTorrent and μTorrent are full of malware & "pup"s.

3. 960design macrumors 68030

None.
    Mostly because I'd write backend JS that would hash digital currency for me while you browse via bit-torrent clients.

4. BLUEDOG314 macrumors 6502

BLUEDOG314

Anyway, to give you a serious answer with reasoning...I would have said uTorrent, but with the recent security flaw (something to do with remote code execution) I would say steer clear. Deluge is great in certain scenarios but probably not for use on a personal machine. The vague reason I always heard is that is was somehow more aggressive with finding peers but that is probably only important if ratio is of huge concern. Otherwise usability is the best with transmission I think.

5. Sovon Halder thread starter macrumors 6502

Sovon Halder

What about resource(battery) usage between uTorrent & Transmission? I found transmission to use a slightly less cpu than utorrent. Also I couldn't find don't-sleep-when-downloading on utorrent but transmission seems to have it.

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I would not use any torrent software on battery. That, in my opinion, is already a power-demanding use, and using that on battery is not a good choice.

7. jimthing, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

PSA: "uTorrent for Mac" is only a 32-bit app, so at this point anyone using it post-Mojave's macOS will have to find something else.

Why the uTorrent devs seemingly refuse to update the Mac version to 64-bit for 10.15 onwards (the Win version is 64-bit), is anyone's guess. I couldn't find any info on the site about it, including their forums...?

The other options all look bollocks to me. Setapp offers me Folx, which seems rather rubbish AFAIUI, and Transmission is, erm, not as good either. Am I missing something?

Or is there better out there?

Is the native BitTorrent app any good or is it gimped in some way or other?

8. Kraizelburg macrumors regular

9. loekf macrumors 6502a

loekf

qBittorrent

Only you have to self sign it to get rid of the firewall prompt each time it is started.

10. CptSky macrumors regular

I used uTorrent until in got full of crap (around 1.7.5). I switched to Transmission after.

11. gogydm macrumors newbie

Transmission and qBittorrent are best ones I've used.