Which car should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bamaworks, Jul 3, 2010.

?

Which car to get?

1. Volvo C30 R-Design

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Volkswagen GTI

32 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. Subaru WRX

18 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Mazda Speed3

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Other (please specify)

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. bamaworks macrumors 6502

So I'm unbelievably angry with my Jeep Commander as I just went off warranty (38months of ownership, 39000 total miles) and found out today that my transfer case is going out ($1000 rebuild or $2200 replacement), so I'm getting this repaired and I'm trading this beast in and want to switch it up. My wife has a VW Jetta and I love driving it, so have decided to go a similar route.

Right now I'm deciding among these cars:

Volvo C30 R-Design
    Volkswagen GTI
    Subaru WRX
    Mazda Speed3

Curious if anyone has advice or insight on these cars, particularly the Volvo because they currently offer the 5 Year full Warranty and 5 years free scheduled maintenance. Or if you have a suggestion of a vehicle I'm not considering, feel free to post. I want a smaller car that gets good mileage, but is also fun to drive.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

All of your choices are much better quality machines than the Jeep brand. However, they are also more expensive to repair. Not sure about VW, though, they could be more reasonable.

That said, if you're buying new, you'll probably get a very good warranty (as you state on the Volvo).

3. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

GTI, or just a regular Golf Diesel would be my advice. Plus, they are cheaper to repair than the others and they have great resale value.

4. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've been researching the GTI this morning, very nice cars and performance for the dollar, and was totally amazed by the resale value. I'd say the GTI is my leader with the C30 in second at the moment.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

6. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

Boo. Trying to keep it sub $30 grand, I'm saving for a big down payment on a home :).

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I know. I was mostly just trying to be facetious. :)

8. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

In that case, this would be my choice:

[​IMG]

Yes, please. :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

However, the best car is probably the VW, although the most reliable and best overall is probably the Mazda3. I think the Subaru WRX is ugly. Sorry, but it appears that Subaru just looked at the Mazda3 sport and said, "Yup, we like how it looks. Make it the same, but slightly different."

The Volvo C30 is probably going to be a collector's item simply due to its design being well ahead of its time. Seriously. It was also redesigned (mainly the front and suspension) for this year, and the changes make it something I'd probably love to own. However, it's expensive, not the best car, and not the most practical (only has 4 seats!).

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

doesnt the transfer case fall under the power train warranty? Those are generally 5 years 60,000 miles.

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

MINI Cooper S. Cheap, fun, fast and fuel efficient (over 500 miles in a tank). :cool:

12. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

Dealer said I didn't have a powertrain warranty.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And you dealer is full of ****. That warranty is provided by Jeep. If they refuse to honor contact corporate and they tend to come done pretty hard on dealers for not honoring the warranty.

All cars sold get the 36k 3 year bumper to bumper and a 5 year 60k power train.

On top of all that you have another warranty on your emission that is something like 80 or 100k and 8 year that is required by law (the others are not required by law)

edit: I did some checking. Jeep has a life time power train warranty so it is covered. Go google some stuff on it print it out and shove it back done on them.

14. bamaworks thread starter macrumors 6502

How strange, on the phone Jeep said I didn't have any sort of warranty on the part...\

EDIT: By my research this year, make, and model only has 3 years 36000 on the Drivetrain, same as my regular warranty.

15. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

How about the Volvo, though I am sure Ford sold Volvo now?

Or 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I use to have a GTI VR6 about 10 years ago (loved that car). I got to drive one of my friends Subaru WRX STi's. It was leaps and bounds more fun to drive than the Volkswagen. If you do happen to get a manual transmission car you should look at getting a short throw shift kit. It makes the gear throws microscopic and much more fun to drive. There is no substitute for a car with a clutch.

17. countrykid333 macrumors member

My vote goes to the GTI or the WRX. Both are excellent cars, although the Subaru may seem a little bit 'quirky' for some. The styling both exterior and interior are kinda out there. I personally have grown to love Subarus living in a northern climate, but the AWD earns its keep even on dry roads. I have no complaints about mine and everyone I know swears by theirs.

I think you'll love either car, it sounds like you're just about sold on the GTI, but if you haven't looked already Id recommend a trip by the subaru dealer.

Good luck!

18. bob.loblaw macrumors member

BMW CPO 3 series. 0.9% financing, 100k warranty, free maintenance to 50k. And someone else eats the new car depreciation.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Mini Cooper, although repairs can be tad high.

20. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

This.

Been driving BMW cpo's for 12 years.

You cannot go wrong, everything is covered...everything except tires period.

They even cover the windshield wiper blades.

BMW ftw. No other cars drive like it.

21. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I got a '09 GTI about a year ago. I have never had so much fun with a car. Best combination of affordability, fit & finish and performance I can imagine. 6 speed. Fun as hell.

WRX is faster and lacks torque steer but I believe it's lots more expensive.
    Speed3 is faster but not as classy IMHO. I don't know the Volvo.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Go into the dealer and say you want it fixed, and fixed now. If not you will make a huge stink about it. They will fix it.

23. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

Subaru. period.

the only new car i've ever owned, and the most reliable car i've ever owned. purchased new in 2001, and have done normal maintenance required of any car.

only problem in 10+ years was a stuck thermostat that caused the radiator to boil out. 20 minutes later, filled it back up with water and drove to a dealer. 120k, several trips across the US, and loving every minute of it. best of luck.

24. Frisco macrumors 68020

Lexus ES.

Stay away from the German and Swedish trash.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd call the number in the warranty book, and look at the TSBs for that vehicle.

When the intake coolant crossover blew on the Crown Vic, the dealer looked the car up and said it would be $1000 because the vehicle was out of warranty.

I called Ford and found that the warranty was still good, pissed the dealer off and they said that OK Ford will now pay ... but the car is falling apart and needs $1800 in additional repairs. :rolleyes:

---

The vehicle may be covered by a secret warranty or still in warranty depending on what deals were running when you bought it. Calling the warranty hotline is always worth a shot, especially if there is a TSB on the broken part.