Which carrier do you think the Apple high-ups will choose?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WiiDSmoker, Jan 12, 2011.

1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I'm really curious to know if Jobs, Cook, and various others stay on AT&T or migrate to Verizion.

2. rikbrown macrumors regular

For anyone who travels internationally - particularly to Europe - surely a CDMA network is a stupid choice due to limited roaming?

Or can CDMA phones roam to GSM abroad?

3. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

likely the gsm version because its international and you can use data/voice simultaneously

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

CDMA phones can (obviously) only be used on CDMA networks.

As you say, most countries (including all of Europe) do not have CDMA networks.

Some CDMA phones also feature GSM or UMTS functionality that allows them to work on networks in countries that don't use CDMA (Verizon calls these "Global Phones".

The Verizon iPhone 4 (CDMA) is not a Global Phone and doesn't feature any support for GSM or UMTS.

5. rikbrown macrumors regular

As I suspected then. So obviously anyone who's going to do any world travelling - e.g. company execs - would be stupid to have a CDMA iPhone.

In fact, as a European, I can't comprehend why anyone would pick a CDMA network over a GSM one? Or why two incompatible network types would exist today. Care to enlighten the benefits?

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Those with iPhones are probably already using AT&T. I don't know why'd they switch without good reason, so I'd guess they'd stay with AT&T.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I certainly wouldn't pick a CDMA phone, but then again if you are picking a phone for the first time and you are choosing between carriers on the basis of coverage/pricing it probably doesn't matter much to you about the different standards.

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Why would anybody care?

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Forgot to say, I doubt that Steve Jobs has only one iPhone!

10. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

You can bet your house that Verizon and AT&T care and each would like the answer to be them.

11. Geckotek, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If you live in an area where GSM reception sucks...CDMA is likely a better choice.

Competition.

I would guess if said execs lived in an area where AT&T sucked (NorCal anyone?) then they would probably have a CDMA iPhone. And if they traveled they would carry a GSM iPhone for that occasion. It would be easy for them to have 2 devices, especially since everything can be synced up on iTunes or Mobile Me.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think either company would care. Both phones look the same and I doubt a savvy business man like Jobs would state his preference. He wants the phone to sell on both networks. Honestly, I doubt anyone will know.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Who knows? Maybe their subscribed with Fido and just roam the whole time :D:D

14. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Geeez, ya don't think they have one of each and use whichever gets them the most PR *for* Apple at the moment. Heck, I'd even switch 'em around from week to week just to give them all fair play.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

They also probably don't care or even know ... as long as it works :cool:

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You will know at the next Apple conference. Pay attention to the carrier name on the phone Steve uses. That should tell you :)

17. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Because in America, CDMA has been around a long time. Its old, outdated technology, but since its been around so long, it has great coverage in areas where GSM is lacking.
    GSM is better in every way (simultaneous voice+data, much faster speeds, clearer quality, upgradable to advanced tech etc...) except that there is more CDMA coverage, and CDMA penetrates barriers better.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Who cares what Apple high-ups or anyone chooses?
    You gotta pick what works the best for you and your local area's coverage should play a big role in that decision IMO.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Another response by someone who knows nothing about the history of CDMA and GSM. I hate people that post without looking into the subject first.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't care which provider they choose.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It would depend upon AT&T letting them out of that ridiculous ETF.

22. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Better yet, look for the physical variations.

23. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

If I were them, I'd carry both. One for business, one for pleasure.

24. fishmoose macrumors 68000

They are probably staying on AT&T just because of roaming and faster data speeds, these things are probably more important to business users than we can imagine. But I bet they have both for testing purposes.

25. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I tell you, folks these days do anything to come up with a new thread. Go spam a blog instead