Which carriers are the best/most greedy ?

1-4 = The best in quality 5-8 = The most greedy. Pick one from each grouping

• at&t

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • t-mobile

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • sprint

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • verizon

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • AT&T

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • T-mobile

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Sprint

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Verizon

Votes: 31 57.4%

• Total voters

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I believe AT&T Is the best currently for it's quality and T-Mobile is the second best. The cheapest but not amazing quality. THE WORST Is Verizon. They have gotten super greedy based on many people's experience with them and the quality is not the best either. Verizon used to be the best back in 2010/2011 but ever since 2012 they have gotten more and more greedy.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Verizon is the most greedy.
I would've put AT&T next to Verizon, but they've done some changes which make them better.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Subjective at best... every person's opinion is flavored by their own personal experiences with the carriers

I have AT&T and have had them ever since I got my first iPhone (3GS)
Before that I had a Sprint flip phone

Sprint was terrible even back then
I have had no issues with AT&T's coverage or service

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Verizon is the best quality carrier, but they're also the greediest. I have AT&T and my wife has Verizon. I believe she'll be switching to AT&T soon; they both have very good coverage where we live and AT&T is less expensive.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
THE WORST Is Verizon. They have gotten super greedy based on many people's experience with them and the quality is not the best either. Verizon used to be the best back in 2010/2011 but ever since 2012 they have gotten more and more greedy.
Yeah Verizon is greedy, but where I am they are the best in coverage. Southern California, by the way.

Out here, T-Mobile is the worst in terms of coverage, followed by Sprint in 3rd and AT&T in 2nd. They're pretty much all bad, except Verizon. When my iPhone's antenna decides to act right, I rarely get 1x, normally get 2 bars wherever I go, as long as it isn't to far of the grid.

AT&T is really only good by the freeways and in the newer side of town. I don't know anyone who has Sprint, but I hear that it isn't the greatest in my area. T-Mobile is absolutely terrible. A friend has them because they are cheap and offer free international calls, but says the coverage is terrible unless they goes into Los Angeles or near the beach. They do get 4G, but no LTE.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Some people value coverage more than price
Some people value price more than coverage

Some people have had great customer service experiences with a carrier
Others have had nightmares with the same carrier

Each carrier has its strengths and weaknesses
And coverage is dependent on where you are located and your own experience

You have to find the best balance of coverage for your area, price and customer service... and that will vary widely and be subject to personal preferences

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

You have to find the best balance of coverage for your area, price and customer service... and that will vary widely and be subject to personal preferences
Well put. Plenty of threads (pretty much on any topic) ultimately really come down to that and not much more.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Over the years I've felt that Verizon charged more then the quality of their services. In my area anyway. Even with Fios. I've ended up canceling all my Verizon services.

I still use a work phone that is on Verizon and their 3G is brutally slow. Their LTE has good coverage but not very fast compared to AT&T (again in my area).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Spend enough time on MR and you don't need a poll to know that on average, Verizon has the best service and easily takes the cake for being most greedy, as it charges more and refuses to allow customers keep grandfathered unlimited without paying full price.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Spend enough time on MR and you don't need a poll to know that on average, Verizon has the best service and easily takes the cake for being most greedy, as it charges more and refuses to allow customers keep grandfathered unlimited without paying full price.
And ATT will allow you to keep you unlimited data but it throttles after 5 gig. Tmobile will allow unlimited data, however the coverage has to work for you. Sprint is trying to get rid of it's grandfathered unlimited plan.

Pick your poison.

----------

Over the years I've felt that Verizon charged more then the quality of their services. In my area anyway. Even with Fios. I've ended up canceling all my Verizon services.

I still use a work phone that is on Verizon and their 3G is brutally slow. Their LTE has good coverage but not very fast compared to AT&T (again in my area).
I'm not hot on FIOS and I use another internet and tv provider (competition is good) however your post shows as everyone knows, cell coverage varies by the inch. Lte in my area is blazing fast, 3G is quite acceptable. With my unlimited data, subsidies and discounts, vzw is worth every penny as I travel all over the place.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Yeah Verizon is greedy, but where I am they are the best in coverage. Southern California, by the way.

Out here, T-Mobile is the worst in terms of coverage, followed by Sprint in 3rd and AT&T in 2nd. They're pretty much all bad, except Verizon. When my iPhone's antenna decides to act right, I rarely get 1x, normally get 2 bars wherever I go, as long as it isn't to far of the grid.

AT&T is really only good by the freeways and in the newer side of town. I don't know anyone who has Sprint, but I hear that it isn't the greatest in my area. T-Mobile is absolutely terrible. A friend has them because they are cheap and offer free international calls, but says the coverage is terrible unless they goes into Los Angeles or near the beach. They do get 4G, but no LTE.
I'm in central cal do you think T-Mobile is as bad here as well? I am really thinking of going over to them from AT&T as 2 in our family would like Smartphones soon not just me. It is WAY cheaper compared to AT&T as I am paying about 100 bucks and some change for an iPhone and a freaking flip phone w/ no data. I can pay nearly the same at T-Mobile but with 2 smart phone plans.

I looked up tmobile coverage and it shows just 4G in my area and in the biggest city next to me....so guess am out of luck for LTE which I do have with AT&T right now so this is the tradeoff? am willing to sacrifice that as with AT&T we don't have text plans, is it really true with T-Mobile you have unlimited text to anybody or is it just mobile to mobile?

How is 4G is it that bad if thats all that is available (how is Navigation using 4G)? Can T-Mobile users tell me more about their experience(s)?

Last edited:

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I recently switched our 4 lines of service from Verizon to T-Mobile, after being a Verizon customer since 2001. Coverage was very good with Verizon, but saving $100/month was worth switching. The T-Mobile coverage in our area is very good, and Verizon simply wasn't willing to work with me to lower the monthly bill.

For awhile I carried an ATT phone for work as well as my personal Verizon phone, and was quite disappointed at ATT's coverage compared to Verizon, esp in larger cities.

I get less signal strength while traveling with T-Mobile but it's still good coverage. My work phone and MiFI are now Verizon and the coverage is still fantastic.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. Coverage just depends on to many things to say that there is a best carrier across the almost 3.8 million square miles of the United States.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Agreed. Coverage just depends on to many things to say that there is a best carrier across the almost 3.8 million square miles of the United States.
Here in Broomfield Colorado, T-Mobile has the best coverage out of AT&T and Verizon. With AT&T and Verizon, I could never get data at my house and T-Mobile has got me covered everywhere I go, even at home where I get LTE.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I'm in central cal do you think T-Mobile is as bad here as well? I am really thinking of going over to them from AT&T as 2 in our family would like Smartphones soon not just me. It is WAY cheaper compared to AT&T as I am paying about 100 bucks and some change for an iPhone and a freaking flip phone w/ no data. I can pay nearly the same at T-Mobile but with 2 smart phone plans.

I looked up tmobile coverage and it shows just 4G in my area and in the biggest city next to me....so guess am out of luck for LTE which I do have with AT&T right now so this is the tradeoff? am willing to sacrifice that as with AT&T we don't have text plans, is it really true with T-Mobile you have unlimited text to anybody or is it just mobile to mobile?

How is 4G is it that bad if thats all that is available (how is Navigation using 4G)? Can T-Mobile users tell me more about their experience(s)?
You would have to test that for your self. I've never heard anything about TMO in Central Cali.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Here in Broomfield Colorado, T-Mobile has the best coverage out of AT&T and Verizon. With AT&T and Verizon, I could never get data at my house and T-Mobile has got me covered everywhere I go, even at home where I get LTE.
Even then, that's not an entirely accurate statement because I can guarantee you there's a house within a mile of you where AT&T and Verizon have excellent LTE coverage and nothing on T-Mobile.

The best carrier is the one that works in the place wheres you live, work and spend most of your time.

AutoUnion39

macrumors 601
Jun 21, 2010
Another classic DBZboy thread. :D

AT&T and VZW are the best and most greedy. Frankly...who cares? I pay a good amount of money for reliable and fast coverage and only two carriers can provide that nationwide. They are AT&T and VZW. Sprint and T-Mobile don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Another classic DBZboy thread. :D

AT&T and VZW are the best and most greedy. Frankly...who cares? I pay a good amount of money for reliable and fast coverage and only two carriers can provide that nationwide. They are AT&T and VZW. Sprint and T-Mobile don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.
Frankly I couldn't agree more. If you do not need nationwide coverage you can certainly go with T-Mobile. But somehow I tend to be in all corners of the US and need a carrier that cuts a wide swath.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
And ATT will allow you to keep you unlimited data but it throttles after 5 gig. Tmobile will allow unlimited data, however the coverage has to work for you. Sprint is trying to get rid of it's grandfathered unlimited plan.

Pick your poison.

----------

I'm not hot on FIOS and I use another internet and tv provider (competition is good) however your post shows as everyone knows, cell coverage varies by the inch. Lte in my area is blazing fast, 3G is quite acceptable. With my unlimited data, subsidies and discounts, vzw is worth every penny as I travel all over the place.

Meh CDMA 3G. Even at it's absolute fastest is extremely slow compared to ATT's HPSA+.

As far as travel I depend on the the iPhone not Verizon. Verizon's only limited to a small portion of the world. My talk coverage across the states is very good but data is hit or miss. I'm actually in Atlantic City, NJ right now and I have the fastest 3G I've ever seen. ~2 mbs which is nearing the limit of Verizon's 3G speed.

I'd say average off the top of my head is .5 mbs 3G and 4-5 mbs LTE. Anything over 1 mbs I feel is acceptable of a phone and my usage.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Meh CDMA 3G. Even at it's absolute fastest is extremely slow compared to ATT's HPSA+.

As far as travel I depend on the the iPhone not Verizon. Verizon's only limited to a small portion of the world. My talk coverage across the states is very good but data is hit or miss. I'm actually in Atlantic City, NJ right now and I have the fastest 3G I've ever seen. ~2 mbs which is nearing the limit of Verizon's 3G speed.

I'd say average off the top of my head is .5 mbs 3G and 4-5 mbs LTE. Anything over 1 mbs I feel is acceptable of a phone and my usage.
(Hmm Im 60 miles north of you)

Its true verizon is limited to a small portion of the world, but a huge part of the US. My local tower here in the great garden state delivers 55+ downstream LTE, and up to 2to3 3g. Certainly acceptable. I travel to the boondocks and i agree that like Att data is always a hit or miss proposition.

As i said pick your poision.