Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What color M2 MBA are you getting (or is your favorite)?

• Silver

Votes: 28 16.9%
  • Space Gray

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • Starlight

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • Midnight

Votes: 66 39.8%

• Total voters

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Gonna be asked sooner or later so may as well do public service. :D

If I was going to get one, it would be starlight, but I'm on the fence about replacing my M1 as the M2 doesn't fix the eye strain problem that causes me to almost never use the laptop.

Last edited:

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
Midnight for me. It goes well with the Space Gray in my Apple arsenal. It will not show the greasy finger prints from my hands when using it in my garage. I am a Certified You Tube mechanic after all...

Reactions: New York

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Did something I'd never expect I'd do. Went to the Apple Store to check out the new colours. I've had Midnight on order (with a delivery next week for 24GB/2TB) as I love the idea of a blue Mac. It isn't really blue though.

Now, I wouldn't say it looked BAD in the store. But honestly I was disappointed after spending some time with it. The fingerprint thing is real. I was in the store 15mins after it opened early Sunday morning, so there were very few customers. All the devices were freshly cleaned and the Midnight Macbook looked horrid. You can see every print. The shop personal actively tried to discourage me from buying it as they were tired of wiping it already.

Next to it they had Starlight. Now, while I am not a fan of silvery Macs (if anything I loved the yellow Gold of the 2017 Macbook I owned), the Starlight one looks like fine jewlery next to the Midnight. You can't see prints and the colour has something that just says value.

In contrast after spending 10 mins with the Midnight model and stepping away and towards it, it reminded me of a generic PC laptop. Guess it doesn't help I owned Thinkpads 20 years ago...

So off I went, canceled my online order and made a new one for Starlight. Sadly now it's a 3 week wait instead of 1 but I don't regret it one bit.

IMG_4213.jpg
IMG_4214-Enhanced.jpg

Last edited:

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
Did something I'd never expect I'd do. Went to the Apple Store to check out the new colours. I've had Midnight on order (with a delivery next week for 24GB/2TB) as I love the idea of a blue Mac.

Now, I wouldn't say it looked BAD in the store. But honestly I was disappointed after spending some time with it. The fingerprint thing is real. I was in the store 15mins after it opened early Sunday morning, so there were very few customers. All the devices were freshly cleaned and the Midnight Macbook looked horrid. You can see every print. The shop personal actively tried to discourage me from buying it as they were tired of wiping it already.

Next to it they had Starlight. Now, while I am not a fan of silvery Macs (if anything I loved the yellow Gold of the 2017 Macbook I owned), the Starlight one looks like fine jewlery next to the Midnight. You can't see prints and the colour has something that just says value.

In contrast after spending 10 mins with the Midnight model and stepping away and towards it, it reminded me of a generic PC laptop. Guess it doesn't help I owned Thinkpads 20 years ago...

So off I went, canceled my online order and made a new one for Starlight. Sadly now it's a 3 week wait instead of 1 but I don't regret it one bit.

what specs did you get. im still on the specs menu LOL.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I was thinking space gray, but now I’m leaning toward starlight. From I’m everything I hear, the starlight doesn’t really show fingerprints. I’ll check them out in store soon!

• Love
Reactions: calstanford

Davidnguyen_89

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2021
8core GPU, 24GB RAM, 2TB. I have a lot of files I like to keep locally and do photo editing with my large camera. So more RAM comes in handy. Was pondering the 10 core GPU but with throttling that makes no sense to me to pay extra for.

for simple usage like browsing watching videos what you think would be good? i have alot of photos on my phone as well. maybe that takes alot of memory if i have them saved onto the laptops.

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022
Fully agree. I ordered Starlight a week ago, after expecting I would go with Midnight since the colors were unveiled in June. The more I looked at photos of both, the more Midnight just looked dark gray, like my work laptop, and the more Starlight looked like white gold or a very warm silver, and I liked it. And I have never wanted a gold laptop or phone before.

I finally saw the machines in person in a store today. In good light, I saw more blue in the Midnight than I had expected, but when the sun went behind a cloud and the otherwise well-lit Apple store got a bit dimmer, it shifted to a dark gray. The issue with fingerprints bothered me less than I expected, but they certainly were visible.

Meanwhile, Starlight looked fantastic regardless of the kind or amount of light it was getting. Like you said, it just seems to exude value in a very classy, understated fashion.

Mine arrives on Monday, if UPS's projections hold. Hope you'd don't have to wait too much longer for yours!

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Fully agree. I ordered Starlight a week ago, after expecting I would go with Midnight since the colors were unveiled in June. The more I looked at photos of both, the more Midnight just looked dark gray, like my work laptop, and the more Starlight looked like white gold or a very warm silver, and I liked it. And I have never wanted a gold laptop or phone before.

I finally saw the machines in person in a store today. In good light, I saw more blue in the Midnight than I had expected, but when the sun went behind a cloud and the otherwise well-lit Apple store got a bit dimmer, it shifted to a dark gray. The issue with fingerprints bothered me less than I expected, but they certainly were visible.

Meanwhile, Starlight looked fantastic regardless of the kind or amount of light it was getting. Like you said, it just seems to exude value in a very classy, understated fashion.

Mine arrives on Monday, if UPS's projections hold. Hope you'd don't have to wait too much longer for yours!
Late first week, early second week of August projected. But it's worth it. It really looks like a more valuable machine and less than a company-supplied work laptop in Starlight.

New York

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I was thinking space gray, but now I’m leaning toward starlight. From I’m everything I hear, the starlight doesn’t really show fingerprints. I’ll check them out in store soon!
I definitely recommend checking them out in store, I switched my order after doing so. In the keynote I though the Midnight looked like a sleek James Bond machine… not so much in person. The Starlight looks quite tacky to me in the Apple store photos but I found it much more subtle in person.

New York

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
surprised silver is so low in the ranking given it resist scratches and decoloration the best
Silver is a classic. I’m upgrading from a 2016 silver MacBook and wanted my new one to look a bit different, so didn’t go with silver this time, but I’m sure by the time I upgrade next (in 5+ years) I’ll think the silver looks fresh and will happily buy it again.

fcracer

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2017
surprised silver is so low in the ranking given it resist scratches and decoloration the best
In Beijing, I can’t find any silver M2 MBA on display. Checked two apple stores and they have midnight, space grey and starlight to look at, but no silver. Do your apple stores have silver on display?

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
It's weird that in this poll starlight is winning whereas in this one, midnight is winning. Maybe the difference is that this poll was started after the units actually became available and this therefore more accurate?

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I guess everyone’s opinions differ In person. I was very happy with the midnight in person, helped me confirm to order that colour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.