Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Though I probably won't be ordering one since I have a base model 14" Pro, if I were, I would get the 8core-10core with 512GB SSD and upgrade to 16GB for $1699.00. I would love the lighter body since I carry it just about everywhere I go throughout the day, but until I can see one in person I worry the screen will be a lot worse than the 14" Pro's which is phenomenal.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Since my MBA M2 is replacing my desktop, I am going with 1 TB storage. I will also upgrade to 16 GB of memory. I dont think for my needs I would want to spend $100 for 10 core GPU vs 8 core GPU so, I will most like go with 8 core GPU. As far as the color goes, it wil be either space gray or mighnight - gold and silver are out of the question.
With the EDU discount this machine will run me $1659, plus tax.

FloridaMac86

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
So, i see lots of people talking about the EDU discount... Can anyone process an order with the education discount these days? Doesn't apple do an extra verification level now?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm still debating if I want to order a MBA M2. I have the 16 MBP practically maxed out. I just find it heavy to carry. Going back I wish I'd gone for the 14 and then add a studio but at the time it wasn't available and who knows what would have been back then. I don't really travel much but this summer I'm in charge of a teen travel program so having a light computer is ideal. After that I don't know if I'll use it much.
I'd probably do the 512/16 but at 1700 plus tax and AppleCare that's getting pricy for what I'd do with it. Curious to know if apple will have other configurations in stock.

Statcoder

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2013
I’m going to be ordering whatever is available for delivery July 15. If it’s just the two base configurations on the Apple Store (8GPU/8GB/256GB or 10GPU/8GB/512GB) I guess it will be the latter. I don’t know if the 16GB CPU configurations will be available on launch day as I haven’t ordered a MacBook in a while.

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
16/512 Midnight MBA to replace a base 2016 MBP that was upgraded to 16/512. I do CAD work, run Bootcamp for Windows apps, dabble with GarageBand/MainStage and tend to have a lot of browser tabs open. I may not need to run Windows apps on the MBA but if I do try Parallels then 16GB RAM will be almost essential. I could get away with 256GB SSD but there is that slow single SSD chip issue that is likely to carry over to the M2 MBA.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Anyone know how long of a wait it will be if upgrade to 16gb? Do they stock them ever?

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Since my MBA M2 is replacing my desktop, I am going with 1 TB storage. I will also upgrade to 16 GB of memory. I dont think for my needs I would want to spend $100 for 10 core GPU vs 8 core GPU so, I will most like go with 8 core GPU. As far as the color goes, it wil be either space gray or mighnight - gold and silver are out of the question.
With the EDU discount this machine will run me $1659, plus tax.
what does the extra 2 GPUs accomplish? can it unlock higher scaled resolutions on ultra wide monitors?

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
what does the extra 2 GPUs accomplish? can it unlock higher scaled resolutions on ultra wide monitors?
Would be interesting to see what the extra 2c GPU can offer performance wise, and how it will affect the battery.

As for price difference, its only 120€, but the 8c version come with 30w charger, and if you want the dual 35w or 67w versions, it cost extra 20€…

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
Apparently I’m in the minority here, but I’m doing base model with base specs (8 core processor, 8gigs RAM, 256 SSD), midnight.

My usage is mostly Microsoft Office apps, safari with rarely more than 5 tabs open, and basic Apple apps (music, notes, messages, reminders, etc). Between having One Drive for my work/Microsoft files, and iCloud for most everything else I don’t anticipate even coming close to the 256 limit.

Not worried about the RAM either, I’ve had 8 gigs of RAM before and have never come close to that being an issue with my use case.

Last edited:

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Apparently I’m in the minority here, but I’m doing base model with base specs (8 core processor, 8gigs RAM, 256 SSD), midnight.

My usage is mostly Microsoft Office apps, safari with rarely more than 5 tabs open, and basic Apple apps (music, notes, messages, reminders, etc). Between having One Drive for my work/Microsoft files, and iCloud for most everything else I don’t anticipate even coming close to the 256 limit.
but I have 160gb photos/video

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
midnight 8/512. i've lived 6 years on a basic 2016 12" macbook (8/256), and i still have 140 GB free (i do my heavy lifting on an imac). but i can surf, email, write, play spotify, do photo editing or update my website on the MB... and have never had any memory issues.

so, 8GB RAM on the silicon chip should be amazing....
Tim isn't going to get much of a bonus with that attitude LOL...

Seriously though I see lots of configs here that are just as expensive or more than the base model 14" MBP. This is fine if you're buying the Air to be thin and light but if you're trying to buy an Air because it's Apple's cheapest laptop then making it more expensive than the more powerful 14" MBP it doesn't make sense.

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
but I have 160gb photos/video
I use iCloud Photo Library which helps with this. I’m in a situation where I don’t need every photo/video downloaded to my device in full resolution at all times. As long as I’m able to see a preview of everything, I’m ok with clicking a photo and waiting the 1 second for the full res to download when I need it. (I understand people who want everything downloaded on the device though, just not something I need).

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I use iCloud Photo Library which helps with this. I’m in a situation where I don’t need every photo/video downloaded to my device in full resolution at all times. As long as I’m able to see a preview of everything, I’m ok with clicking a photo and waiting the 1 second for the full res to download when I need it. (I understand people who want everything downloaded on the device though, just not something I need).
you have to be connected to wifi or use hotspot though to see them

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
you have to be connected to wifi or use hotspot though to see them
In my experience I could see all them even if not on WiFi, it just won’t/can’t download the full resolution version unless I’m connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaruLV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.