Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022
I am not too concerned with instant access to full-size versions of my photos, but would prefer to have them on my laptop simply so I have full-size copies somewhere other than the cloud. I'll back up to Time Machine as well.

Reactions: russell_314

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Seriously though I see lots of configs here that are just as expensive or more than the base model 14" MBP. This is fine if you're buying the Air to be thin and light but if you're trying to buy an Air because it's Apple's cheapest laptop then making it more expensive than the more powerful 14" MBP it doesn't make sense.

The M2 (as well as the base M1 Pro) having plenty of power for most people, but price wise, the base 14” MBP with 1TB cost 2480€ (and 2940€ with 32GB), while the base M2 MBA with 24GB and 1TB cost 2420€ (or plus 120€ for 10c GPU), so i prefer the extra memory with thin and light body over the base 14” with 1TB.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The M2 (as well as the base M1 Pro) having plenty of power for most people, but price wise, the base 14” MBP with 1TB cost 2480€ (and 2940€ with 32GB), while the base M2 MBA with 24GB and 1TB cost 2420€ (or plus 120€ for 10c GPU), so i prefer the extra memory with thin and light body over the base 14” with 1TB.

In the USA 16 GB RAM/ 512 GB SSD prices are $1699 for the Air and $1999 for the Pro. That means the air is only $300 cheaper. For that $300 you get a much better screen, much more performance, faster SSD, multiple external monitor support and I’m sure stuff I’m forgetting about.

With the air you get thinner and lighter.

It’s all about what you’re needs and wants are but I was just pointing out for people only buying the MacBook Air for its low price but adding a bunch of upgrades it doesn’t make sense. It only has a low base price but once you start adding additional upgrades it’s no longer cheap.

Reactions: VaruLV

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
So, i see lots of people talking about the EDU discount... Can anyone process an order with the education discount these days? Doesn't apple do an extra verification level now?
I think they just send an email to your school email address. It’s not very complicated

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
In the USA 16 GB RAM/ 512 GB SSD prices are $1699 for the Air and $1999 for the Pro. That means the air is only $300 cheaper. For that $300 you get a much better screen, much more performance, faster SSD, multiple external monitor support and I’m sure stuff I’m forgetting about.

It’s all about what you’re needs and wants are but I was just pointing out for people only buying the MacBook Air for its low price but adding a bunch of upgrades it doesn’t make sense. It only has a low base price but once you start adding additional upgrades it’s no longer cheap.
I get your point about the price vs what you getting, and i wish the EU prices was the same as in the US… as for the price difference here -
base 14” MBP cost 2250€ vs 1960€ for base M2 MBA with 16GB and 512GB, so 290€ less.

Lets brake down what you getting for the extra money:
- faster CPU - for average/daily usage most of the people wont feel the difference between M2 and base M1 Pro
- faster SDD - im guessing once you’ll get 512GB and up its plus minus the same speeds
- better screen - soon we’ll know how big of a difference it is between them
- multiple external monitors and extra connections - if you need these options you’ll skip the MBA

And if you need all these extras, from the beginning you would get the MBP.

Reactions: GCC and VaruLV

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022

The 512 GB / 16 GB M2 Air can be had for $1,599, if you opt for the 8-core GPU. That's a $400 savings. Even if it were only $300, that's still a lot of wine.

Or, if you're in my situation and need 1 TB of storage, you are looking at $1,799 vs. $2,199. Still real money.

I am not buying the M2 Air because it's "cheap." I'm buying it because it meets my needs - 16 GB RAM, 1 TB storage, ample power, thin and light - and happens to cost considerably less than the much heavier alternative.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
this cracks me up: am moving from a 2016 12" macbook to the new M2 air... and an M3 chip to a (lowly) M2... 🤯

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 8.54.38 AM.png

Redsfan

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Greater Toronto Area
Our 15 year old is working and saving money too buy the MBA. Considering this will get her through high school/university I don' want her over spending but don't want her to buy too much PC. My thoughts were 8gb/512, 16gb/256. She won't use anything overly heavy or taxing on memory, and worst case buy an external HD if she needs extra space....keeping budget in mind, suggestions? Could even still opt for the M1

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Our 15 year old is working and saving money too buy the MBA. Considering this will get her through high school/university I don' want her over spending but don't want her to buy too much PC. My thoughts were 8gb/512, 16gb/256. She won't use anything overly heavy or taxing on memory, and worst case buy an external HD if she needs extra space....keeping budget in mind, suggestions? Could even still opt for the M1
go for the 512; more storage space. will keep her mobile for a long time (no need to carry an external drive). so, 8/512 should be golden

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
big enough difference in the M1 vs M2? Lots not known yet?
it's true that we have no actual benchmarks yet. we will soon. still (for me anyway), the new design, screen, processor... seem worthwhile investments. but the M1 air is no slouch. so i would think that either will work, you just need to weigh the differences (in design, cost, etc).

Reactions: VaruLV and Redsfan

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I already have the following laptops, guess I am skipping out on this:
  • M1 Pro 14-inch MacBook Pro - base configuration
  • M1 MacBook Air - 16 GB RAM/256 GB SSD configuration
I am good for now. I may be back at the start of the next decade when my M1 Pro MBP may need to be replaced because of poor battery health. We shall see!

Reactions: VaruLV

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030

So with the plethora of configuration choices, what configuration MacBook Air M2 are you going to order?

I'm curious who is going for the standard configuration — either the $1,199 or $1,499 models with 8GB of RAM?

If you're configuring to order, who's getting 24GB of RAM with 256GB storage?

Who's maxing theirs out (10-core, 24GB RAM, 2 TB SSD) for $2,499?
midnight 8/512. i've lived 6 years on a basic 2016 12" macbook (8/256), and i still have 140 GB free (i do my heavy lifting on an imac). but i can surf, email, write, play spotify, do photo editing or update my website on the MB... and have never had any memory issues.

so, 8GB RAM on the silicon chip should be amazing....

So with the plethora of configuration choices, what configuration MacBook Air M2 are you going to order?

I'm curious who is going for the standard configuration — either the $1,199 or $1,499 models with 8GB of RAM?

If you're configuring to order, who's getting 24GB of RAM with 256GB storage?

Who's maxing theirs out (10-core, 24GB RAM, 2 TB SSD) for $2,499?

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010

I'd recommend she go with the base M1 MBA. Superb, lowest cost, and will get her through the next two or three years of high school. Her laptop needs will likely be quite different come sophomore or junior in college, especially when she picks a major — 4 to 5 years from now!

The savings could go to Apple Care, external SSD or HD, needed software, and so on (although check with her school first as they may well have a license for different programs).

She can, then, buy an amazingly new Mac if needed that fits the computing needs for her major. Her M1 could become her backup, even perhaps the one she schleps to class and the library…

Or, even thinking differently about this. What about an iPad 9 for now? Perhaps with a keyboard. It's an even cheaper solution and should get her through high school, unless there are special programs she needs.

Of greatest importance:

What does she think about all this? Getting her involved in the decision-making and trade-offs would be good financial and life experience — and, after all, she's working and buying it herself!

Reactions: 5105973 and Redsfan

Redsfan

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Greater Toronto Area
I'd recommend she go with the base M1 MBA. Superb, lowest cost, and will get her through the next two or three years of high school. Her laptop needs will likely be quite different come sophomore or junior in college, especially when she picks a major — 4 to 5 years from now!

The savings could go to Apple Care, external SSD or HD, needed software, and so on (although check with her school first as they may well have a license for different programs).

She can, then, buy an amazingly new Mac if needed that fits the computing needs for her major. Her M1 could become her backup, even perhaps the one she schleps to class and the library…

Or, even thinking differently about this. What about an iPad 9 for now? Perhaps with a keyboard. It's an even cheaper solution and should get her through high school, unless there are special programs she needs.

Of greatest importance:

What does she think about all this? Getting her involved in the decision-making and trade-offs would be good financial and life experience — and, after all, she's working and buying it herself!
You are bang on with your assessment as this is what I am leaning towards suggesting for her. I want her to make this important decision for now, and down the road. She won't be doing anything in school that my 20 year old is doing with an MBA and she is perfectly fine with it. She has an iPad for all the kids stuff, I don't want this to be her go to, she is using our old MBP 2013-Mid and it's fine, she can pass this down to our 13 year old. The GC promo can go for a case, don't think I would have her spend it on Apple Care...good advice

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The 512 GB / 16 GB M2 Air can be had for $1,599, if you opt for the 8-core GPU. That's a $400 savings.

I agree that the lower spec you get the Air the more sense it makes compared with the Pro if it’s about the budget.

I am not buying the M2 Air because it's "cheap." I'm buying it because it meets my needs - 16 GB RAM, 1 TB storage, ample power, thin and light - and happens to cost considerably less than the much heavier alternative.

I agree if your needs and wants are thin and light then that’s the best reason to buy the Air. I wouldn’t call $300 considerably less but of course that depends on your budget so perhaps it is. Everyone has different needs so that’s why they sell so many different configurations

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
The 512 GB / 16 GB M2 Air can be had for $1,599, if you opt for the 8-core GPU. That's a $400 savings. Even if it were only $300, that's still a lot of wine.

Or, if you're in my situation and need 1 TB of storage, you are looking at $1,799 vs. $2,199. Still real money.

You can get a 14” 16/1TB for same price here now so there goes that theory lol

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022
You can get a 14” 16/1TB for same price here now so there goes that theory lol
You can't here, so in my case, the theory stands. And frankly, even if they were the same price, I would basically be deciding between thin-and-light and ProMotion, the only 14" exclusive I find somewhat tempting. For me personally, thin-and-light would win.

Reactions: cygy2k and Wokis

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
You can't here, so in my case, the theory stands. And frankly, even if they were the same price, I would basically be deciding between thin-and-light and ProMotion, the only 14" exclusive I find somewhat tempting. For me personally, thin-and-light would win.
Also way Better brighter screen and
way better speakers

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Also way Better brighter screen and
way better speakers
Apple seemingly brought the speaker design from the new Pro’s into this new MBA, though probably with some concessions since space is tighter. We don’t really know yet how “way better” the 14” will remain being.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
As long as the M2 will cover my needs, and even if it cost the same as 14” MBP, i’ll prefer having thinner, lighter and better battery life over ProMotion, extra connections and bigger screen.

That been said, before ordering the new M2 MBA i would like to know how fast will be the memory and the SSD compared to the MBP.

ssj92

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2022
East Bay, CA
Wife has 2019 Intel base model Macbook Air

Looking at Starlight 16GB/256GB for her. She has 128GB now and it's still not full.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.