Which console has the coolest new motion concept?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spaceballl, Jun 2, 2009.

?

Which motion concept is the most promising?

1. Nintendo - Wii MotionPlus

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Microsoft - Project Natal

31 vote(s)
    47.0%
  3. Sony - Sony Motion Control

23 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Before voting, go check out some videos of all three in action! I watched the Sony / MS conferences live, and I was so annoyed when they started to talk about motion control, but BOTH implementations look really neat. So go watch the videos... then come back and vote!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo's looks the most usable, Microsoft looks like it could be the most prone to faults and interruption and I'm not interesed in dropping controls completely. Impressed with Sony's method even if it looked very silly, and the initial pitch (casting fireballs?) sounded lame. But the whip, oh my :cool:.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Nintendo's concept obviously works since it's due out soon.

Microsoft's is the most futuristic and probably has the most potential, but I'll have to see it in action to believe it.

Sony's is just a "me too" between the other two. It looked almost half-hearted.

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It looks almost too good to be true - I really want to see this thing in action! I liked the media portion of it, where it basically shows that girls' hand acting as a remote.

Seriously? Man the precision at which that guy was able to use the bow and arrow, or place the row of dominoes... I thought that was VERY impressive. Looks really fun to me.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I wasn't impressed. It required two of the colored wands and a PlayStation Eye to function. It was like they pulled it out of the basement or something. At this point, I think we've moved beyond wands.

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Fair enough - to each their own. But sign me up for one!

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The only one I see myself using is MotionPlus, since Nintendo seems to put a lot of push for it.(Red Steel 2 and Wii Sports Resort)

But give me some good Xbox 360 and PS3 games I'll use their solutions...i just questions how many games will use it(Eyetoy all over again)

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I wasn't impressed by any of them but Sony's motion control thingy looked to incorporate it with more than just casual crap which MS is going for....MS natal thing looked like it needs more ironing out.

I'll stick to Wii when I want my "waggle on" until MS/Sony show me something that I want.

Bless

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I suppose Sorny's. Imagine Zelda with the bow/sword fighting? Yum.

Still, it looks really stupid (appearance wise) and requires THREE doohickeys to do it's things. Argh. If they had shown before MS, I think I would have been more WOW'd, but still, cool stuff indeed. If they can get it to market BEFORE MS and get some actual games by non-Sony devs... it could be cool.

It's odd they would do this so late in the cycle. I mean, in 2 E3's from now, it's PS4/720 we are hearing about.

10. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm not sure... Of course anything could happen, but a lot of analysts are predicting this console lifespan to be much longer than the previous one was...

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I was kinda 'meh' w/natal until I talked w/people who know more about it's development. Then I was more impressed and kinda creeped out at the same time. After Natal scans a you it will be able to tell you apart from other people/objects in the room so even if someone walks between you and the sensor the 360 won't get confused about who is who (this is also how it will be able to tell different people apart in multiplayer games). What it can also do, and this gets into the slightly creepy part, is it can associate a person w/a specific profile so in a multiuser household the 360 can scan you and load the correct profile. Personally, I'm not looking forward to the day when my console will recognize me on sight and start up an idol conversation while I'm getting around in the morning. ;)

Lethal

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Exactly. Maybe that's why I wasn't impressed. I've been burned before with both EyeToy and PlayStation Eye. If the new multi-colored wand is as "successful" as either of those accessories, I'll pass.

13. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

The Microsoft Natal blew me away, I was amazed that something like that brick breaker game they showed was even possible.

The Nintendo Motion-Plus is nice, but it really does not do much except make the controller more accurate (which is still great)

The Sony approach to me seemed like something in between Microsoft and Nintendo, I liked the accuracy (Epic lightsaber duels anyone? :p)

But from all 3 the Microsoft Natal Project blew me the way the most.

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Natal looks sweet, but it also had some lag and didn't see too useful (no buttons!). Seemed like a gimmick. Motionplus is... ok. Sony's seems like wiimote + Microsofts camera based mocap. It also looked really accurate and responsive.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

NATAL. Here's why for me.

Sony's still looks like a Jessica Rabbit vibrator.
    Add the fact you have to have the camera as well as the penis extension in your hands, it's all too much periphery :D

Motion plus to me is simply an admittance the original wii remote concept was seriously flawed. I remain skeptical, especially after reading that RED STEEL 2 preview which uses motion control, and yet it's still meant to control identically to METROID 3 ? So what has Motion Plus added then ? Again it's yet another sodding peripheral too, which means your now holding 3 peripherals to play 1 game.

NATAL looks interesting because it takes everything out of your hands, and it's ONE peripheral not several.

It's also the one, which demoed showed the most promise in my eyes.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yawl realise everything in the Natal video that included the couch was all CG too? I guess thats what Sony and Nintendo were joking about when they talked about having it running live. I'm also concerned about how much power is needed just to run it, Motion Plus isn't going to use any additional power since it's all built into the controller and Sony's looks to be a in a similar position (except with adding the 3D models to the recorded camera image). I'm interested in how all this is going to unfold.

In terms of usability and applying it to games I think Nintendo (since it exists)>Sony>Microsoft.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The MILO Lionhead demonstration impressed me more than those jumpy around the living room videos.

As for motion plus. I just keep wanting to scream at nintendo... Just sod adding another peripheral. Release a god damn Motion Plus Wii Remote. Full stop.....

18. -SD- macrumors 6502

I was very impressed with the Natal demo, but that was mainly due to Milo and the fact that Steven Spielberg and Peter Molyneux had just made an appearance. And that was before the $199.99 price was announced.

As it stands, the PS Eye can currently offer much of the hands-free control that Natal showed. With the correct software it could do facial recognition and can already do voice recognition. So you could have the option of logging into PSN automatically and navigating the XMB totally hands-free, which is very cool.

When it comes to the actual games however, the PS3mote gives totally accurate 1:1 tracking, whereas Natal doesn't. The idea of not having any controller sounds cool, but I don't beleive it can work. People still need to have a connection to a physical object. Consider the following two examples:

1 - Baseball/Cricket game. So you have the option of holding nothing (which will feel odd) or something to represent the bat. If you're going to be holding something anyway, surely you may as well be holding something that's going to give 1:1 accuracy. As we saw from the Sony demo, they can overlay bats, guns, golf clubs, whatever on screen.

2 - FPS. You can move 360 degrees, crouch, jump and aim but how do you propose you move your character on the x and z axes? This isn't a Star Trek Holodeck we're talking about here. So you still need some sort of controller in your hand to move your on-screen character about, may as well use that controller as the gun and have true 1:1 accuracy.

Now there are some styles of game that you could do totally hands free, but the above examples show that some games still need a tangible controller option.

:apple:

19. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The thing I noticed with the Nintendo demo is that it didn't show much that they didn't show when they first demoed the Wii controller.

At the time it looked like you had complete freedom of movement, but then when you bought the game (e.g. Red Steel) you were actually limited to the game's controls, so no matter what you did physically, the character on screen would only do pre-programmed moves.

If it is actually complete freedom, and you're not just emulating pre-programmed slices and blocks, sign me up in a heartbeat.

The Microsoft one just blew me away. If it works as well as it seems to, I'm sold on that as well. Though what I couldn't get from one of the demos was the girl driving the car, sure she was steering, but how did it figure out if she was braking or accelerating?

20. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's supposed to be able to do full body motion. Maybe she was "air" braking with her foot kind of like I do when my I ride in the car with my teenage brother? :D

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This is why I think everyone is impressed with MS natal because they sugared it up whiles Sony/N showed the raw demo without the touch up.

In my opinion I would much rather have something in my hands whiles I play...something I can feel and connect to with the game so I'm content with a wand/wiimote.

Peter Melonux(sp) always gets the crowd hype but never delivers on his bloated promises so I expect nothing less from the creepy sim called milo.

Bless

22. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'd say Sony, cause it was the most accurate and lag-free.

Forget that it looked like a dildo, the technology is what matters here, of course the final product will look different.

That said, I will probably not purchase it. I simply don't like the whole wiggly waggly trend that Nintendo started.

23. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I wouldnt want to use any of them, but Natal is probably the least likely to work as a controller.

What I would be interested in though is having games use head tracking to make things appear 3d, and Natal is the only one with potential for doing that bug-free without wearing stupid headgear.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

IIRC, the people who played the Natal 'version' of Burnout Paradise at E3 said they slid their foot forward/back on the ground for gas/break and made a gear shifting type gesture to kick in the boost.

Lethal

25. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I don't understand how Natal can track depth... That's something I really don't get...