Which Devices Won't Make the Cut for iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Yebubbleman, Apr 30, 2014.

?

Which of these devices won't make the cut for iOS 8?

1. iPhone 4

272 vote(s)
    91.3%
  2. iPhone 4S

49 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. iPad 2

178 vote(s)
    59.7%
  4. Third Generation iPad

50 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. First Generation iPad mini

42 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. Fifth Generation iPod touch

31 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Speculation is half the fun of MacRumors, after all. So, with that in mind, I'd like to pose the following question:

Odds are pretty good that devices running the Apple A7 chip and shipping with iOS 7 (such as the iPhone 5S, the iPad Air, and the iPad mini with Retina Display) as well as the devices that shipped with either the A6 or A6X (such as the iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, and Fourth Generation iPad) are going to be able to run iOS 8. We can all safely agree on that, right?

That being said, the A5/A5X devices are not quite as clear. So, I pose the following. Which of the iOS devices not mentioned above that are currently able to run iOS 7 be unable to run iOS 8? For those playing the home game, this includes the following devices:

- iPhone 4
    - iPhone 4S
    - iPad 2
    - Third Generation iPad
    - First Generation iPad mini
    - Fifth Generation iPod touch

(In the above poll, vote for which devices WON'T make the cut.)

Personally, I'm thinking that the iPad 2 is out. The iPhone 4 is also a no-brainer. I'd say that the third generation iPad with its A5X and (more importantly) 1GB of RAM (whereas the others only have 512MB) is in, but this is its last major iOS release. The fifth Generation iPod touch and first generation iPad mini, I feel, could go either way. if I had to guess something, it'd be that the first generation iPad mini doesn't get support, but the fifth generation iPod touch does; either that or neither do. The iPhone 4S is a similarly tough call; but I think that Apple will let it in, simply because they have a history of letting in much older iPhones than they do contemporary iPads and iPod touches.

What say you?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iPhone 4 and iPad 2 likely won't make it.

The 4S and iPad 3rd gen will, and the 5th gen touch will. I suspect all three to not get several of the features presented in iOS 8.

The original iPad Mini will, but may lose out on a feature or two, especially if it includes the M7 or is dependent on A7+.

3. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

But why would the 1st gen mini get update but not the iPad 2?

I only see the iPhone 4 not getting iOS8

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Because historically, each device gets 3 iOS upgrades. Even though they're similar internally, they could hold back iOS 8 from the device as it is now a much older model.

5. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

My iPad 2 won't get iOS 8 :(:(:( but it's been over 3 years anyways (37 months) so I feel like I got my money's worth. It's time to upgrade this bad boy!

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically, based on how it's been done so far, whatever devices are still being sold (widely?) by Apple at the time that the new OS launches would be supported. As far as iPhones go it'll likely cut out iPhone 4, and as far as iPads go it'll likely cut out iPad 2 (as neither one of those is already being widely sold by Apple.

7. Solver macrumors 6502a

Apple typically supports updates for the devices they are still selling. When I go to the US Apple Store, the iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPhone 4 are not there.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPad 3 is an interesting one. Was it still on sale when iOS 7 was released? I think it wasn't at the time anymore, but it still got iOS 7 (which makes sense given that iPad 2 even got it, although it was on sale at the time). Not sure if they are treating iPad 3 like iPad 4 more or less given that it sort of replaced it. Perhaps similar to how iPhone 5 will be treated as it's not officially on sale any more, but 5C is pretty much its replacement, so whatever it gets the 5 should be able to get as well.

9. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

This is a tricky one because of how many products use the A5, The 4S will, they usually support iPhones for longer. The iPod will, because it is the newest model. I also believe the iPad Mini will because it has only had iOS 6 and 7, they wouldn't support it for shorter than the original iPhone. The iPad 2 is tricky because it is A5 like the others are, but it is older in comparison, if they didn't discontinue it I would have said yes for sure. iPad 3 will however get it.

I'm interested in if the 4S will get iOS 9, if it doesn't it will have shorter support than the 3GS and 4.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are the only ones not getting iOS 8. It's really more based off the time you buy it...

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

IPad 2 still in. They only just stopped selling it. And there are metric *tons of them at corporate and educational institutions. They'd have mud on their face if they dropped support so soon after schools were still buying them in mass.

Then 2 and 3 both get axed next year for iOS9.

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

It will definitely not get iOS 9.
    On the iPad 3rd gen iOS 7 is a big laggy mess. I don't think it will handle 8 very well.

----------

So what if schools buy them? At my school they still have iPad 2s running iOS 5. Schools don't need the latest software b

13. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

14. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Um, the iPad 2 will definitely not get iOS 8. It's a four year old device.

15. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

16. cynics macrumors G3

Which Devices Won't Make the Cut for iOS 8?

iPhone 4 got 4, 5, 6, 7

iPhone 4S 5, 6, 7, and probably 8.

It not getting 9 would be normal IMO.

Edit : unless you meant to type 8 instead of 9.

17. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think the iPad 2 will get iOS 8 because the virtually identical iPad mini will. I expect some features excluded.

It seems recently Apple has been giving older devices more upgrades but leaving off features, instead of quickly cutting off devices that can't meet all of the requirements. And this is for both iOS and OS X. I think it makes sense, so the old device can't handle the more taxing features, but why should it not get new apps or design improvements?

18. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

I think all iOS 7 devices will get iOS 8. All these devices have 512MB RAM, and I think iOS 8 will be faster and more optimized than iOS 7.

19. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully it's better optimized for the iPad because of the rushed development with iOS 7.

----------

The iPad 2 was just killed off, Apple won't support a device it no longer sells by the time of the announcement.

20. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

iOS 4 was out from June 2010 to October 2011, this is over a year. If they don't give the 4S iOS 9 it will be shorter than the 4 and 3GS in total supported time. Since the 3GS surprised everyone with iOS 6 I think it is possible the 4S will do the same with 9, plus it supports most of iOS 7's features.

21. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Keep in mind that the original iPad mini, with only a few exceptions pertinent to hardware differences that likely have nothing to do with whether or not it'll support a newer OS, is very close in spec to the iPad 2, as is the iPhone 4S, as is the fifth generation iPod touch. Of the devices listed, only the iPhone 4 (for having an A4 still) and the third generation iPad (for having double the RAM and beefier graphics in the A5X) are starkly different when it comes to the components that will likely determine what makes the cut here.

That said, they will all likely lose out on a feature or two at least given the A5's age comparable to the A6 and A7.

The iPad 2 didn't get Siri where the first gen mini did. I'm not sure on why that was; might've been the microphones and audio processors used. Again, underlying things like that could be the make or break simply so Apple doesn't have to fork the experience as much.

I guess where this debate gets interesting is that with the A4, you had the original iPad, which didn't make it to iOS 6 due to the resources being limited for the larger screen, the fourth generation iPod touch, which didn't make it to iOS 7 because it didn't have 512MB of RAM, and likely the iPhone 4 which may not make it to iOS 8 due to any number of potential underlying causes.

With the A5, you have four different devices that have each been out on the market for varying lengths of time and, between them, have varying software and hardware features that set them apart from each other. So, it's a little bit less clear as to which criteria will cause some to make it and others not to.

This has not been consistently true. The first generation iPad got two upgrades. The iPad 2 is on its third. The fourth generation iPod touch got two upgrades, as did the third, second, and first. The original iPhone got two upgrades, the 3G got two upgrades (though that last one was hell), the 3GS got three, and it's looking like the 4 will have had three as well. It's not totally consistent.

Trust me, iPad 2's got way better longevity than the first generation iPad did. And realistically, you'll get better than the third generation as well; though hopefully Apple is good about the fourth gen and the Air.

This is sound. Apple did do the same thing with the fourth generation iPod touch in early last year while leaving them out of the iOS 7 party. Still though, they could pull first generation iPad mini and drop pricing on the retina generation in a week or two, with no warning (just like what was done with the 16GB Fifth Generation iPod touch model and the 128GB Fourth Generation iPad models last year) and boom, there'd go the first generation iPad mini's safety here.

They have also historically updated devices that they are not selling. Hence giving the third generation iPad the iOS 7 update. Hence giving the first generation iPod touch and iPhone iOS 3 support. It happens.

The third generation iPad wasn't on sale when iOS 7 came out. The processor is much closer to the iPhone 4S, fifth generation iPod touch, iPad 2, and first generation iPad mini than it is to the fourth generation iPad or the iPhone 5/5C, given that the A5X is really just the A5 with double the RAM and more powerful graphics. That being said, RAM was the dealbreaker here for the fourth generation iPod touch, so there you go. Apple does, at times double the RAM requirement from OS to OS.

Yeah, I figured this'd make for some fun conjecture. Of course no one knows until June 2nd anyway. :)

Probably a safe bet, sure.

Yes, but if they level the iPods and kill the iPod touch, especially in light of the iPhone being on all four major US providers, then all the time in the world can pass and the fifth generation iPod touch will still be the newest one available.

22. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

I think only the 4 won't make it and the iPad 2,3 and the iPod 4

23. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I hope the iPhone 5 is still supported and not too stripped down. But I suppose if they still support the 5c and iPad 4th gen then the 5 should be ok.

24. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The fourth generation iPod touch already can't do iOS 7, so yeah, that's definitely out. Or were you referring to something else by "iPod 4"?

Otherwise, you think the third generation iPad won't make it, but the first generation iPad mini will?

I'm not sure if there were as many differences between the A6 and the A6X as there were between the A5 and the A5X or if there were more. Otherwise, I'd say that it's probably a safe bet that you won't have as many features carried over as an iPad Air, second generation/retina iPad mini, or an iPhone 5S would, but my guess is that you'll still have a lot of 'em.

25. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

A5 and A5X, A6 and A6X are both same CPU but with quad core GPU. So A5 and A5X share same CPU and A6 and A6X share same CPU... Apple probably made the clock speed faster, A5 on iPod Touch and iPhone 4S he's 800MHz, iPad uses 1GHz.

As iPad 4 to iPad Air, only major difference is the CPU and upgraded wifi to WiFi with MIMO...I do not think there gonna be major feature absent on iPad 4...

The Third generation probably will get iOS 8...but lots would have features missing. I think the cut off line would be iPad 3 and iPad mini first generation. It is safe to say iPod Touch will get iOS 8 as well. If Apple really decide to annx the iPod line up... Then iOS 9 would probably stick on iPod Touch 5 forever.