Which is better, Avengers in 2-D, 3-D, or 3-D IMAX?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Yr Blues, May 6, 2012.

?

1. 2-D

54.8%
  2. 3-D

3.2%
  3. 3-D IMAX

41.9%
  1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Disclaimer, generally I don't care for 3D even if it was no extra cost. Avatar seems to be the exception to my 3D dislike. :)

3. cube macrumors G5

There are many "3D" movies which were not shot in 3D.

4. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Animated movies tend to be spectacular in 3-D. Avatar was essentially an animated movie, for the most part. It was also, specifically created to be shown in 3-D.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I like plain 3D in shorter movies but in longer movies it sometimes hurts my eyes, so i prefer 2D for longer ones e.g. Avengers.

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I wish I had seen it in 2-D. A few of the 3-D shots, especially toward the end, looked a bit cartoonish to me. Besides, I was starting to get a headache after 2 hours...

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I wish they would give up on the 3-D gimmick and just focus on making the plot better.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is because Avatar was designed and filmed with 3D in mind. Most other movies 3d is a complete after thought and an add in so things do not work out as well.

9. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I personally preferred it in 2D. 3D was done well, but at times I felt that some shots were more focused on getting the 3D affect across rather then overall clarity.

As for IMAX, it depends. The only one I've got to compare it to is the BFI IMAX in Waterloo...which apparently couldn't be used for the Avengers :-/

Usually IMAX is fantastic though, and based on my experience watching Iron Man 2 there, I'm sure it would have been the best option...though in 2D.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't see the IMAX version, but I saw the regular 3D one. It was probably the most shallow feeling of 3D films I've seen.

Most annoyingly they're not showing it at my IMAX.

3D IMAX is incredible though. Tron Legacy was just mind blowing.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I just caught a "regular" 3D show and didn't think the 3D was particularly obvious, which is good. I hate "gimmicky" 3D.

So anyhow, I don't think you'd miss much in 2D.

IMAX 3D could have been fun.

B

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Seen it twice now in 3D. I usually hate 3D but in this it was subtle and I didn't mind it. It's seriously up to you though. If you hate 3d, avoid it. If you don't, go to 3D or IMAX depending on what you're willing to spend. It's like asking what the best colour is, there's no right answer.

13. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i actually don't think it makes a difference which version you watch, the movie will be good (and is good) no matter how you see it.

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Having seen it in 3D (because the only 2D showing required a couple of hours wait) I'd say 2D.

3D really is just a gimmick with a price premium attached.

15. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Anything at an IMAX theater is amazing! The picture is large and the sound is better than the usual theaters.

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I saw it in IMAX 3D last night and thought it was pretty awesome. I usually don't go for 3D movies because I don't think it's worth the extra cost, but we had free tickets for the Avengers so we obviously didn't pass up the opportunity. Like many have said, I thought the 3D was subtle and not "in your face" which was cool. For the most part I forgot I was watching a 3D movie, but there were a few scenes where something really neat would happen and it would remind you about the 3D aspect of everything.

17. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I watched it in 3D Imax and 2D. As another poster stated, the 3D is subtle, which is good, but I definitely enjoyed the 3D MUCH better than the 2D. I thought it would be no big deal seeing the 2D after the 3D...I was wrong. The 2D just seemed to be missing something.

If I see it again, I will more than likely see it in 3D Imax again.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

only watched in 2D, it was pretty great i have to say.

well, except I think they destroyed my home. :mad::(:D

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

3D is almost always better than 2D. It must be done right, though.

IMAX is almost always better than stadard screen. It must be viewed on a real IMAX screen with proper seating and the majority of the film must be shot in the IMAX format.

20. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I watched the one in 3D, and for over half the movie, it wasnt even 3D.

Dont know about IMAX though.

21. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I agree. Besides, 3D doesn't work on me right. I wear glasses that already flatten my perspective, now adding a forced perceptive on top of that only puts a strain on my eyes, which I can't keep up for two hours straight.

22. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I went for the 3D IMAX, I could really care less about the 3D though. If the option for 2D IMAX existed, I would have gone to that instead. The 3D in this one didn't give me a headache, neither did the 3D in Avatar, but every other 3D movie I've seen has given me one.

23. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Agreed. While I haven't seen this move yet (though I want to!), I think it's ridiculous that they're making almost every single adventure/action/kids' movie 3D these days... I think that it's overrated, and doesn't add anything other than to the cost of the ticket.

24. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I've only seen one movie in 3D and that was enough for me. I'll never do that again.