Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is worse blunder: Lightning or Maps?

• Lightning

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Maps

Votes: 69 30.3%
  • No blunder, everything fine, nothing to see, move along....

Votes: 142 62.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Innovation has growing pains some times. It happens. It'll get better. Remember when iPods used firewire. Things change. They get improved, updated, fixed, and we move on. Soon enough we'll all say what do you mean your cable isn't double sided?

I don't need anybody questioning my use of the word innovation either. Wether it was a new idea, or a changed idea, it changed the old "standard". It is what it is. Call it what you want. If you hate the new that much then the old is still out there.

DiddlyDo

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Texas
I really like my iphone 5, but I'm starting to wonder if it's made with some type of illicit compound that addicts the users. As of this posting, 70% of the poll takers say there was no "blunder." Even though Apple admitted that it screwed up maps? And the lack of ightning adapters has certainly been annoying for a lot of folks. It certainly annoyed me. Not enough to go back to my iphone 4, but it is annoying nonetheless.

I guess Apple could make the next iphone out of polished rabbit turds, and they'd still have people lining up to tell everyone who was annoyed why the phone was good for the environment, the crap smeared on users' hands and faces was good for their skin, and that true innovation is going back to the basics or some other similarly ridiculous tripe.

As a user of various apple products, I often find the "sheep" characterization of apple/iphone users annoying. I know other phones have features that aren't available on the iphone, but I've integrated these products into my daily life, and I like what they can do. On the other hand, I have to admit that when I see things like this poll, I can certainly understand why it's so easy to make fun of us apple fans.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Apple had the perfect opportunity to switch to the micro usb standard that every other phone manufacturer uses. That way they would integrate with the whole world, allowing users to charge with any charger, use any speaker dock in the future etc regardless of phone model. But no, of course they develop some new proprietary cable and charge extra for the adapter to tie users in even more and to make more money. Of course all companies are in it for the profit but if apple were completely confident in their products then they wouldn’t have to tie people in with proprietary nonsense to stop people leaving. I’m just glad I kept my email/contacts/calendar etc with google rather than iCloud so I can switch to any phone/tablet/computer I like at any time and still access my data

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
The 30 pin connector needed replacement.. it was very much outdated. In 1-2 years time.. lightning connector's will be everywhere on accessories. It isn't going away. All future iPods/iPhones/iPad's will have it.

Yup, I do think Maps was a blunder though, as well as this thread.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Lightning cable and the connector is one of the best feature on the iphone 5 I love it!
I love the maps app it works very well the problem is the data they are using along with the maps app... As soon as the data gets better maps will get better with time...

mplenhart

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
For those crying about Apple Maps - did any of you try Navigon or TomTom when they were first released on the iPhone? Talk about a couple of disasters.

Apple Maps may not currently be as good or powerful as those two are right now, but it took them 4 years to get where they are. Apple's first try is leaps and bounds ahead of where Navigon and TomTom started.

How about a little perspective?

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I can charge my iphone 5 using any microUSB cable or charger I have, no "smart" cable needed.

Ah - I assumed the iPhone 5 only had the lightning port. Does it have a MicroUSB port too? If not, how can it be charged using a microUSB cable?

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I can't see anyone's problem with lightning. The only arguable "blunder" relating to it would be apple's lack of contact with accessory makers so far.

I voted for maps, but only as they've missed out the middle section of my road (not surprising as TomTom sat nave don't recognise my road) which is a bit of a pain, but honestly I've found very few other issues with the app and once it has matured I think it will be much better than google maps.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
For those crying about Apple Maps - did any of you try Navigon or TomTom when they were first released on the iPhone? Talk about a couple of disasters.

Apple Maps may not currently be as good or powerful as those two are right now, but it took them 4 years to get where they are. Apple's first try is leaps and bounds ahead of where Navigon and TomTom started.

How about a little perspective?
that of course would be fine if apple maps was simply an app that the user could pick or choose whether to install or not - like Navigon or TomTom. But its not, its the main 'feature' of iOS6 that is integrated into the OS and has replaced something that was already very good. Whilst you can pick different apps and ignore apple maps, don't forget that the way iOS works, you can't set a different map app as default so email links or locations from messages etc will always open in apple maps so you can't get away from it. If it was an app fine, as it is with it being the main upgrade in the OS, its just not good enough

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Lightening was not a mistake. And, for what it is worth, the 30-pin connector was revised during its lifetime (e.g., see link), disabling some peripheral accessories. Thus, its not as though Apple has never changed the connector on its mobile devices.

Maps, on the other hand, needs a lot of work. Where I am it's mostly OK, but there are many POI's that are simply misplaced and it does not seem like Apple and their partners are being quick to correct the errors. Moreover, Maps is a disaster graphically - there is simply not enough visual contrast between the background and the roads (Seriously, what moron though the background should be a light tan while the road should be white with a 1-pixel black edge?).

Also, the OP forgot to add the failure to fully internationalize Siri. I love Apple products on the whole, but they need to raise their game in order to live up to their reputation.

Last edited:

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
Actually I don't understand the problem with the Lightning connector. It's just the same as previous, but smaller and designed for today's use. But besides its size it's basically the same for the end user. Yeah, I know the need of buying adapters.

Regarding to maps, I think the main problem is the search for points of interests, which doesn't work at all in my country. However, the satelite view is far more updated than Google's, and the traffic information is much better and accurate.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Not even going to get drawn into your stupid "debate".

There is nothing wrong with lightning, it's a good improvement over the outdated 30 pin, and your assumption above is just plain wrong.

I can charge my iphone 5 using any microUSB cable or charger I have, no "smart" cable needed.

You just did get involved (TWICE).

As for the "MicroUSB", the adapter dongle has the same chips as the USB cable.
AND you have effectively a $2 MicroUSB cable. How much did that adapter cost? $30?? (which is only sold in Europe, not USA)

----------

Actually I don't understand the problem with the Lightning connector. It's just the same as previous, but smaller and designed for today's use. But besides its size it's basically the same for the end user. Yeah, I know the need of buying adapters.

If you read the post, I said:
1. Quality Control, a notable amount of posts stated bad cables.
2. Lack of accessories on launch, even some of Apples started shipping late.

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Lightening was not a mistake. And, for what it is worth, the 30-pin connector was revised during its lifetime (e.g., see link), disabling some peripheral accessories. Thus, its not as though Apple has never changed the connector on its mobile devices.

If you read the post, I listed:
1. Quality Control, a notable amount of posts stated bad cables.
2. Lack of accessories on launch, even some of Apples started shipping late.

In the long run it is good move, but the introduction was bungled.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I'm sorry, but how exactly is the Lightening Cable a 'blunder'?

I for one am glad that they got rid of that clunky 30-pin connector. And I am really glad they didn’t go with Micro-USB. A small reversible connector with a satisfying and more secure click/connection that will allow for smaller and thinner future devices are all pluses in my book.

If you do have an expensive 30-pin dock, couldn’t you convert your iPhone 4s (or previous) into an iPod until you’re ready to upgrade to a newer dock?

At launch I picked up 7 lightening cables at my local Apple Store, replaced all the cables in my apartment, car and office, gave away all my 30-pin connectors to friends, family and co-workers and called it a day.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I don't think an accessory that is difficult for third parties to replicate and has limited compatibility should be considered a blunder...those things tend to happen with new technology. If it didn't work at all and ran half the speed of the 30 pins, then maybe, but I've experienced no problems with the cable or any of the accessories with which I use it.

The blunder is not providing accessory makers the licensing process to make products.

Right now Lighting is functionally just a glorified, small, expensive, unreliable USB 2 cable. Until more cable types come out, it is not much better then a Micro USB cable.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I will agree that Apple should have broke their code of silence and bit early this time to give 3rd party accessory makers a decent amount of time to produce Lightening Cable equipped accessories.

A new connector didn't have to be part of the 'reveal' or 'magic' so yeah, I get it. Same thing with cases.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
the lightening issue is undefined. That is why you see iphone 4 y users (rationally) saying it is better --of course it is relative to the iphone 4 connector.

But the absence of a micro usb, which is and will remain the defacto standard for charging, and which could have been added for the added volume and weight of 1/4 of a dime, probably $5, out of $650, is a negative tick for a lot of buyers.

Apple literally has made and abandoned so many proprietary connectors that it has trumpeted a new "standards" that it isn't funny. The most ingornat thing you could claim is that this will be a standard, when long time apple owners know already that won't. It is just a post sale profit generator.

Considering how 90% of phones are and will be micro usb, people saying this isnt a serious inconveniences or serious cost are crazy

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
the lightening issue is undefined. That is why you see iphone 4 y users (rationally) saying it is better --of course it is relative to the iphone 4 connector.

But the absence of a micro usb, which is and will remain the defacto standard for charging, and which could have been added for the added volume and weight of 1/4 of a dime, probably $5, out of $650, is a negative tick for a lot of buyers.

Apple literally has made and abandoned so many proprietary connectors that it has trumpeted a new "standards" that it isn't funny. The most ingornat thing you could claim is that this will be a standard, when long time apple owners know already that won't. It is just a post sale profit generator.

Considering how 90% of phones are and will be micro usb, people saying this isnt a serious inconveniences or serious cost are crazy

Here's an idea, go buy one of those phones.

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
As an iPhone 5 owner, I will say that the lightning is bad. I know it's great that its smaller and reversible, but long term, it will end up like the 30 pin connector it replaced, or the FireWire (or lack thereof). Apple started with FireWire on their iPods, eventually went with USB; it's very apparent with the MacBook lines. Same with CPU, eventually going with Intel. Apple is just trying to hold on to something, much like their single mouse button design, even though they try to make it a 2-in-1.

I think apple is just trying to expand their power by being more than just a software maker and make mobile devices. But with their reputation, people are wary of using apples proprietary stuff and then being cut off suddenly or get sued. And this won't be the last time they'll do it. Anyone can make use of a USB connector when manufacturing a device, but Apple will most likely sue if someone tries to do that with their connector. They even went as far as create a restrictive licensing BS for the new connector.

Last edited:

mplenhart

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I think apple is just trying to expand their power by being more than just a software maker and make mobile devices.

More than just a software maker? Apple designs hardware, first and foremost. The lightning cable is just a natural progression - they needed something smaller so that they could make their devices smaller. The 30-pin has been around forever - did people think it would just remain until Apple was no longer around?

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Ha, these stats are killer.. I rarely use maps and when I do, it's fine for me.

I welcome the lightning, also.. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.