Which Keyboard Do You Want In the New MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Aug 4, 2008.

?

What kind of keyboard do you want in the new MacBook Pro

1. The same keyboard that's used in the current MBP

63.0%
  2. The chiclet keyboard used in the MacBook and the MacBook Air

37.0%
  1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Which kind of keyboard do you want in the new MacBook Pro? The metal one that Apple uses now, or the chiclet keyboard that Apple uses in the MacBook and the MacBook Air? The keyboard in the MBP now is probably one of the best on any laptop, and I hate the chiclet keyboard. I really hope that they keep the current design.

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Me too! One vote for current kbd. I like current keyboard in my MBP and I don't want other.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

For what it's worth i voted for the current keyboard, but whatever will be will be

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I like the "Pro" keyboard, I hope we don't get downgraded to the "chiclet" keyboard... :eek: ;)

5. styxfan macrumors member

I've not used the Macbook keyboard, but I do have the new Apple thin keyboard. I like them about the same as far as typing goes. I like the looks of the current keyboards though. They blend right into the computer.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The current keyboard is great! It's got a soft but distinct key press that is quiet, not like some of the Dell ones.

I tried my friend's MacBook and don't like the keyboard at all. It feels mushy and clicky to me, possibly the worse keyboard I've used.

7. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

The "mushiness" of the MBA keyboard irked me too. I could probably get used to it, but it just doesn't strike me as word-processing friendly.

8. adversecamber macrumors regular

NOT the keyboard that's on the MacBook - horrid horrid horrid.

But, I would like the backlight on the new KB to only light the letters and not leak all around the keys. Is that possible?

9. NotChemist macrumors newbie

I like the current MBP keyboard, but my opinion may not matter as much because I haven't had much experience with the chiclet keyboard.

10. NSNick macrumors regular

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Personally I hope that they go with the chiclet keyboard, because it is what I'm used to (aluminum keyboard), and also because it is easier to clean then the current MBP keyboard. Maybe they could offer both (won't happen I know).

Don

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hope they keep the current keyboard; need something to differential between the 'Pro' keyboard and the crappy regular chiclet keyboard.

13. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

14. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

I like the current keyboard, but with a few revisions, the chiclet keyboard would be fine with me.

I would like to see the chiclet keyboard made out of aluminum, and as has been said before, I would like the backlight to only light the letters, and not leach out from the sides, as all apple backlit keyboards do.

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Definition of chiclet keyboard

16. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Ha! I guess I'm weird because I always thought that was a cool ambiance effect! :eek:
    But, I see what your saying, it would be more "Pro" if it didn't bleed I suppose... :)

Thanks for that link, a very interesting read! It was pretty negative though, I guess that's why I prefer the "Pro" keyboard... ;) :)

17. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Current. Chiclet keyboards suck. Interesting that it's splite about 3:2, yet no one favoring chiclet keyboards seems to be talking. Odd.

18. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I happen to like the Chicklet keyboard a lot. If the MBP keyboard is anything like the Powerbook keyboard, which is similar to the usual style of laptop keyboards, I hate it. I had a hard time typing on the Powerbook, as I do with most laptops. For whatever reason, it's just not the same. Either way, the Macbook has the keyboard that I've found most enjoyable to use out of any laptop keyboard, so, I voted for that. In terms of looks, though, I think the keys look a lot better as they are now on the current MacBook Pro. No telling what the new one may look like, though.

19. dadoc04 macrumors member

i like the feel of the current keyboard. i think they should keep it

20. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Hmmm...So, you've never used a MBP yet you inject "hate" into a thread about it? Why? :confused:

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If he's referring to the current computers then WTF

If he's referring to future computers, then…

22. adversecamber macrumors regular

I was intrigued by this odd way off describing a keyboard and so looked here, seems that the Macbook keyboard is not a 'chiclet' keyboard.

23. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Interesting that the poll is almost polling evenly on both sides now. Are MB and/or MBA owners skewing the poll (perhaps because they are used to that style of keyboard by now)?

24. McToma macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs claimed the Macbook Air had the "best keyboard we've put in a notebook" or something like that, so I assume that means it is a different keyboard than the macbook. I have no experience with the air's keyboard but the macbook keyboard is atrocious. Perhaps the air presents a more compelling case for the chiclet keyboard.

25. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have no experience with the MBAir keyboard but have always enjoyed my MBP keyboard which I got 2 years ago

If this keyboard is found in the next MBP, I will be perfectly fine with that