• Doesn't matter, I upgrade every year!

Votes: 43 28.1%

• Total voters

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
So, which upgrade cycle are you on? The new iPhone cycle or the S cycle.

Say what one you are on, if your happy your on that cycle and why you are happy/unhappy with that cycle.

I am on the new iPhone cycle, I got my 5 on launch day and will do the same with the 6 (subject to availability). I'm happy with that cycle because I will be getting a brand new phone with surprises, not a year old design that I can predict.

Last edited:

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I'm currently on the new phone cycle and am fine with it. I started on the S cycle and it was OK as well. Both have their good and bad points.

TheAppleFairy

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I went from the 3G to the 4 to the 4S and stopped there. My wife and I are both on the 4S, might go for the 6, but will likely get the 6S unless our phones die before then. Hoping they don't make the screen too big.

As for what cycle, there is no cycle.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The wife and I are on the iPhone 5 cycle, though, I just jumped ship onto the EDGE program so I suppose its a moot point for me.

My wife is happy with the every other year upgrade program with the subsidized phone

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I started with the 3Gs, upgraded to the 4s when it was released and bought a 5s a few months after it was released.

I prefer the "S" variants because they typically have the kinks worked out of the previous release. I'm not too concerned about having the newest looking phone.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I went from the 4 to 4S to the 5. From the 5 I tried out a couple of Android phones ( HTC One and then the Nexus 5 ).
Both those Android phones were good but I missed the iPhone so I sold my Nexus and got the 5S.
Since my iPhone 5S is new I guess my next will be a 6S.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm on the 'S' cycle and am happy with it. I only upgrade when my AT&T subsidy is ready.

Here is how I went: Original iPhone --> 3GS --> 4S --> 5s

Voch

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
On the "S" cycle. Happy with it except for being at the tail end of it this year...I was supposed to be upgrade-eligibile in January but Verizon changed the 20-month upgrade cycle to 24 months. I'll not be waiting to upgrade my current 4S for the "6" but will grab a 5S soon.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I'm on the every year cycle.

My wife doesn't care about having the latest and greatest so every year I get the new phone and she uses the hand me down. So this year she we will go from 5 to 5s while I get the 6.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
S.

I find "S" devices to be built much better. My 4S was flawless while I've seen numerous cases of broken lock switches on the 4. Even the antenna-gate problem, if it ever was a problem. My 5S doesn't have the horrible wearing away of the finish that the iPhone 5 had. I've also seen too many people with broken iPhone 5 home buttons. I'm sure if I got a non S phone I would be fine, but I don't have a problem with being stuck to the same design. I care more for the internals and software. And ultimately, an XS version will be better than just the X version. You can't have the latest and greatest unless you upgrade each year.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I purchased my first iPhone four months ago which is the 5s and I paid full retail price to maintain my grandfathered unlimited data. I will not be upgrading to the 6. Perhaps I will when the 6s comes out.

Bacong

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
technically I'm on the 3G/4/5 cycle but I have a 5s and will be upgrading when the 6 comes out, and I'll upgrade when the 6s comes out.

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
3G to 4 and now waiting for 6.
Upgrading every year seems crazy to me and those who do that could clarify to me why they need the latest. What tech were they missing on 5 that they had to buy 5S. I think skipping one version is the best approach. I lost job on my turn to upgrade so I waited and then decided that I can wait little longer so yeah, now I'm waiting for 6 :)))

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I always want the latest so I upgrade every year.

----------

Upgrading every year seems crazy to me and those who do that could clarify to me why they need the latest. What tech were they missing on 5 that they had to buy 5S. I think skipping one version is the best approach. I lost job on my turn to upgrade so I waited and then decided that I can wait little longer so yeah, now I'm waiting for 6 :)))
It's really not as crazy as you think if you sell your old phone every year.

The newest iPhone is always better so I have no problem upgrading yearly to access the latest tech.

Freida

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2010
I always want the latest so I upgrade every year.

----------

It's really not as crazy as you think if you sell your old phone every year.

The newest iPhone is always better so I have no problem upgrading yearly to access the latest tech.
better of course but do you NEED it or do you LUST it? :))))
I love the 5S features especially the camera improvements but being stuck on 4 for such a long time made me realise that I often want things instead of needing them and I changed my approach a bit now that I will try to upgrade once I actually need the upgrade. :))
I think if we all did that then there would be less waste and we would have way more money in our pockets :D :D :D