Which Launch Cycle are you on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by L T, Apr 7, 2014.

?

Which cycle are you on?

1. New iPhone

65 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. S

45 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Doesn't matter, I upgrade every year!

43 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. L T, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

L T macrumors 6502

L T

So, which upgrade cycle are you on? The new iPhone cycle or the S cycle.

Say what one you are on, if your happy your on that cycle and why you are happy/unhappy with that cycle.

I am on the new iPhone cycle, I got my 5 on launch day and will do the same with the 6 (subject to availability). I'm happy with that cycle because I will be getting a brand new phone with surprises, not a year old design that I can predict.

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm currently on the new phone cycle and am fine with it. I started on the S cycle and it was OK as well. Both have their good and bad points.

3. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I went from the 3G to the 4 to the 4S and stopped there. My wife and I are both on the 4S, might go for the 6, but will likely get the 6S unless our phones die before then. Hoping they don't make the screen too big.

As for what cycle, there is no cycle.

5. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

I went from 2G to 3G to 3GS to 4 to 5 and now 5s

I've had every iphone except the 4S and obviously 5c

6. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'm on a "Sell my old put a few with it and get the new one" cycle. Heh.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The wife and I are on the iPhone 5 cycle, though, I just jumped ship onto the EDGE program so I suppose its a moot point for me.

My wife is happy with the every other year upgrade program with the subsidized phone

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I started with the 3Gs, upgraded to the 4s when it was released and bought a 5s a few months after it was released.

I prefer the "S" variants because they typically have the kinks worked out of the previous release. I'm not too concerned about having the newest looking phone.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

11. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I went from the 4 to 4S to the 5. From the 5 I tried out a couple of Android phones ( HTC One and then the Nexus 5 ).
    Both those Android phones were good but I missed the iPhone so I sold my Nexus and got the 5S.
    Since my iPhone 5S is new I guess my next will be a 6S.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm on the 'S' cycle and am happy with it. I only upgrade when my AT&T subsidy is ready.

Here is how I went: Original iPhone --> 3GS --> 4S --> 5s

13. Voch macrumors member

On the "S" cycle. Happy with it except for being at the tail end of it this year...I was supposed to be upgrade-eligibile in January but Verizon changed the 20-month upgrade cycle to 24 months. I'll not be waiting to upgrade my current 4S for the "6" but will grab a 5S soon.

14. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I'm on the every year cycle.

My wife doesn't care about having the latest and greatest so every year I get the new phone and she uses the hand me down. So this year she we will go from 5 to 5s while I get the 6.

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm on the, I'm not upgrading until it breaks cycle. :eek:

I went from iPhone 2G to iPhone 4 to iPhone 5S (excluding the three other phones I had in the last two years).

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

S.

I find "S" devices to be built much better. My 4S was flawless while I've seen numerous cases of broken lock switches on the 4. Even the antenna-gate problem, if it ever was a problem. My 5S doesn't have the horrible wearing away of the finish that the iPhone 5 had. I've also seen too many people with broken iPhone 5 home buttons. I'm sure if I got a non S phone I would be fine, but I don't have a problem with being stuck to the same design. I care more for the internals and software. And ultimately, an XS version will be better than just the X version. You can't have the latest and greatest unless you upgrade each year.

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3G, 4, 5.

My next upgrade is in 12 months time.

18. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

I purchased my first iPhone four months ago which is the 5s and I paid full retail price to maintain my grandfathered unlimited data. I will not be upgrading to the 6. Perhaps I will when the 6s comes out.

19. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

technically I'm on the 3G/4/5 cycle but I have a 5s and will be upgrading when the 6 comes out, and I'll upgrade when the 6s comes out.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

22. Freida macrumors 65816

3G to 4 and now waiting for 6.
    Upgrading every year seems crazy to me and those who do that could clarify to me why they need the latest. What tech were they missing on 5 that they had to buy 5S. I think skipping one version is the best approach. I lost job on my turn to upgrade so I waited and then decided that I can wait little longer so yeah, now I'm waiting for 6 :)))

23. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I always want the latest so I upgrade every year.

----------

It's really not as crazy as you think if you sell your old phone every year.

The newest iPhone is always better so I have no problem upgrading yearly to access the latest tech.

24. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

25. Freida macrumors 65816

better of course but do you NEED it or do you LUST it? :))))
    I love the 5S features especially the camera improvements but being stuck on 4 for such a long time made me realise that I often want things instead of needing them and I changed my approach a bit now that I will try to upgrade once I actually need the upgrade. :))
    I think if we all did that then there would be less waste and we would have way more money in our pockets :D :D :D