Which MacBook Pro do I get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anthony_jardine, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Anthony_jardine macrumors newbie

Anthony_jardine

so im getting a MacBook for music production solely, I'll be running logic, abletom and obviously pro tools. I'll be getting the quad i7 variant with 16gb of ram. With the MacBook that will be announced next Thursday it's haevily rumoured there will be no headphone jack, which wouldn't be a problem as a USB interface would sort that, but oh wait there are also apparently gonna be no standard USB ports either... should I get a 2015 or 2016 MacBook? How much better performance can I expect from the upcoming ones? How long would a 2015 MacBook last me?

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

Why not wait until next week to see what is announced. Only 8 days away.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Honestly, it's difficult to answer your questions with any great certainty. You're right in saying that a MacBook Pro update is on the horizon. However Apple have been extremely secretive with this. The only leak we've seen was from months back, showing the casing for the new MBP.

We haven't got any leaked benchmarks. We haven't got any definitive news or proof of the CPUs. We don't know the GPUs. We don't know the storage. We don't know the display resolution. We don't even know how the new Function keys would work, though there have been some darn good mockups of it.

All I can suggest is wait and see what's released. Then we'll be better placed to answer. :)

4. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Wait for announcement.

Headphone jack....rumor.

USB-C killing USB....rumor. IMO market not even there to lead the pack here yet. there'd be no pack to lead. I do videography, USB alive and well here. I use external recording to bypass dslr limitations (HQ shooting time limit like 20 min max, more options codec wise). About apple's only success here in leading the pack is apple pro res for a codec. to its credit, pro res is a highly used codec and vies with other industry standards for presence.

Same with external audio recorders. many offer usb transfer or memory card pull and transfer. When most have a usb based memory reader, its just one more card to put in it lol.

So is performance. Only rumors I know of hear is OLED (which only replace plain ole function keys with touch style stuff so ooh ahh...you change how you press f1...you are still pressing f1 though lol) and supposedly small/thinner/lighter. to me...all this cosmetic. If all we get, apple resellers get a bit of time to burn off old stock so new in box 2015 at discount price to move old stock a possibility.

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

for example: macbook pro 15" (2015) means only that it is manufactured on year 2015 but having old tech inside. Cpu is from 2013. i wouldnt even consider to buy the 15" model. Either none of them right now.

6. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Everything is rumors right now, just wait a week and see what they announce then make your decision then. If you did opt for the 2015 model it will be cheaper when the new ones come out anyway.

7. leman macrumors 604

Of course the will be standard USB ports, which are called USB-C ;) If your external device uses a different port, just get an appropriate USB cable (most likely USB-B to USB-C in your case), they cost few bucks. Honestly, this entire OMG THEY ARE KILLING ALL MY USB STUFF is a totally overblown nonsense. Change the cable. Problem solved.

8. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

plugs-cables-and even more plugs and cables.. just what i want! a new cable to replace excellent working cables, e.g. hdmi, a new cable or a plug to attach my iphone/ipad to the computer...

that would be a stupid move at the moment to replace all usb's to usbc's and a choice of the year to protect the envinronment: lets change all the cables and buy more cables and plugs! there isnt enough plastic in the environment yet, lets pollute more!

it is not only "to buy more" but it has also huge effect on the environment.

companies should be also responsible about the environment effects their solutions will cause.

9. leman macrumors 604

Any transition hurts. However, in long term, USB-C is a much more sustainable solution because it is literally a single connector that can do everything. Which means more streamlining for connectors, cables and devices in the future. Which in turn, is better for environment.

What solution would you propose? Keep a mixed bags of different connectors, encouraging the industry to produce more and more heterogeneous solutions? In my opinion, a push to standardise connectors is a much better move.

BTW, USB cables can be recycled fairly efficiently. The environmental impact of their replacement is far from being as dramatic as you make it sound.

10. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Or letting apple decide which connector to use on every new products? I dont even remember how many differend cable apple has put to the market... and left them after a year or two.

Letting there be an old usb is a good solution. You can still use your old devices without needing to change anything. Old usb devices are still for years on the market and people will use them. Not to mention companies and what they need. I dont think leaving the the old usb encourage anything because everyone is moving to the new direction. It is abandoned within few years for sure and tou wont see any new devices using it. But it still widely used and it takes years before old devices are replaced. Probably longer than you will use your laptop. So there is no point to ditch them all.

It is a nice thought that people will recycle their cables. The reality is that they put them in a box and when cleaning the house those cables are thrown away with other carbage..

11. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

30pin and Lightning? Firewire to Thunderbolt? USB A to USB C?

12. leman macrumors 604

And that is what USB-C is called to finally solve. It is finally a design that can trully do it all. Don't forget that there are some not-that-far-fetched rumours that it was Apple who initially spearheaded the design of USB-C, most likely based on their own Lightning and Thunderbolt experience.

Yes, and that is easily solvable by using a new cable. You don't need to buy new devices or anything (some mice/keyboards and the usb sticks will be a problem though, admittedly).

You'd be surprised. Many manufacturers won't have much incentive to change if they can still get their market share without any investments. There are many examples where Apple has more or less single-handedly changed the market by making a drastic choice, which at the time was received with a lot of confusion from the critics. Examples include ultra-low-power CPUs (which became a standard now), HiDPI displays and ultra-fast SSDs in consumer products. Now they are pushing for consumer wide-gamut displays and standard universal connectivity.

So here you have it. The true reason behind environmental problems is because people are careless jerks ;)

BTW, in my country you will likely to get prosecuted if you throw a cable into normal garbage.

13. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

https://xkcd.com/927/

If someone wants to transfer a file, they can put it on a USB thumb drive, which can be plugged straight in to any computer in the world built in the last two decades, except for new Mac laptops.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

One of the problems with today's society is lack of personal responsibility and the need to try and blame others for one's own irresponsible actions. This is a good example of that.

Secondly, Apple's push to move to a more streamlined cable standard will actually reduce the number of cables in the long run. Sometimes, you need to look further out to realize the actual outcome.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I posted this picture on another thread, but it's relevant here too: this tiny adapter cost less than a tenner, is made of aluminium and available in silver, gold, space grey and rose gold to match the different rMB colours.
    Plug one of these into a USB-C slots and you can continue to use existing cables without a problem. The low profile thumb drive is included on the picture to show just how small it is

IMG_0291.jpg

Attached Files:

16. leman macrumors 604

I think you might have misunderstood the message in that comic strip (I didn't click on the link, but I assume its the standards one :p )

True, existing USB thumb drives are going to be a problem. Thats why we have things like Airdrop and WiFi, and a number of sticks with both USB-A and USB-C on the market for those who need to use them often. As a last resort, there is also a low-key extender option, like one that Phil A. posted above.

17. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

true unfortunately...

that should be the conseguence everywhere =) metals are easily recycled and not only saving energy but also rocks from mining.