Which mouse is better for new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by basqarl, Feb 28, 2008.

1. basqarl macrumors regular

I want a mouse for my new MBP, although I realize that it comes with the multitouch trackpad.

What is the best mouse available? And is wireless the way to go? What would you recommend--brand and style?

(I have a Logitech for my Dell but even when the mouse is sitting motionless on the mousepad, the arrow slowly drifts across the screen---never had this problem with a wired mouse.)

2. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Logitech and Microsoft Mice are usually recommended on this forum even though I use wireless Mighty Mice with all my macs.
    I prefer wireless but wired does the job equally well

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Get a bluetooth one to avoid using a USB port; if you don't really care, go fore a VX Revolution or Nano.

4. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

I've read varying reviews on the Mighty Mouse. Is there a particular model # you would recommend? I've heard mostly good things about the Logitech (except for the one I have for my PC...). What model is good (easy on the hand, reliable)?

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i use the logitech bluetooth mouse. it is excellent, and the silver version matches the mbp (and my bluetooth keyboard) very well :)

6. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Tell me about using a keyboard with the MBP....how and why? I have read that a lot of people get a keyboard and/or an additional monitor--- under what circumstances is that typically done?

7. skiffx macrumors 6502a

The best mice out there are made by Razer http://www.razerzone.com/
    I currently have DeathAdder, and it blows MS and Logitech out of this world.
    For my MBP Im going to get Black Razer Pro Mobile Bluetooth mouse.
    http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=75

Check reviews on amazon or any other sites...

I have another problem though, what wireless keyboard to get...since the new one made by apple is teh FAIL, and its kinda hard to get the old white one brand new ... I really dont know what to do here.

8. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I looked at this mouse but didn't see evidence that it supports OSX, I guess it's confirmed that it does work, but why don't they report that?

I'm interested in getting a wired setup again (wireless isn't cutting it for me for some reason on my MS Wireless Desktop 6000)...

9. cobbe1 macrumors member

cobbe1

That's just a whole bunch of gamer talks. Yes it might be true that a 2000dpi or 4000dpi mouse is precise, for gaming. But so what. NONE of the Razor muse are ergonomic! And the side buttons are practically unusable (recessed under the top so it's difficult to press). I know, cause I use the Copper Head and Lahesis at my friends house when we game. Don't like it at all. My own gaming mouse is the Logitech G9 (have to tune it down to 2600dpi, full speed 3200dpi too fast). Who needs 2000dpi for web surfing and Word?

For all around use and carrying around I highly recommend the Logitech VX Revolution. Stylish, rubberize grip is comfortable, nice features when install the control center--custom button assignment. Compact yet provides good support for large hand (palm rest), AND it's ergonomic. I use it myself and have yet to find one portable mouse as good.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would highly recommend a Logitech VX Revolution. I've been using one for months and it is fantastic, all the buttons I could want and fantastic ergonomics. The price isn't too bad either if you can catch it on sale.

11. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

I have a Kensington Bluetooth mouse and its wonderful.

I love not having to waste a usb port and it has a very good battery life.

12. NKA macrumors member

Some things to consider

Bluetooth mice do not need a receiver which is a plus point.

Bluetooth mice tend to use two batteries rather than one, so are heavier. Personally I prefer 1 battery. Find somewhere where you can try both mice (make sure they have some batteries installed) to test the weight.

Bluetooth mice can suffer from WIFI interference as they use the same 2.4GHZ frequency and WIFI and cordless phones. I have also found that bluetooth mice tend to be a little less responsive and jerky.

RF mice require usb receivers that stick out of the side of the laptop 30mm or more. The permanent use of a USB port can be a problem of the 15" models. The 17" MacBook Pro has three USB ports, so this is less of a problem on this model. The Logitech VX Nano has the smallest receiver at around 5mm and as a result can be left in the USB port all the time without fear of breaking the receiver or the USB port itself.

Neal

13. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

14. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Well after much research and a hard day's shopping, I bought the Logitech G5 (the new blue one w/ 2 side buttons)...it got tremendous reviews everywhere I looked, particularly on Amazon so I went with it. I haven't opened the box yet so I can't give you any performance results outside of what I read.

As a side note, I also bought the wired Apple keyboard and a 30-pack of DVD+R's on clearance for $5.49 and a 25-pack of DVD+DL's on clearance for $11.49 - all at Best Buy surprisingly. The mouse was $49.99 this week on special (it was cheaper than Amazon) and the Apple keyboard of course was $49.99.

Pretty excited, and glad I got them "cheap" enough to have them in my hands right now.

Now I have to prepare this MS Wireless Desktop 6000 set ready for sale. Not a bad set, I just want to go back to a wired configuration.

15. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Razer deathadder is what I have, its the most comfortable mouse Ive have yet, and I went through all kinds of logitechs and MS mice.

I know that my deathadder is one of the best out there on the market now, and I dont even game that much, its very cofortable and ergonomic.

The logitech mouse youve posted looks nice, however its useless because its usb, maybe if it was bluetooth, it would be a formidable choice.

16. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

+1 for the Logitech VX Revolution.
    I use it with Steermouse, and didn't install the Logitech software.
    I've programmed the search button to activate the Dashboard, and the two side buttons for Expose.

17. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I'm confused. You're recommending the Deathadder mouse, which is USB, but are considering the Logitech mouse "useless" because it uses a USB port? :confused:

18. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I vote for the apple bluetooth mighty mouse. Haven't had a problem with it yet.

I use an additonal keyboard with my MacBook because I leave my MB on my Griffin Elevator and keep my wireless mouse and keyboard in front of me.

19. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Logitech MX Bluetooth Desktop...only use the mouse, but its great and rechargeable.

20. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I dont use my deathadder with a laptop... with a laptop Id use the one I recommended razer pro mobile bluetooth.
    MBPro have so few ports, having one occupied by a usb mouse and lets say another one with an external storage, you are fresh out of usb ports, and switching back and forth isnt quite convenient...

21. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

i'm getting both the logitech vx nano and the v470.

i want bluetooth of the v470 but i want the buttons, ergonomics and responsiveness of the vx nano. so i'll try em both first and decide. the vx nano's RF receiver's tiny so it helps

22. GirthP macrumors regular

I love my apple bluetooth mighty and wired keyboard. I've got a 22" LG in front of me to round it out.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse is worth every penny. No stupid wires to worry about. Just buy 4 rechargeable batteries and you'll be set. I use the Energizer 15-min rechargeables in both the MM and the wireless keyboard. I have had almost zero problems in 13 months.

24. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

My Kensington Pilotmouse Pro would slowly drift across the screen as well. I replaced it with a Razer Pro|Click v1.6, which fits my hand perfectly and tracks incredibly smoothly. I thoroughly recommend Razer mice.

25. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

Mighty mouse- its thin, light and the cable is exactly the right length to be plugged into your laptop while you use the keyboard. Not so good if you use 3d programs as the middle button click aint too clean.