Which of you would use MMS anyway?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peterdevries, Aug 19, 2008.

?

Would you use MMS if it were an iPhone function?

1. Yes.

200 vote(s)
    63.7%
  2. No.

91 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. What is MMS?

9 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Don't know, don't care..

14 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

I have had some mobiles that were capable of sending MMS, but I have sent only a few. In most cases the recipient couldn't recieve them or had to go online to view.

I don't miss this feature at all in the iPhone. Which of you would actually use it if it were a function of the iPhone?

2. Ori macrumors 6502

I would, but mostly to receive rather than to send, but today I received an MMS and had to do that whole web thing to view it. What a pain.

3. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I admit I wouldn't use it that much, but I would still like to be able to if I wanted to.

4. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Ditto, I'd like it, but I rarely send them.

6. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

I'd like to be able to receive MMS message natively, withouting having to view them online.

However, I never send them and rarely receive them, so I'm not too bothered.

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I would use it, but not very often -- maybe twice a month or so.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I e-mail all of my pics.

The pain in the butt is all my friends that try to send them to me, but they now know to send them via e-mail.

It's a minor annoyance.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I haven't needed it once since I got my phone 5 weeks ago, so I doubt I'd use it much.

But all the same, I do wish they'd add it. It'd be nice to have the feature if the need ever came up.

EDIT: Does this kind of thing actually work?
    http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/MMS_Email_Addresses

It would only send, not receive, but I'd have thought I'd see it mentioned around here more if it did work. But I can't remember anyone ever pointing this out.

I have an iPhone so...I can't test it! :-l

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It would be interesting to see the breakdown in regards to region.

Me:I have a great picture of my puppy
    Them: Oh bluetooth it to my phone
    Me: Um i can't do that
    Them: laugh, well MMS it to me then
    Me: Um i can't do that
    Them: laugh
    Me: Well I can email it to you :eek:
    Them: I don't have that set up on my phone because it costs money to retrive the data
    Me: Well you can look at it when you get home

2 out of the 3 quick ways of sending a picture to someone are out of the question because of a lack of options on the iPhone and indeed the cheapest (i.e. free) is not an option :rolleyes:.

Also if the out come of this poll is that only a small minority would use it (say 5%) then it would still be worth it for apple to add it to the iPhone platform as it could be done very unobtrusivley and I am sure there are other features of the phone that are used by less, Stocks anyone.

11. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Nice to have. But not a deal breaker. I haven't been in a situation where I needed/wanted to send an MMS.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. bilboa macrumors regular

I use MMS occasionally, maybe a few times a month, but when I do it's very cool to have. It's a feature I've come to take for granted on any modern cell phone. Most of my friends can receive MMS, but almost none can receive emails on their phone, so email is not a good alternative. I'm with others in finding it surprising that a phone as advanced as the iPhone doesn't support such a commonly used feature. I find lack of MMS even more surprising than lack of voice dialing.

14. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I get MMS messages occasionally, in the 3 weeks ive had the iPhone i've received 3 pictures. It would just be nice to be able to view the pictures in the SMS app rather than having to go to the web browser.

So either native MMS or copy and paste would be nice, so I don't have to remember the code that they send when i go into Safari.

15. BlueRazor2 macrumors member

I wouldn't personally use it but it would be nice to have when friends want to send pictures to your phone directly from their phone. It would also be nice to have when I want to send pictures to someone without them having to access their email to see the picture. I have complaints that are WAY more important/urgent than not being able to send or receive MMS.....

16. dual64bit macrumors 6502

I use to use MMS all the time before the iPhone, my friends and I would play games of "guess where I am" based on the picture in the MMS sent. E-mail would work now, if they all had iPhones. Though most are getting to that point, some still don't - so I can't play the game anymore with all of them.

Would be nice, I'd use it.

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Stocks is just an annoyance because I never use it and cannot delete it. Regarding bluetooth how does it work on the iPhone? I havent figured it out yet. :(

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I had something similar to that last weekend.

I was showing my Mom some pictures on my iPhone and she saw one of my daughter that she wanted. I couldn't send it by bluetooth or MMS and my Mom doesn't do email.

In the end, I had to email it to my daughter at home, who transferred it to her phone over bluetooth and then sent it to my Mom by MMS.

Apple, it just works :rolleyes:

19. peterdevries thread starter macrumors 68040

peterdevries

You could move the icon to the last empty page on your iPhone. That way you would never see it.

20. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

That would annoy me even more. :D

21. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

None of my friends has a data plan for their phones. And some don't have email capable phones. Most of the phones here in Germany aren't smart phones. So MMS is really the only way to send photos. Unless you're willing to wait till your friends check their email when they're home.

22. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Voted yes because of how often I receive them and have to wait til I get home to view it.

I'm not really missing being able to send them.

23. BlueKari macrumors newbie

Same with me, I'd use it just to view rather than to send.

24. aphexii macrumors 6502

Everyone I know uses e-mail on their phones so no, MMS has little usefulness to me.

Also, in my 10+ years of owning quite a multitude of cell phones, I don't believe i've ever sent, nor received an MMS message.