Which On Demand Malware Scanner To Go For?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Penlocky, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Penlocky, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

Penlocky macrumors member

Hi all, I am debating to buy one of these AV products. I will install AV because I want to scan for windows virus as well so do not put down the argument of "MacOS does not need AV". I am also aware that there are no known MacOS virus out in the wild, only some malware that will be evaded by doing safe web browsing practices. But I won't be doing safe browsing practices hahaha.

1. ClamXAV - download source - their website

2. Bitdefender Virus Scanner Plus - download source - Mac app store (bound to GDPR)

3. Malwarebytes - download source - their website

I have selected these because they are all on demand scanners and not a bloatware of "internet security suite". The Bitdefender option in particular is also in the App Store and potentially operates in a sandboxed principle that the App Store guidelines forces so it could be the least intrusive option.

What are the pros and cons of each of these software and vendors? I am deciding based on:
    1. Their running privilege in the OS
    2. The type of user/computer data they collect, files they upload to their servers
    3. What their detection definition is good at detecting
    4. Files/codes they leave behind and alterations they make to the OS/firmware

I read through AV Test and AV Comparatives websites and a lot of articles and forum on MacOS malware so no need to be basic when explaining =).
    What are your opinions and experiences?

Thank you very much!

2. niji Contributor

niji

ClamXAV.
    only this one.
    - almost zero code and bits strewn throughout yr operating system
    - no data info uploaded to their servers
    - all known malware is being detected. virus definitions updated daily

3. Penlocky thread starter macrumors member

I have read in av-test report that ClamAV engine and databases in particular has a lower detection ratio than many paid AV vendors and Bitdefender. As well as a report from Shadowserver a long time ago.

This is the downside of ClamXav (along with yearly subscription) to Bitdefender. However I recall that Malwarebytes uses different detection engine than most AV vendors, so I am completely noob on Malwarebytes.

4. jgrove macrumors member

With so many opinions and so many options on the market, I went for one from the App Store, that uses the ClamX database. Its called Antivrius Zap - Virus and Adware, I think it cost ne around 8 UK Pounds.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Thoroughly confused with the responses so far. There's only one right answer as far as I'm concerned - MalwareBytes for Mac. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

You have a premium option but you don't need that. You can just keep the free version and manually scan every few weeks.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Malwarebytes for Mac will not detect Windows malware. I don’t know about the others.