Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Unlike you, I am neutral (sorry but anyone who has mac in his/her nic has to have their opinion treated with some caution when giving an opinion on anything Apple versus anything else). I am an iphone user but I am not gonna let that affect any opinion I give.

But it's more than that. I checked the N8 and iX one after the other and it's true, the N8 screen just pops out at you. It is arguably the best display I have ever seen on a hand held device. The iX display was good but nowhere near as wow, less nits and less pixels. So in all weather and in all conditions, the N8 screen is superior. And by a significant margin. I would argue they are not even in the same league. Tier 1 and on its own: N8. Tier 2: iX and anyone else who has a similarly good dislay.

For the record, you can adjust the settings on the N8 screen so the colours aren't saturated.

Samsung made the iX screen too, don't forget that. Yea Apple set the specs but no way known Samsung would agree to put better displays on their competitor's devices. Perhaps Samsung gave Apple their 3 year old batch of displays. Just saying. Because honestly, seriously, the N8 display looks 3 years ahead of the iX.

No contest, the N8 in a canter.

Neutral my ass. No one is neutral in these type things. And yes you are right it pops more because it’s over saturated. Your eyes like that, so you think it’s a better display. I don’t like that, so I will never give the edge to the Samsung. And yes I do know you can change the settings, but it does not make a big difference. Still will take the X over the Note.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Did you forget that the note 8 has a few settings to tone down the saturation? Guess you didn’t. Before we start sounding off, maybe we should do a little research first In what it can and cannot do or has or doesn’t have.

Before you make a comment, might want to check first. For the record, I know you can change settings on the Note. Done that, it doesn’t help. Reds will always be the super really over saturated bright almost orange color on the Note 8. It does not matter what setting you put it on. It tones it down, but it does not take it away.

And I don’t think I ever said what either could or couldn’t do. Just that it comes down preference when talking which one is better.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Before you make a comment, might want to check first. For the record, I know you can change settings on the Note. Done that, it doesn’t help. Reds will always be the super really over saturated bright almost orange color on the Note 8. It does not matter what setting you put it on. It tones it down, but it does not take it away.

And I don’t think I ever said what either could or couldn’t do. Just that it comes down preference when talking which one is better.

Nonsense to say red looks like orange. Red looks like red to me. It is not oversaturated in basic mode. Colour looks more "solid" and defined.

Had a play with IP X the other day and compared it with my S8+. The color is more muted and matt finish (lack of depth). It feels like someone used a sand paper and rub over the image.

The refresh rate of X display is not set properly. When scrolling, text seems "smear" more than on my S8+ especially black text on white.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
outside the x looks better for me. colours look more natural. inside though the note 8 is brighter and pops more.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
First time trying out the X demo unit a little while ago.

Nonsense to say red looks like orange. Red looks like red to me. It is not oversaturated in basic mode. Colour looks more "solid" and defined.

Had a play with IP X the other day and compared it with my S8+. The color is more muted and matt finish (lack of depth). It feels like someone used a sand paper and rub over the image.

The refresh rate of X display is not set properly. When scrolling, text seems "smear" more than on my S8+ especially black text on white.

Oh good we have an opinion from someone that used a demo unit. That for sure means the Samsung’s take it.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
These discussions are pointless as it's all preference. Displaymate, which has been referred to on both sides of the argument as the decision maker here, said the X has the best screen ever put in a mobile device. Everything else is just opinion.

I’d take pros proper testing more into consideration than untrained eyes that thinks vivid is how displays should look lol. After all the display is brighter, sharper, and colors pop right? Wrong! In reality one needs to understand how properly calibrated screens should look before claiming one display is better than the other. If possible, calibrate both screens then test and make the comparison. Since we are not able to do so, it really just comes down to preference based on how these screens are calibrated from factory.

Last edited:

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I’d take pros proper testing more into consideration than untrained eyes that thinks vivid is how displays should look lol. After all the display is brighter, sharper, and colors pop right? Wrong! In reality one needs to understand how properly calibrated screens should look before claiming one display is better than the other. If possible, calibrate both screens then test and make the comparison. Since we are not able to do so, it really just comes down to preference based on how these screens are calibrated from factory.

Agree with both comments, individual taste. I don't prefer the oversaturated Samsung screens. They look bright and "pretty". But, not natural.

Reactions: evorc

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have been using both the Note 8 and the iPhone X and I can’t tell the difference in screen quality—they are both outstanding. However, the viewing experience on the Note is far superior due mostly to the size of the screen.

That big screen though makes the Note a bit unwieldy—especially at the gym where I feel a little silly carrying a phablet with me.

On a side note, I’ve tested the LTE data speeds on both devices and the Note is consistently faster—even when tethered to an iPad. Even though the iPhone has a much faster processor, that only goes so far if the internet connection is slower.

Reactions: Sean76

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
These discussions are pointless as it's all preference. Displaymate, which has been referred to on both sides of the argument as the decision maker here, said the X has the best screen ever put in a mobile device. Everything else is just opinion.
Yep, exactly. I work with some calibrated panels and the X is up there with them. In my opinion of course ;)

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
Everyone going to have a opinion about this. It'a all personal taste. I prefer Apples tone screen more the note 8's. Just my opinion and both are amazing screens.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
The X is close in size to an S8 but weighs as much as the S8+, oddly enough. The N8 is more like an X Plus might be in a year.

Note.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Neutral my ass. No one is neutral in these type things. And yes you are right it pops more because it’s over saturated. Your eyes like that, so you think it’s a better display. I don’t like that, so I will never give the edge to the Samsung. And yes I do know you can change the settings, but it does not make a big difference. Still will take the X over the Note.

But I am being neutral. I am an iphone user and I'm here to say that when it comes to the display, the Note 8 is king of the jungle. Honestly this is not even arguable, most people agree the Note 8 display is the best, even if you disagree.

I mean what's there to argue:

Twice as many nits
More pixels for a sharper resolution
Infinity display
Larger screen
No notch

And specs aside, it just looks nicer.

reasonrulaz

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
When I looking Note 8 display, I'm falling in love every time... :D

Because of this, last month I'm have to choice between apple ecosystem (MacBook Pro+ipad+iphone+aw+Airpods+Apple TV) vs MacBook Pro + Note 8 + Gear S3 + AirPods.. It's very hard for me.. But "love" is irresistible...

So, last 15 days I'm torn between every recently iPhone's.. iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8 and finally iPhone X... iPhone X is very nice gadget, but at the end of the day it is same iOS device like others.. At the same time period I compared every one of them with my Note 8.. Note 8 is phenomenally fast... Really.. Synthetic tests are totally meaningless for actual daily usage.. Note 8 ONLY behind iPhone's just game loading time for a couple secs.. Every other situation Note 8 is winner.. I'm not talk about display of course.... ;)

I want to notice a little detail.. AirPods is work with Note 8 really well.. Beside w1 chip range advantage for iOS devices, it's actually works better with note 8..

So I'm decide keep Note 8 + Gear S3 with MacBook Pro (also Apple TV+airpods), iPhone's, AW Series 2 and iPad 10.5 Pro will find their new owners.. :cool:

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
The best way I can describe the two is if you wear contact lenses.

The Note and the Galaxy 8 screens look like your vision after putting a fresh pair of contact lenses in your eyes. The iPhone X looks a bit like you’ve worn your contact lenses to sleep.

There’s just this ever so slight “mist/fog” look on my iPhone X when I look at it next to the Samsung phones. Nothing that bothers me when using my phone as it still looks fantastic, but the Samsungs definitely stand apart at this point.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
When I looking Note 8 display, I'm falling in love every time... :D

Because of this, last month I'm have to choice between apple ecosystem (MacBook Pro+ipad+iphone+aw+Airpods+Apple TV) vs MacBook Pro + Note 8 + Gear S3 + AirPods.. It's very hard for me.. But "love" is irresistible...

So, last 15 days I'm torn between every recently iPhone's.. iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8 and finally iPhone X... iPhone X is very nice gadget, but at the end of the day it is same iOS device like others.. At the same time period I compared every one of them with my Note 8.. Note 8 is phenomenally fast... Really.. Synthetic tests are totally meaningless for actual daily usage.. Note 8 ONLY behind iPhone's just game loading time for a couple secs.. Every other situation Note 8 is winner.. I'm not talk about display of course.... ;)

I want to notice a little detail.. AirPods is work with Note 8 really well.. Beside w1 chip range advantage for iOS devices, it's actually works better with note 8..

So I'm decide keep Note 8 + Gear S3 with MacBook Pro (also Apple TV+airpods), iPhone's, AW Series 2 and iPad 10.5 Pro will find their new owners.. :cool:
That’s an Awful lot to move out in terms of products

How does air pods work better with note 8? Can’t see how that’s possible
[doublepost=1511355510][/doublepost]
But I am being neutral. I am an iphone user and I'm here to say that when it comes to the display, the Note 8 is king of the jungle. Honestly this is not even arguable, most people agree the Note 8 display is the best, even if you disagree.

Twice as many nits
Infinity display
Larger screen
No notch

Display mate doesnt agree

It’s all opinion at the end of the day. You choose what you like

With how much you seem to love the note 8 you really need to dump your iPhone. To say you’re neutral is not right. All you seem to do is go on about how great the note 8 is and trying to tell people about it.

Reactions: bmac4

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

[doublepost=1511355510][/doublepost]
Display mate doesnt agree

It’s all opinion at the end of the day. You choose what you like

With how much you seem to love the note 8 you really need to dump your iPhone. To say you’re neutral is not right. All you seem to do is go on about how great the note 8 is and trying to tell people about it.

Most of displaymate point scoring is colour accuracy. This is just tuning and noting to do with quality of the screen.

Note 8 screen is more advance and better quality in terms of resolution and dynamic contrast, multiple screen modes and higher peak brightnessplus Aod support

If you dig color accuracy, sure ipx is more accurate. But many prefer the vivid and saturated color of note 8.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Had a Note 8, now I have an X. In bright sun, the Note 8 was doing this weird thing where it would crank the brightness so much that the text on the screen looked like it was all written in Bold. Not attractive. X doesn't do that

Reactions: roeiz

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Twice as many nits
Infinity display
Larger screen
No notch

Again not neutral at all, so what’s the point. You like the Note 8 better. That’s is great, but it’s not as simple as you say to crown the Note the best. Even several of your “specs” are just preference. The infinity display, larger screen, and notch. None of those make a better screen. This just means you prefer it more. All well and good, but don’t tell me your neutral and the Note 8 is hands down better. It is to you, so enjoy. Just don’t try to say it like its facts. It’s simply not.

Reactions: roeiz

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Most of displaymate point scoring is colour accuracy. This is just tuning and noting to do with quality of the screen.

Note 8 screen is more advance and better quality in terms of resolution and dynamic contrast, multiple screen modes and higher peak brightnessplus Aod support

If you dig color accuracy, sure ipx is more accurate. But many prefer the vivid and saturated color of note 8.
As I said you choose what’s best for you. In my experience the note 8 looks better indoors but the x better outdoors in direct sunlight.

Overall though there isn’t much difference in either. Note 8 might have the edge but not noticeable to me

walex19

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Atlanta,GA
Note 8 is oversaturated. Don't be fooled by unrealistic tones. It's the sony tvs vs samsungs. Samsungs pop more to fool you.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
As I said you choose what’s best for you. In my experience the note 8 looks better indoors but the x better outdoors in direct sunlight.

Overall though there isn’t much difference in either. Note 8 might have the edge but not noticeable to me

Agree, if either have an edge, it’s very slight. Again I can’t get past the over saturated colors on the Note.

reasonrulaz

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012

I'm trying to describe how AirPods works better with my Note 8.. When AirPods run with apple ecosystem, last device connection rules is not very reliable.. I mean you disconnected from iPhone but when you want to use it again AirPods try to connect iPad... So you have to reconnect manually from action center.. Also reconnection is really slow on iPhone or iPad.. Sometimes connection with AirPods needs more than 10-15 seconds.. Sometimes, you have to remove from ear, than reconnection is possible..

But AirPods with Note 8 is also some negatives & positives ;

Negatives:

1 - Because of W1 chip, poor range compare to iOS devices.. But it's also good as my plantronics 5220.. On the same floor connection quality and reliability is perfect..

2 - If you lost connection from Note 8, it's not auto reconnect while in your ears.. But if you put it in case (on-off) reconnection is ok. Bu i have to say again, reconnection after disconnect (while you out of range) is also problem with iPhone.. Many times I have to wait auto connection, but no avail..

3 - You can't know battery level of AirPods - but with case charge led, it's ok with Note 8

4 - You can't update AirPods of course..

Positives:

1 - Main advantage is connection with Note 8 is fast, lighting fast.. Take out from case, use it without hassle.. I think with iOS devices, AirPods struggle with iCloud o_O Just because of this, sometimes I hate AirPods with iPhone, but joy to use with Note 8.. Speed is most important thing for these type of devices.

2 - Charge it with my Note 8 ;)

3 - Sound level is higher than iPhone.

Reactions: Sunnyday2017
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.