Which Phone - 6S or 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by High Desert, Oct 17, 2016.

1. High Desert macrumors regular

I am currently a Samsung S5 phone user, but over the past year have moved into a MBP and iPod Touch system. As my contract is ending next month on my current phone, I am seriously considering moving to the iPhone platform, which I have never used. In reading the comments about the iPhone 7, there seems to be no real revelation between the 6s and 7, although the 7s+ is noteworthy camera wise (not a big deal to me) and battery is (slightly) better. The advantage I see to using iPhone is that all my systems are connected. My other option is to stay with the Samsung S7 or S7 Edge and no connectivity between peripiherals. I am totally open to suggestions and recommendation here. The 6s can be had for about $200 less than the 7, so is there $200 difference in the phones. I am not really interested in the 7s+, due to size, could care less about color and am thinking minimum of 64 gb, probably 128 is answer. As I understand it, ram is 2gb, across the board? Thx for any useful comments

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

In general, if you can afford it, you're almost always better off getting the latest model, if for no other reason than Apple will continue to support it with software updates and bug fixes for longer. In this case, I would also add that the extra 1-2 hours of battery life on the 7 justifies the upgrade almost on its own unless your routine keeps you consistently near a charger. Having OIS on the camera and water resistance are also nice improvements. Will any of these be a huge difference over the 6S? Probably not, but you'll appreciate having them!

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Absolutely there's a difference. I can't see myself ever using the old home button or speakers again.

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

When you say $200 difference, I'm assuming your choice is to pay cash for a used 6s, or buy a new 7.

The 7 is clearly the better phone, but since you're indifferent towards the camera and battery life improvements, I would say get the 6s and save some money. The areas where the iPhone 7 bests the 6s are areas where the 6s is pretty good, so you're not going to miss anything in day-to-day use.

5. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks MacDevil, 12V and BeeGood for your input. Seems that 7+ is slight advantage, 7 would work with updates over 6s being minimal. I can get the 6s cheaper through my carrier, new, than buying on resell market. Will have to go and play with these a bit finalize my decision. Will probably buy through contract and not worry about what the next generation phone will be like. Will probably offer more than I need, or can figure out :)

6. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Definitely get the iPhone 7 especially if your going to wait 2 years to get another new phone. I also came from galaxy I had the s7. I now have the matte black iPhone 7 and I love it. The new speakers and home button and color is worth the upgrade from the 6s and imo this phone looks a lot more premium then the 6s from what I've seen. Go with the 7!!!

7. its Dale macrumors 6502

I agree. If you can afford, always go for the latest model

8. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like the best answer is go with the 7. Thx for the input!

9. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Just don't get the jet black if you don't like scratches there guaranteed to get scratched some even say there's was scratched in the box. Get the regular black or a different color if you don't like the scratches

10. Shyuura macrumors newbie

Hi, as a long term android user (for 3 years now, currently using the s7 edge) I have now decided to go back to iOS for a while, haven’t used it since the iPhone 5, but I just can’t decide between the iPhone 7 32GB and the iPhone 6S plus 64GB (don’t want to spend a lot).

My usage is pretty basic I don’t worry a lot about storage since I save most of my pics and videos on my PC/Cloud, music takes up to 5gb max + streaming services (Spotify + google play music) and most apps I install are lightweight, I am not into mobile gaming and on my android devices apps take up to 6GB (cache included).

Now my biggest concern is the battery life, I hear that the one on smaller iPhones is terrible while the Plus models offer a greater battery life. I use my phone moderately to heavily when outside or at work (mobile data on, mails & web browsing, calls, texting, music etc.) but when home my usage is pretty moderate to light. My second concern is the display, being used to a QHD I am afraid that the resolution on the regular iPhone might not look that good to me, size doesn’t matter a lot (in terms of handling).

What’s making me skeptical about the iPhone 6S Plus is how future proof the device is in terms of performance and possible resale value when it’s time to upgrade to the next 2017 iPhone.

Obviously the 7 is more future proof and it could be good enough for me if the battery can last 12h per day at least, I always charge my phone on a daily basis before sleep anyway because I need it at full capacity in the morning.

Finally, what I am looking for the most is experiencing iOS and taking a break from android for a while, who knows! Might end up using iPhones for longer than expected. Any advice based on your personal experience or knowledge is very helpful, which one should I get and why? Sorry for the long post and thank you :)

11. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

12. Shyuura macrumors newbie

I know it's a great device, but too small for me.

13. htc fan macrumors 6502

14. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

You said size doesn't matter, thought I would suggest.

15. Shyuura macrumors newbie

Sorry! I meant when choosing between 4.7" and 5.5"

It’s pretty much unavailable where I live (not in the US), and those who have it are selling It for a ridiculously high price (around 1200$ for iPhone 7 plus 32GB VS 760$ for the regular 7 32GB) the 6S plus 64GB costs around 650$!

16. ISRMafia macrumors regular

ISRMafia

defintly the iPhone 7 in my opinion. New sensors all abroad the phone has a much better battery overall . Go for the iPhone 7 128 gb so you dont run out if space in 1 year either

17. Shyuura macrumors newbie

Does it last a full day (4.7" iPhone 7)?

18. ISRMafia, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

ISRMafia macrumors regular

ISRMafia

Looking at your workflow i think the iPhone will hold on ,The battery is bigger and the processor is much more efficient Than last models.So definitely an improvement.I do some gaming, watch youtube, some Snapchat,Calls and I send a lot of messages so sometimes im a heavy user and sometimes a very light user . Standby time is amazing and in ios 10.1 its gonna be even greater.Im doing just fine lasting Up till the end of a day .
    But i also dims the brightness to half most if the time.

I would save the money and buy the 7 Plus cause of the camera which is the best on the market and DSLR like portrait mode.but battery life is excellent on the regular 7 so its really up to you.

19. High Desert thread starter macrumors regular

So, just to update my decision point. Went in and got the iPhone 7 in matte black with 128 gb yesterday from Verizon, so it is an unlocked version. Played with the +, but just did not like the bigger size and the other adders were not a big deal to me. First thing that happened when I went to use it is that it did not like my old apple id, so went through the process of resetting that. Coming from Android, and even though I have a mbp and iPod touch, there is still a pretty good learning curve on this thing. So far I like it and got the zagg screen protector and am now looking at which case to get. Yeah, I know - its pretty and a case will spoil it, but I am not spending that much money on a phone to drop it and have it break. Thinking about the UAG case as I used that on my S5. The 7 is a nice phone, snappy quick, good screen, and probably does more than I can get out of it in the next 6 months. Have to go find a 10 year old to spend some time with and get educated!