Which TV Shows Do You Consider Failure(s)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by albertfallickwa, Mar 3, 2014.

1. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I gather that Emily Owens MD didn't do very well.

Any others?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Maybe you could define what you would consider to be a 'failure' with greater clarity?

After all, there were shows, which were considered 'failures' at the time they were broadcast, being far too much ahead of their time, and thus did not enjoy huge popularity, (especially if 'failure' is judged to be poor ratings and popular bewilderment) but which came to be regarded as utter classics years later, when the more 'popular' shows of the original era had been all but forgotten.

The original 'Star Trek' comes to mind, as does Patrick McGoohan's outstanding series 'The Prisoner'.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I thought "The McLean Stevenson Show" was a total failure!

Oh...wait...you mean a bit more current...

Never mind...:eek:

4. albertfallickwa thread starter macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Well by that definition I guess that "Twin Peaks" by David Lynch would be a commercial failure even though it's a masterpiece of TV film making.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Depends on what you mean by "failure". If you're talking a show that collapsed in its first season there are THOUSANDS.

I think "failure" means completely fell apart with its own promise. To my mind there are three shows that fit this perfectly: Invasion, Flash Forward, and Heroes.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Terra Nova comes to mind first, followed by Dracula (NBC) along with the majority of shows broadcast.

----------

I think Invasion and Heroes, ran into a story roadblock. ;)

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I agree about Heroes. The first season was awesome: Great execution from start to finish with what was learned in first couple episodes being pivotal at the end. It should have ended there.

9. albertfallickwa thread starter macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Interestingly enough, Heroes is coming back in a new version.

10. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Absolutely. Seriously Heroes had so much potential but the writers obviously started smoking crack at some point after the first season.

They messed with Sylar too much. Introduced too many plot elements which were quickly discarded, and most importantly they didn't kill the cheerleader.
    Claire got WAY too much screen time and was a boring character. Keep her around if you want but not to the detriment of developing more interesting characters.

WASTED POTENTIAL

/rant :p

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Absolutely agree. First season was great, and then it just spun out of control and got really difficult to follow. Too many story-lines going at once, for one thing.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I really liked Heroes. Season 1 and the second half of season 3 were so good, but season 2 and the whole of season 4 were just awful. I'm excited to see what they do with its return, but I hope they have majority of the main cast back.

13. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

What shows are a failure? Any US remake of a massively popular British Show

The Inbetweeners (cancelled after one series)
    The IT Crowd (saw the American pilot... just awful!)
    Red Dwarf (again.. saw the American pilot... just awful!)
    Top Gear (Why? Just Why?)
    Skins (made one season and switched to airing the original UK version!)
    The Tomorrow People (actually I never saw the original UK version which was aimed at after school kids TV... the US version just seems silly)

The Office US is one and only exception to this list... seen every episode :D

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Ya american Top Gear is not good.

15. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Actually come to think of it I did some research and I didn't realise House of Cards was originally a British show made during Thatchers tenure in the 90's. I hear the US version is really good.... I shall have to download it.

16. albertfallickwa thread starter macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

House of Cards is an instance where the US version is much superior to the British version.

I don't think that State and Main (the Mamet film) was better than its British counterpart.

17. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

You've seen the original House of Cards? I was 10 when that was made, I'd not even heard of it!

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

One and only?

All in the Family (Till Death Do Us Part)
    Sanford and Son (Steptoe and Son)
    Three's Company (Man About the House)
    American Idol (Pop Idol)
    Being Human
    Dear John
    Getting On
    Queer as Folk
    Shameless
    Dancing with the Stars (Strictly Come Dancing)

19. northernmunky, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Some of those I've actually not heard of.. never watched Pop Idol or Strictly.

Being Human though no chance, British version was epic!.. couldn't really get into the remake.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It doesn't help that the US TV companies didn't even attempt to be remotely original. Most shows copied nearly line for line. Appalling display of lazy work.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe this happens in both directions borrowing ideas from across the Pond. :) I can't tell you exactly but my impression is that it happens more going East to West.

22. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

But with all due respect, who cares about your opinion? The subject at hand is shows that failed and all these shows were successful. All of them (except Getting On, which is new) have run longer than the British originals.

As in everything TV related, the list of shows that failed would be considerably longer.

23. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

@NewbieCanada You're Canadian? We're talking about US/British TV shows!.. why would you care about anyones opinion? FYI I'm not expecting anyone to care about my opinion..to each their own. This thread is just a bit of fun. Lighten up.

I'm not starting a flame war today!

24. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i agree completely! american top gear is terrible!

25. dec., Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

dec. Suspended

dec.

Besides the obvious ones like Heroes, I'd suggest The Walking Dead - the first few episodes were amazing, one of the strongest TV show starts but then it turned into a huge snore fest (literally as in one of the last episodes we basically were watching a man hide under a bed for an hour - with a snoring guy in it). This morning I even forgot to "get ahold" of the new episode.

Edit: "The Following" as well. It's stunning how writers can make every single person of a cast behave absolutely pathetic, idiotic, dumb and stupid and oblivious to logical thinking.
    And obviously every single show with Christian Slater, including all of the ones in the future.

(and the US version of Shameless is great)