Which version of MyWi and where?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chodite, May 3, 2010.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Just JB my 3GS (Spirit) and am having a difficult time finding MyWi

I see the Rock version, but have read not to DL that version. Also not comfortable giving my credit card info... I saw somewhere that you can pay via Paypal for MyFy.. just can't find the "right" version!

2. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Can someone highlight why the one without Rock is better? Just curious.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think, I could be wrong, but I believe the No Rock version comes straight from Cydia and doesn't require you to install Rock, which is just like another Cydia store. I also think the school of thought is that installing things from rock with rock extensions bogs things down. I could be wrong overall.

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

There is no difference in the one from Rock and the "No Rock" version. The no rock version just comes from a different repo and there are no Rock extensions necessary. I know this as I was running Rock and MyWi until my last restore about a month or so ago. After that restore I decided to not install Rock Your Phone and just go with the No Rock version of MyWi. Works exactly the same and now I don't have the RYP problems that I was having before (mobile substrate conflicts, not MyWi).

No downside to MyWi No Rock!

5. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

There's a difference. MyWi installed via Rock does seem to require a lot more juice to run and your iPhone gets terrible hot - while using it not even a wall charger was able to keep up with the power consumtion of is beast... I read that others were havingn the same issue so I restored to 3.1.2, read back my backup and ignored to install Rock via Blackra1n and installed MyWi w/o the Rock extentions from Cydia.

Situation is much much better now, it doesn't drain the batty as fast and it doesn't get nearly as hot...

There now seems to be a crusade against Rock on Twitter, I am not taking any part in this - I just report my own experience ;)

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

No difference on mine whether it was the old with Rock version or the new no rock version. I'm just glad to get rid of RYP as an installer program. I rarely even use it anyway. I go straight to the native tethering app that becomes active when you install MyWi and use bluetooth tethering. So now you have three options: MyWi via wifi,usb, or bluetooth!

7. eyespii macrumors 6502

where can i get mywi? i've tried the cydia store a few times and each time it says the host is unreachable.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cydia is very busy yesterday and today.
    Give it some time and try again later.
    Server is getting pounded.

9. Reser macrumors 6502

Been trying to get mywi working for days. I got it installed. It has the blue banner saying it is tethered. My Ipad connects fine and says connected to the iPhones wifi. However when i try and browse internet e.t.c it says it cannot connect. What am i missing? I have uninstalled and reinstalled over and over and cannot get it to work :/

10. err404 macrumors 68020

You will probably find that you are not getting an address from DHCP and even if you manually enter one, you can see your phone from your iPad but nothing else. There seems to be a problem with MyWi corrupting the routing table on your phone.
    Try reseting your network settings after installing MyWi... Open the Settings app and go to General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. The phone will reboot and when you next launch MyWi it will ask to respiring. After that you should be fine.
    I need to go though these steps pretty frequently, but it's mostly painless. I have been asking around on the MyWi forum, the only answer I have received is that the 3.1.3 firmware is buggy with MyWi. Hopefully now that Spirit is out, this will get fixed.

FYI - after the reset you will lose any WiFi networks that are configured on your phone and will need to re-join them.

11. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

just an update - I installed MyWi for my iPhone 3GS from Rock and my wifi iPad is now portable. Sooo happy :D

12. Jr1985 macrumors 6502

If I buy and install the rock version, and change my mind, do I have to buy it again if I want to install the no-rock version?

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I originally bought the RYP version. When I later installed the "no rock" version it checked and found my license. No additional charge!

14. Jr1985 macrumors 6502

MyWi (No Rock) currently says "We apologize - the latest Cydia update is preventing us from identifying you device. We are working hard at resolving this and should have a fix within the next 24 hours (May 2 2010)".

So I assume we have to wait until they fix this before we can download it?

15. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I saw that too. It didn't pop up the "this app purchased" message for me either. Patience my friend, this is a crazy day!

16. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

The servers are getting pounded and overloaded by all the iPhone owners that want MyWi so they can create a WiFi for their brand new iPads. Patience and you will get there.

17. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Believe me, the developer of MyWi wants things to settle down. He is about to hit a new wave of revenue with the iPad released and a new jailbrake!

18. Jr1985 macrumors 6502

Woohoo! I've installed MyWi and am posting from my macbook tethered to my iphone :)

19. pkdoyle macrumors member

Me too!!! Oh this is so nice! I just jail broke my iPhone 3GS (3.1.3) and am now tethering to it from my iPad 64GB WiFi! :cool:

Many thanks to all the posters with great info on how to do this. I have never jail broken before and was a little apprehensive.
    LIFE IS GOOD! :D

20. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Glad you like! I'm going to pick up a wifi version of the iPad this week. I figured why pay for the 3g version if I already have MyWi up and running on my iPhone 3g(s)!

21. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I would remain very cautious in this endeavor. Thousands of people are activating MyWi and running their iPads and many of those are not being conservative.

AT&T is going to start monitoring data usage on iPhones pretty quickly and will note the big changes made from normal usage over the period of ownership and now they see massive changes. If anyone thinks AT&T is going to not notice excessive usage and not charge, or change things, then your fooling yourselves.

Be very very careful people, soon these threads will be filled with...AT&T did this...I had to pay xxx dollars for over usage and so much more. Mark my words, with all of this activity over the last two days, its coming!

22. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I agree to be cautious, but I have yet to get near the 5gb unlimited "cap". As long as we stay under the cap, then can only speculate but never prove anything. However, they are greedy and would look for a way to change our TOS at some point.

23. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

This is you and a few others...the majority of what I am seeing in the posts are not even thinking about this. Sitting down for lunch everyday and turning on your iPhone and surfing the internet every single day for the billing period for 30 minutes is going to make a big change in usage behavior from previous periods.

I have used mine no more then I would normally use my iPhone on line or streaming. If I use 15 minutes on WiFi then I deduct 15 minutes from my normal music streaming usage just to maintain some semblance of normality.

I just want users here to think first and let someone else become the example!

24. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

The MyWi "No Rock" is through AppSidy. When you visit the AppSidy website, it tells you that their apps are now available only through RYP.

Any other solutions?