Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hi All,

I am using MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 512 SSD, just upgraded my RAM to 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (from 4 Gb 1333MHz).

I am running Yosemite, Version 10.10.5 (14F1808).

I am a relatively new MBP owner. I want to install Windows through Bootcamp. I am reading up on that in the Forum.

I would like advice, user experiences on which version of windows is best/smooth on Yosemite, given my system configuration.

I upgraded the RAM, so that I could install Windows. I would also like to instal a virtual machine (VM) in the windows partion , so that I may have quick access to windows if need be.

I like OS X, and prefer to use it more, but I have to use MS Excel on a regular basis for work. So I would like to use OS X and have the VM there, so I can use it for Excel ( and Word if need be). I would like to keep windows installed through Bootcamp, in case I need to work in a windows environment and it requires more processing than available through VM.

As I said, I'm a newbie, and I have read up on these things from this Forum, so thanks to the Forum. I would like guidance from you all on how best to achieve this.

Thanks in advance for the replies :)

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Thank you for your reply tubeexperiance.

I was thinking Windows 7 would suffice for my needs.

Are you using Virtual Box?

Are you using Windows through BootCamp?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If you're going to run Windows via Bootcamp, it's not running on OS X at all. The two are not related.

Reactions: MBP_187

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If you're going to run Windows via Bootcamp, it's not running on OS X at all. The two are not related.
They are in a small way as you know depending on which version of MacOS you are running for the average user bootcamp assistant will only allow version X of windows or higher

If the user upgrades to newer MacOS he's likely only to have Win10 as a choice and reverting back to Win 7 would be harder in some scenarios

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
If the user upgrades to newer MacOS he's likely only to have Win10 as a choice and reverting back to Win 7 would be harder in some scenarios[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your input SteveJUAE :)

I do not intend to upgrade from Yosemite anytime soon. I was thinking that Win 7 would suffice for my needs. I have recently read about 'drivers' for Windows through Bootcamp, and it seems that it might be easier to install Win 7 (...?)

Also, do you have any advice/instructions/links on how I may install Windows through the VirtualBox app?

Thanks in advance for replies.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If the user upgrades to newer MacOS he's likely only to have Win10 as a choice and reverting back to Win 7 would be harder in some scenarios

Thank you for your input SteveJUAE :)

I do not intend to upgrade from Yosemite anytime soon. I was thinking that Win 7 would suffice for my needs. I have recently read about 'drivers' for Windows through Bootcamp, and it seems that it might be easier to install Win 7 (...?)

Also, do you have any advice/instructions/links on how I may install Windows through the VirtualBox app?

Thanks in advance for replies.
Sorry can't advise on VB app

I would still recommend Win10 you can get keys very reasonable priced and the compatibility mode should help if the bootcamp drivers are troublesome but most of Apple stuff for KB etc should be fine

You can even skip the registration part during installation to see its working fine before getting a key

FYI I installed Win10 on an old 2006/7 MM biscuit tin PC from Sony we use just for streaming with zero issues

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I'm using Windows 10 (through BootCamp) on my early-2011 MacBook Pro. Previously used Windows 7 and then upgraded to 10.

I would also recommend updating to MacOS Sierra. Is there a particular reason why you want to stay on Yosemite?

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I'm using Windows 10 (through BootCamp) on my early-2011 MacBook Pro. Previously used Windows 7 and then upgraded to 10.

I would also recommend updating to MacOS Sierra. Is there a particular reason why you want to stay on Yosemite?

I have recently installed Windows 10 in my MBP, through VirtualBox. It is running smoothly, so far.

I'm relatively new to Apple products and MBP. I have read on the Forum that Sierra consumes a lot of RAM; not sure if this is true.

For my current needs, Yosemite seems to be performing well, so I do not have any incentive for upgrading. I have not read anything on the Forum to suggest otherwise. I'm sure there are some benefits to using El Captain / Sierra, but they might be incremental for me.

Thank you for your post.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
It doesn't really, and with 16GB in your computer, you have no reason to be concerned.

Thanks for the info.

I have 16Gb RAM, but I have allocated 2 Gb for Android emulator (Andy) and 4Gb for Windows 10, both in VirtualBox.

But you are right, 10 Gb RAM should be enough for Sierra. Just cannot think of any good reason to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.