Which would you prefer, 64 GB touch or 32 GB iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mariokarter, May 31, 2008.

1. mariokarter macrumors member

Assuming the next two configurations of ipods/iphones are a 64 GB touch and a 32 GB iPhone, which would you prefer? Right now I'm looking for a new mp3 player to house my 50 GB+ music collection. Right now I have an iPhone (which i love) but don't even use it for playing music much because syncing music is a pane in the ass. So...a 64 gig iPhone is unlikely to come out, but a 64 gig touch likely will. Do you think its worth sacrificing the speaker, volume key, and play pause button (all of which I use)?

Realistically trying to get enough juice out of one battery to be a phone and mp3 player just isn't possible so I'll likely be carrying two devices most of the time anyways. So perhaps getting the touch isn't so bad if I have my iPhone/nokia with me anyways.

Question for an owner of both a touch and iPhone: Can an ipod touch utilise the play/pause function of iPhone headphones?

2. mariokarter thread starter macrumors member

also one more reason why im hesitant to jump for the touch is it doesn't come with a dock and wall charger right? Just the usb cable.

3. jakeacc macrumors regular

I hate having to carry my iPod and a cell phone around with me. I prefer one device that will do both. Thats why I'm getting an iPhone.

32 GBs is a lot of music. I have about 80 GBs on my computer, but I dont need all 80 GBs with me on my portable device.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'm in for the touch. Already have a phone that I seem to lose every year and a half or so which would kill me if an iphone.

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I could fit my music in 32 gigs, so I am looking for 32 gig iPhone.

6. seattle macrumors 6502

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If I had neither, I would go with the 32GB iPhone for the added features over the Touch.

This will be especially true if he rumored iPhone has GPS and 3G.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

32gb iPhone for sure. I'd love 64gb, but why carry around a Touch when I'm already carrying around an iPhone?

9. neven macrumors 6502a

32 GB iPhone all the way.

Mind if I ask which part of music syncing you're having trouble with? Not trying to be a smartass, but I find iTunes' music syncing options to be plentiful and excellent.

10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

32gig iPhone... I would be fine with 16 so 32 would be great.

11. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

All of your logic is ridiculously confused.

The iPod Touch and iPhone are two very different products when you look at it. The iPod Touch is for people who want the touch features but do not want / cannot have / cannot afford the iPhone. For some reason you want to have both?? What is the point. It just sounds like you want to have the touch features for the sake of having them all of which are on the iPhone anyway, when you could be sensible, have an iPhone for general iPod use, then get a high capacity iPod Classic for when you are actually needing all that large capacity. An example being myself in which I have an iRiver H340 (old school yea!!) for music in the car, but have the iPhone for when walking about.

1. You want to have a 50GB+ music collection, yes you are speculating that the capacity will rise, but really wanting to have that large a collection really only points to one thing, the iPod Classic. Also going into the 64GB territory at the moment is extremely expensive so I think it will be a while yet before it happens, although I may be wrong.

2. How is syncing a pain in the ass. That is just ridiculous logic when you sync the iPhone and iPod Touch exactly the same way.

3. You said that you never use your iPhone as a an iPod in point number 2. Now you say is it worth giving up the features which I quote "(all of which I use)" Stating that term like that implies that you use the features reasonably regularly. Again you are making no sensical argument.

4. The iPod on the iPhone I have found is very very good on the battery. Using it all day on my iPhone results in minimal hit to the battery life. So your statement of "Realistically trying to get enough juice out of one battery to be a phone and mp3 player just isn't possible" really is an uneducated stab in the dark obviously with minimal real life exposure to the subject.

I can never ever see the point of carrying such a large music collection just for the sake of having it for day to day use. Yes having it with you if you are going on a long journey, in the car, needing to take it with you for a specific reason or just to have for the speakers in the house. Otherwise an iPhone is more than enough.

My advice would be to clear your head, start really getting your thoughts on track and actually envision what you will really be doing. At the moment you seem very very confused as to what you want.

My advice would be iPhone for your phone and general iPod, then get a iPod Classic for when you actually need that sort of functionality with you.

12. sjw macrumors regular

Definitely the iPhone! I could fit my music collection on it and it would be awesome to have just the one gadget to carry around.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

a 32GB iPhone is what I'm after.

I have an 8GB Touch and it's just nowhere near enough. I have to be pretty selective about what I put on it, I just checked iTunes and it seems I've got 2180 songs (15.07GB) rated three stars or higher - so a 16GB iPhone wouldn't cut it either. I'd like to be able to keep a movie or two on the iPhone, plus the latest episodes of my favorite TV shows (not to mention home videos for my family) ...

Yeah. I hope they release a 32GB iPhone - I don't care how much it costs, THAT'S the one I want. I'm guessing it'll be around $1000USD here in Tokyo, and that's how much I've got tucked away. :D

14. davidg14 macrumors newbie

2 different devices and it depends how much GB you need.
    I have about 40 of music, but I could fit my music in 32 gigs.
    and I need a new phone. Iphone :D

15. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I have a 16Gb iPod touch atm, and would jump at a 64GB. I currently have roughly 40GB of music, so I'm picking and selecting which tracks I want with me at any given time, and hence 32GB doesn't cut it.

Plus, who wants to pay £35-50 a month for data charges when the iPod touch has the same services (minus SMS & Phone capability), but no charges?

I certainly don't. Bring on the next revision to iPod touch.

R-Fly

16. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Looks like another uneducated shot in the dark. You don't pay £35-50 a month just for data. You also get your minutes and texts in that bundle. You will find, and I am guessing you are meaning the O2 tariffs from the use of £, that the tariffs are very reasonable and good value for money for what you are actually getting (I admit at the start they were terrible though). Although many people have difficulty grasping this concept due to not being able to quantify the data costs.

You also state that the iPod Touch has the same services. I bet you will be one of the ones complaining when you have to pay for the 2.0 update to get those services. Another thing that will be free for iPhone users because of their contract.

Maybe you should actually do some research first before making bold unfounded comments like that.

17. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yes I was referring to o2, and I was actually referring to 'data charges' as a general summarization. Last time I checked 'minutes' and 'texts' are classed as being 'data'.

£35 is not value for money. After 12 months your down £420 (£35/mth on top of the 269.99 unit price? - that isn't value for money. Plus if you choose to keep the contract on, after 18 months, your down £630 just on the contract alone - I just can't justify paying in the region of £900 over 18 months for the iPhone on the MINIMUM contract currently offered.

As i've stated before, I have no problem what-so-ever (price dependent) with paying for updates to iPod touch. I'm actually happy Apple are a company who release these huge updates, regularly, instead of letting their products wither away with the same dull software, as most of the market does currently. I fully understand that Apple cream off the top of monthly contracts, and with the hugely inflated prices of these contracts, iPhone users should receive free updates, so I have no problem with that, I just can't justify paying o2's tariffs for something which I currently get free of charge (safari use). I'd pay for the minutes and text's, because I currently don't have that functionality, as I'm going to purchase the 2.0 update, and as I previously purchased the JSU, because it was added functionality. One thing I'm not going to do is lie down and let o2 take £35 a month for internet use, whether it be classed under 'unlimited use' or has a data tariff attached to it.

I don't need to be subjected to EDGE, I don't need internet access everywhere - sure it'd be nice, but I'm not about to pay o2 £35/mth for 18 months for the privilege - make it £15/24 months, then we might talk.

R-Fly

18. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

whatever happens with the touch is fine with me, i really want a 32GB iPhone. I hope they do offer a (Product)Red version as well, but i really am not counting on it. the current look is fine and goes well with my iMac.
    I have my iPod Nano for the gym which only hold 8GB of music which is fine for the gym. the 32GB iphone would be nice for more videos and music on my phone and while traveling.

19. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Since when have data charges been a general summation. What is that all about?? Have you ever seen a 3G data dongle sold for data on the move and them saying, also with getting this it actually covers the cost of messages and calls you will be making from your computer. 300MB's of calls per month!! That is just complete and utter junk.

Calls are measured in minutes/seconds, Texts are measured in quantity and Data is measure in kilobytes. Always has been like that. You ever seen your calls measured in kilobytes?? Dont think so there. Also have you ever used a significant amount of data over a plan that does not included it. I doubt that as well. I can tell you, its expensive.

The whole thing is not a difficult concept of which seems to be missed on you. If you cant afford it, don't bitch about it. It may not be value for money to you but thats not the consensus of everyone.

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Same. I have a 43GB music library and about 33GB of video, so a 32GB iPod would provide me plenty of room to hold the 15-20GB of music I listen to most often along with a good chunk of TV to keep me occupied. 64GB would be cool, but probably a little overkill.

21. klcc88 macrumors member

tough say.......I have a blackberry for work so an iPhone's phone function does me no good. I do like the camera function of the iPhone. So if the space is not an issue, I'd go for the iPhone. I have the 32g itouch as the iPhone is not yet available in Canada and I did not want to void my warranty by buying the iphone @ $500-600 an get stuck if something goes wrong. Using my touch now at starbucks.

22. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I have quite a few GB's of music on my computer, but there's no way you can possibly listen to 50GB all the time, can you? I know it's irritating when you want to listen to a certain song/album and realize that's the one you decided NOT to add to your iPod/iPhone but I think that's how it's going to go. I'd take the 32GB iPHone.

23. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

32 iPhone. I think for having content on the go 32gb is enough. I just have the 8 right now and its OK but my last trip I did want to watch a few more movies on it so having 16 or 32 would be perfect for me.

24. guitarguy09 macrumors member

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Me too!