Which YouTube method?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Mar 17, 2017.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

So I've been trying to use my PowerBook G4 12" 1.5ghz a little more and have wanted to use YouTube on it for a bit but sadly YouView stopped working for me.

What method should I try? I've wanted to try Coreplayer and YouTube in WebKit but I wasn't sure where or how to set it up.

Thanks!

2. Lastic macrumors 6502

Have a look at these posts :

I did a summary of the available options before SMTube worked and Dronecatcher found another alternative

This is the work-around created by Dronecatcher using Tenfourbox, youtube-dl and mplayer.

New Youtube Player/Downloader..even For G3

This is a GUI frontend but you need to install Xcode and Macports which takes up a lot of diskspace.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...5-8-alternative-for-youview-mactubes.2030035/

Basically it boils down to :
    1. using HTML5 playback in a browser either native (slow depends on processor/RAM/videocard ) or pretending to be a mobile device (UserAgent)
    2. using an extension or other application to STREAM the video from the browser on the Youtube page as done with
      ClickToPlugin, NinjaKit, TFF PopupPlayer, PPC Mediacenter
    3. using an extension or application to DOWNLOAD the video from Youtube and then playback in a video player
      ClickToPlugin, NinjaKit, youtube-dl
    4. using a stand-alone application to browse Youtube and send the video STREAM to a preferred video player
      SMtube ( this used to work with MacTubes, YouView )
    MODS, might it be worthwhile to create a sticky on top of the forum with a grand summary of all Youtube posts so there is one general topic to find this FAQ ?

Other forum members, please correct me if I'm wrong or forget an option.

3. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

360p YouTube videos work just fine for me in WebKit on my MDD. Just download the browser and then you're ready. If you want more than 360p videos (or you want to optimise CPU use) read carefully Lastic's reply.

4. TheMrKocour macrumors newbie

TheMrKocour

I am using TonVid in TenFourFoxBox, using right click i copy link and then i use PPC Media Center. I can watch video or i can download it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Lastic macrumors 6502

Just one more thing :)

I'm just picking up on Roccat, saw the video on Flick (Handoff sort of thing) and decided to install it.

It's a WebKit based browser like Safari or Webkit/Stainless/Demeter/... but first thing that struck me is that it is FAST and plays HTML5 360p Youtube videos without any hiccups on Better Battery Life while running at 60-70% CPU ( PB G4 12" 1.5Ghz , ATA SSD, 1,25GB RAM )
    , looks like it supports way more HTML5 options than Safari on OS X 10.5.8

Webkit

Webkit HTML5 Youtube.png
    Roccat

ROCCAT HTML5 Youtube.png

6. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Are you sure you use the latest Webkit build? Here's what I get:

Immagine 1.png

I do like Roccat, but I find Webkit a lot more stable.

Attached Files:

7. Lastic macrumors 6502

I'm a bit confused because I think that your screenshot is Webkit ? Not Roccat ?

I didn't link Roccat against Webkit yet, just installed the 7.1 version from their site and tried youtube on it and it's pretty fast and shows also WebM VP8 playback.

My Webkit linked Safari is version r210430 (602+) but looks like Leopard Webkit was updated 7 days ago.

8. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Yeah that was Webkit, latest build, the 7 days ago one.

9. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I'll check these out and let you know how it goes, thanks a lot!

I'll be sure to check this out as well, never heard of PPC media center before

Wow 60-70 usage, that's pretty good I'll definitely try that. I've heard of Roccat before but didn't know of its performance

10. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

So last night I tried out Roccat, and the CPU usage was at 60-70 and 360p played flawlessly! Never thought I'd see my PowerBook play YouTube video without lag. I will try the other methods too and report those

What are the flaws of Roccat as a main browser though? I've been using it instead of TFF/Leopard WebKit and it's worked fine- really fast too.

11. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

On my 1.67 17" Powerbook, Roccat only does well for Youtube when it's not relinked to webkit - but then it's effectively as outdated as Safari 5 and doesn't work properly on some sites.

12. G5-PowerLifter, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

G5-PowerLifter macrumors member

G5-PowerLifter

I've also tried roccat. It works nicely on youtube, but as a browser I can't use it. It won't load many other websites for some reason. I don't understand why. And also I can't block ads on youtube, which could be bearable but I can't even skip very long ads on youtube like I could with a normal browser. That means I have to watch sometimes 3 minute long ads completely through which is pretty much unacceptable.

13. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

PPC Media works like a champ for me...

14. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

+1 for PPC Media . It runs great on my G4 and excellent on my G5.

15. Lastic macrumors 6502

Well, I stil haven't linked it to Webkit and Default User Agent shows Webkit 600.8.x which would equal Safari 8 in August 2015 from looking when this Leopard Webkit version was released.
    For me it loads theverge.com , udemy.com course videos, youtube and vimeo.com in 360p with almost no hassle or high cpu on "Better Battery Life'.

To each his own off course, just wanted to list it as a viable Youtube browser alternative.

16. runeapple macrumors 6502a

Apparently Tobias (founder of Leopard WebKit) have been working with Runecats to improve relinked Roccat massively or so Sarah Lee (a support agent from Runecats) tells me.

So I'm excited about 7.2, if YouTube flys when relinked I'll definitely donate to the Roccat project. Want to keep people supporting for PPC!

17. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

You can also go to File, Open URL on YouView and paste a yt url in. Works great!

18. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Doesn't work for me on Leopard. It says "Youview was unable to load the video, would you like to load the low quality version with Perian.org?", and if I click "yes" I get "Youview tried as much as possible and couldn't find the video" :(

19. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

You need an older version of YouView. Go to the PowerPC Archive and download both the Archives version and the mirror. One of those 2 will work.

20. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Yeah it works pretty well, but it won't let you watch some videos (for example VEVO ones). This is the one which works, it is version 0.5, the other link make you download a newer version. Immagine 1.png

21. Lastic macrumors 6502

Roccat 7.2 has been released,will relink it to the latest LWK and give it a spin once I arrived home

22. G5-PowerLifter macrumors member

G5-PowerLifter

I tried roccat 7.2 works a lot better than befor. It also loads more websites but still not all, it says somethung about "save connection interrupted". Mainly websites I used to downloads mp3s. And the ads in youtube videos still can't be skipped at all. But so far a massive improvement, I'm using webkit and roccat side by side. TenFourFox unfortunately not anymore because I find it so sluggisch, even on a dual 2 Ghz G5 system.

23. runeapple macrumors 6502a

It's working a lot better for me also, are you using it relinked on the latest Leopard WebKit? As I can skip YouTube videos?

24. G5-PowerLifter macrumors member

G5-PowerLifter

Well I gave WebKit installed, but I guess roccat is not linked to it, how can I do that? I guess I've missed something out :p

25. runeapple macrumors 6502a

If you've replaced your system WebKit it should be fine.

I generally Relink instead, when you download Leopard WebKit inside the DMG there is a relink app, simply drag Roccat onto it, it will then create a Roccat LWK.app that app will be then be relinked so when you open it.

Best to make sure you have latest Leopard WebKit as the latest version fixes various Roccat issues.