"Whiner" closing the loop - iPhone fixed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cubs08, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Cubs08 macrumors member

I was one of the voices here complaining about the iPhone 4 reception/dropped calls vs. iPhone 3G. We tried everything Apple suggested to no avail.

Went back to the Michigan Avenue store and they couldn't have been nicer. They swapped out the phone citing probable HW issues.

The new iPhone 4 works great. Don't know if that helps anyone, but at least it's another data point.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

glad you had your issue resolved...enjoy your new toy!!!! :)

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I went to my local Apple store. The genius asked a couple of questions, excused himself and returned with a new iPhone 4 in a sealed box just like my original. He activated it and I was finished in very short order. This one is excellent. I can use it without the ugly bumper the first one required. I've used all my prior iPhones without a case (except when carrying). Now I can enjoy the beautiful styling and the accent the silver antenna ads. The phone performance is stellar. Good voice clarity, holds the signal tenaciously in a known weak area, and I can hold it anyway I like. Amazing. Now I can return to my original plan of using it as my primary smartphone.

4. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Good for you.

I had did the same thing late last week but yet the fanboi's still say:

[​IMG]

My replacements phones(2 of them) have been absolutely stellar. Zero problems and excellent battery life.

I just wish Steve would come out and say they FUBAR'd a couple hundred thousand of them.

5. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

So is Apple quietly fixing the reception issue with new ones?

If a design issue, then a replacement phone should have no effect.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Ya gotta love it...some people just cannot be pleased...they whined and bitched out Apple when their iPhone didn't work right. calling it a "fatal design flaw". Then Apple takes care of the problem (and they whine because Steve did apologize to them...LOL
    Like the "fatally flawed 3GS yellow screen issue" and the 3G's before that, nobody will be talking bout this in a month or so...we'll be on to the next "fatal flaw"...LOL

7. Redcow macrumors newbie

That doesn't make sense.

They said it was a software issue.

8. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Send me your address I'll send you a set of knee pads, you need them. How I can find suckers to schlep for my business for nothing?

Apple has denied there is a problem but yet there obviously is one.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Yes...Apple became the most successful tech company in its field and top rated in customer service with record amounts of customers by finding suckers to schlep their crappy products on...
    YGBSM...LOL
    Let us know when you see the hundreds of thousands of "suckers" lining up to return their crappy phones...:rolleyes:

10. Iphone4Mac macrumors member

Can you please post the week it was made and the factory....

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

So because a few people, not a few hundred thousand people, had issues with their phones out of a couple million sold, you are saying the people and Apple saying there is not an issue are proven wrong?

To me Cubs and your situation prove Apple and those people were 100% correct.

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I made a reservation for the Apple store tomorrow night. Hopefully I can get a better phone.

13. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Well, not sure what a total count would be, but here's a quick 10k people who noted the bars issue, 15k if you count the top two categories. Oh and another 16k above that with screen issues.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/poll-is-your-iphone-4-retina-display-seeing-yellow-spots/

The sky may not be falling, but don't see the point in pretending the issues are non-existent.

14. agoat macrumors regular

What were the questions and what was your issues you told them about the phone? I heard they won't do an exchange if it reception issue.

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I believe they are. There's no other explanation for the very dramatic improvement. I never exaggerated how bad my first one was. Once I put a bumper on it, while slightly improved, even the strongest call had poor voice quality. The new one is like night and day. It's the best phone performance I've experienced. I am shocked at the difference. No matter how I hold it, their is no signal degradation. Simply amazing. As more of these are handed out, the word will spread rapidly. Frankly I called my best friend who got his iP4 the same day I got mine. He had the very same problem. I urged him to drop what he was doing and get down to exchange his while they have them in stock. Not ten minutes ago he called right from the Apple store to thank me for the tip. He too, is thrilled with his new phone. What a drastic improvement.

This experience reminds me of the time I took my PowerBook G4 Ti into the store. Just like today, I didn't even have to ask, the genius asked a couple of questions and volunteered to replace it. This is deja vu.

16. draz macrumors 6502a

Now you can't believe everything that comes out of Apple... no matter how obvious of a problem it may be.

17. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

What if you bought from AT&T, I assume you have to exchange at AT&T?

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

All this poll proves is that 16K people clicked on these buttons.

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Interesting, I still think it's based on signal at any particular time or what tower you are on.

I had a replacement sent directly from Apple and got one in store, no difference. This is pretty important if they have changed something. Would you be willing to do a video of you holding the left side of the phone for like 2 minutes?

I'm pretty sure that would be a good test, just a decent hold over the left seam.

Thanks.

My phone is pretty much problem free, but in a very low signal area I can make it drop bars, I just avoid holding it that way with crappy signal. Easy enough.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

AFAIK you only need to go to AT&T if you're returning the phone for refund or exchanging for a different phone. If it's a warranty type problem (like the OP) then go to the Apple store. AT&T will likely send you there anyway.

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Actually, it just proves there were 16k button clicks. I wouldn't be surprised if the # of clicks was much higher than the # of unique individuals.

22. zoman504 macrumors regular

This. My phone is similar; in poor reception areas it is awful, but in strong ones it is easily manageable as long as i dont touch the bottom really. That being said, if they are switching them out with newer ones, I want mine fixed.

23. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Prior to my visit, I reviewed the "leaked memo" that instructed the stores how to handle reception complaints. Then I wrote out a dialog to use which avoided those issues. Since my phone had all the faults, I had plenty of answers ready. They asked about the proximity behavior, then confirmed it. He saw the white spots in the display, asked for the date of purchase and if it had been dropped. He noticed it was perfect cosmetically, and the presence of all packaging right down to the twist tie on the wire. Then swiftly dissapeared without a word, returning with the new one.

As an aside, I don't know if it made a difference, but I've spent over $10K in that store so far this year. So the only point is I've spent some time there and they know me.

24. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I think the true test is to check your local Apple store in a month or so. If they update the phones in any way those display phones will certainly be updated as well. They don't want people going in the store trying to reproduce the problem and being successful at doing it.

Again I don't think they have changed anything and your signal is good right now. The antenna is the antenna, but hey if it's working better for you then that's great.

25. wovel macrumors 68000

I suggested to several people they may haVe defective phones and they should exchange them. Glad to see it is working out for all of you.

Just goes to show it pays to pursue proper support channels and not be blinded by the noise on the Internet.