Whisky

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Graeme43, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Hey!

I got a bottle of Whyte & Mackay 30 year old! They brought it round to my house for free as a christmas gesture :D best luck I've ever had in my life lol I've never got anything for free lol :D

Its RRP is £150 :eek: so do you think I should drink it? It works out as like 7.50 a dram lol (35ml) and everyones telling me to keep it as its too expensive to drink but its a one in life time to get a drink of something that classy :apple:

[​IMG]

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I would definitely drink it, but save it for a special occasion where others can partake with you.

In the grand scheme of things, you got it for free, so don't just look at it...

3. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

yeah everyones saying keep it its worth a lot

I say drink it because its the only time in my life I will get to drink something this good! its even older than me lol im 21 its 30

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Who cares how much it is worth ...

They ONLY way to enjoy a Scotch is to savor it, not stare at the full, sealed bottle.

5. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

This one got voted best blended whisky in the world last year :D its gonna be soo good but I think I have to get one of those funny glasses first to drink it? I don't know if it would work in a normal small spirit glass.. It was this guy that I spoke to on the phone :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzwKrkl_8-Y

6. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Drink it. With friends. Not in one go, of course. But definitely enjoy it in a glass and not in a bottle on a mantlepiece.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

White & McKay is one of the best blended whiskies you can have. I remember reading about the 30yr a few months ago too. Congrats!

I have a rare special bottling bottle of Balvenie, but that I'm saving for a special occasion. The bottom line is, how special is it to you? For me, none of my friends drink scotch or if they do would appreciate its value, so it's all on me. Therefore, I'm saving it for something that really means a lot to me.

...or, save it for like ten years and resell it for several times the current retail price.

8. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Personally, I recommend breaking it out for only an extra-special celebration. The birth of a first child, the closing of escrow on your first house, your IPO, etc. Get a half dozen high quality glass whisky glasses, and a package of Whisky Stones so you don't dilute that golden nectar of the gods. Drink it neat with the stones.

9. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Wow!!! Drink it for a nice occasion definitely! Don't make it a decoration (do so after its gone :))

10. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Hell yeah drink it.

Like others said, for special occasions.

Or just mix it with Coke at the next frat party :) ;)

-t

11. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I was thinking of opening it later on for a half or 2 :D I mean it wont 2 awards of best blended whisky in the world.. soo I have to know what something that good would taste like.. i bet its a huge difference from standard stuff

12. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

'18 Year Old Macallan' is the one for me, made in very old Sherry barrels that was shipped from Portugal (or Spain) to Scotland many years ago.
    Very smooth

[​IMG]

13. Graeme43, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I've been to north scotland and seen the balvenie distillery and stayed overnight with my friends dad up there lol on the actual work grounds :D it was so much fun and i got a 15 and 18 year old glenfiddich all in for 45 quid

ive seen macallan at teh shops never bothered to try it might give it a shot next. i been buying whyte mackay 13 year old since its only 15 quid and tastes older than it is

do u drink it out one of those curved glasses like a wine glass but thinner or do u have it out one of those glasses u get in a pub

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I got a bottle of this for Christmas. :D

Page 84 of this book gives some tips on how to drink whisk(e)y.

15. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I'm having a wee 13 year Whyte & Mackay right now :D its still on sale for £14.99! Thats 13yo for price of 1L (its on sale for 14.99 as well):D

16. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

OP save it, just drink the younger year stuff that is cheaper to replace ;)

Personally as far as Scotch goes I have not found one that doesn't taste of some kind of pear, which is annoying as I dislike pear very much lol :(

I am however a big Jack Daniel's drinker, got two 70cl bottles and one of those Gentleman Jack's for christmas :D

Oh and best way to drink any whisky is in a tumbler (which come in many different shapes ;)), neat and with a cigar (Cuban preferred :D).

I have a Montana Cuvee Whisky Tumbler if it is of any help :)

17. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

they sell special, 13, 19, 22, and 30... the 19 and 22 cost less to replace but I can't find them here :rolleyes: I sent them a tweet and they said i wouldnt have to look for a while and then gave me 30 year :D so I owe it to them to drink it :cool:

The good thing about Whyte & Mackay as its always got a little more work into it than the rest... such as normally 12 - they do 13, normally 18- they do 19 etc

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I envy you OP. Drink it and watch the sun set from your garden.

19. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I'll be sure to enjoy it :D havin a few 13yr the now, if u were in scotland u could come an hav a dram o 30 :D lol share

[​IMG]

20. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Can you overnight a shot to me? Please? Pretty please? Like, pretty please with a heap of peat and oak on top? Maybe a whiff of apples and toffee?

22. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

lol wish I could

I enjoyed a couple yesterday and today :D plus plenty of beer but the whisky is the best :D

if W&M produced a beer it would probably be the best lol :p none of that carlsberg crap :rolleyes:

They also found out about this thread lol :cool:

It is a good thing to share something this special! My dad n that all drink W&M and I'm gonna take him a few.. he talked about filling a hip flask of it lol! thats a bit extreme considering the age and value of the stuff :p

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

So, did you mix it with some Coke? That stuff is nasty unless it's mixed with something.

:D

24. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Trust me a 30 year old should not be mixed with anything!

They say to put a splash of water in the younger ones but I'm not sure if I should try that or not. Water kind of makes it weaker in strength of the flavours

25. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC