Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Fudzilla claims that they've been hearing whispers that iMac and Mac mini updates could be coming as soon as November 10th.
Interesting. I doubt the Mac mini will get the NVIDIA chipset, but I can see it getting the same chipset as the current iMac (1067 MHz FSB).

So the big question to me is whether the Macbook signals the death of Firewire across Apple's low end computers.
I see the 20" iMac as the low-end desktop (equivalent of MacBook) and the 24" iMac as the desktop "equivalent" of the MacBook Pro.

I wonder if Apple's quest to keep the iMac super thin is preventing them from putting in Quad Core CPUs?
Technically, not for the 24" model, as it can hold a 3.07 GHz 55 W dual-core. But if Apple wants quad-cores to have the same or higher GHz as dual-cores (like with the Mac Pro), then we may not see quad-core iMacs for some time.

I've seen several people posit that the new iMacs will adopt the same 9400/9600 gpus that the new MB/MBPs use...in that case, count me in to the refurb blitz. Unless the 9800 is at least an OPTION, there will be no new iMac for me.
20": 9400, 24": 9600, 9800 BTO are my guesses.

You'll see them 2-6 months after The gainestown (DP server) variant of Nehalem is released.
Which puts the Nehalem Mac Pro at or not far before WWDC 2009… hmmm.

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
I meant Midi, something in between a Mini and Pro.

At the moment I am still waiting... thought of a Dell, thought of a refurb, but if they bring out a Midi or a new Mini then I would be in line at the :apple: store. And November 11??? That is only a week and a bit away. If that is the case, all I can say is "WOO-HOO!!!!" :D

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
Weird...

This is normal http://store.apple.com/us but the UK store is down.

I expect they're putting all the prices up because of the pound has fallen so much against the dollar....

Or perhaps being Brits they've all gone out side for a fag.

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
as far as the monday release day, i think apple is getting away from the fantastic tuesday releases. we have seen several recent software updates released on friday's and even weekends. if they do release updated imacs and minis, they will probably be cpu/gpu updates and nothing new in the way of design.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
hello guys,
Well since the rumors of a new MacMini (possibly with Display Port) will come soon and lets hope this time Apple will continue updating it. Unlike the current MacMini
So, to me, the only reason I can think that Apple will give for not updating the MacMini is because they are redesigning it.

Here is how I think a new MacMini will be able to sell to a lot more people.

Make the MacMini smaller and thinner then the current MacMini so that people can carry it from point A to point B without much hassle (not to replace notebooks)

Make the MacMini design maybe something like a huge Apple Power Adapter so you can wrap around the cable at the back of the Mini. Able to store 1TB or higher for storage (HDD Swappable), upgradeable RAM, integrated GPU is fine (as seen on the MacBook)

So why with all of these? Well cause, I think this will be ideal for photographers or any other users who took a lot of photos or big documents and don't want to store it on their external hard disk. Besides if they own Aperture which allows a copy to be installed on the notebook and a desktop, I see this as a bonus.

Nonetheless, because the MacMini will be much more portable, easier to plug in, a user can easily connect the MacMini to a TV or Monitor or even bring it to their cousin house which uses a PC, plug in their MacMini and can enjoy the OS that they are used using.

Take note that is more for on-the-go purpose rather then having your own working station, if you want your own working station then the iMac is the only way. Also there must be some kind of feature in OSX that is able to synchronize all your pictures and documents (user config) to the Mini so a user is able to sync his/her picture collections or some documents and maybe set the Mini as his/her data backup computer

Its a bit long, sorry if I can't summarize it. Too many things to tell

NyMetsFan08

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
All Apple Stores Are Shut Down Mostly International

Most of the apple stores are down USA Next????

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
Considering the Dell XPS One just got updated with 24", Quad Core and 4GB of RAM, I hope Apple bumps the specs on the iMacs to compete.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_one?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

-Kevin

Personally, I'd take a 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6MB of L2 cache over a 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Quad with only 4MB of L2 cache anyday. In addition, the Dell XPS One has slower graphics. iMac's NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS trumps Dell's NVIDIA GeForce 9600. Just my thoughts... :)

macthetiger85

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
hello guys,
Well since the rumors of a new MacMini (possibly with Display Port) will come soon and lets hope this time Apple will continue updating it. Unlike the current MacMini
So, to me, the only reason I can think that Apple will give for not updating the MacMini is because they are redesigning it.

Here is how I think a new MacMini will be able to sell to a lot more people.

Make the MacMini smaller and thinner then the current MacMini so that people can carry it from point A to point B without much hassle (not to replace notebooks)

Make the MacMini design maybe something like a huge Apple Power Adapter so you can wrap around the cable at the back of the Mini. Able to store 1TB or higher for storage (HDD Swappable), upgradeable RAM, integrated GPU is fine (as seen on the MacBook)

So why with all of these? Well cause, I think this will be ideal for photographers or any other users who took a lot of photos or big documents and don't want to store it on their external hard disk. Besides if they own Aperture which allows a copy to be installed on the notebook and a desktop, I see this as a bonus.

Nonetheless, because the MacMini will be much more portable, easier to plug in, a user can easily connect the MacMini to a TV or Monitor or even bring it to their cousin house which uses a PC, plug in their MacMini and can enjoy the OS that they are used using.

Take note that is more for on-the-go purpose rather then having your own working station, if you want your own working station then the iMac is the only way. Also there must be some kind of feature in OSX that is able to synchronize all your pictures and documents (user config) to the Mini so a user is able to sync his/her picture collections or some documents and maybe set the Mini as his/her data backup computer

Its a bit long, sorry if I can't summarize it. Too many things to tell

Will not happen: Apple wants these people to get a macbook pro.

The mini is meant as an entry level computer for switchers or low budget families who want the security of an apple machine (mac) running Mac OS)

Here is my specific prediction for the Mac Mini:

In box
Mac mini
Power cord
Install/restore DVDs
Printed and electronic documentation

Processor & Memory
2.0GHz or 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
1066MHz frontside bus (maybe 2.2GHz instead of 2.4)
2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB (yea - 2GB)

Peripherals
Four USB 2.0 ports

Graphics & Video
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
Mini DisplayPort
Video output options:
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Communication
Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Audio
Built-in Speaker (for startup chime only)
Combined optical digital input/analog line in (minijack)
Combined optical digital output/analog line out (minijack)
Supports Apple Stereo Headset with microphone

Storage
160GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive
Optional 250GB or 320GB 5400-rpm hard drive
8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, and DVD+RW; 24x CD

Software
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Xcode Developer Tools)
iLife ’08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, iWork (30-day trial), and Apple Hardware Test
Front Row

We'll see you after it happens - I'm pretty sure I'm dead on - not to forget the environmental checklist of course.

The iMacs will be comparable to 3 models - "Best Macbook" (20") Good 15" (entry 24") Better 15" (best 24") upgradeable to 17" specs all except no dual graphics card (no need to save energy on a desktop) and the processors and storage will be higher since it's desktop parts - expect one firewire 800 on each iMac.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Apple site is down just now :D maybe new Mini time !!

:( edit > just checked and the front page still has the old `Mini .

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Will not happen: Apple wants these people to get a macbook pro.

The mini is meant as an entry level computer for switchers or low budget families who want the security of an apple machine (mac) running Mac OS)

Here is my specific prediction for the Mac Mini:

In box
Mac mini
Power cord
Install/restore DVDs
Printed and electronic documentation

Processor & Memory
2.0GHz or 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
1066MHz frontside bus
2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

Peripherals
Four USB 2.0 ports

Graphics & Video
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
Mini DisplayPort
Video output options:
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Communication
Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Audio
Built-in Speaker (for startup chime only)
Combined optical digital input/analog line in (minijack)
Combined optical digital output/analog line out (minijack)
Supports Apple Stereo Headset with microphone

Storage
160GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive
Optional 250GB or 320GB 5400-rpm hard drive or 128GB solid-state drive
8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, and DVD+RW; 24x CD

Software
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Xcode Developer Tools)
iLife ’08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, iWork (30-day trial), and Apple Hardware Test
Front Row

We'll see you after it happens - I'm pretty sure I'm dead on - not to forget the environmental checklist of course.

The iMacs will be comparable to 3 models - "Best Macbook" (20") Good 15" (entry 24") Better 15" (best 24") upgradeable to 17" specs all except no dual graphics card (no need to save energy on a desktop) and the processors and storage will be higher since it's desktop parts - expect one firewire 800 on each iMac.

Definitely won't be that good. They're not going to use the new gpu. At best, they'll use the previous macbook's gpu. The HD will start at 120gb and the ram will start at 1 gb. And it probably won't even be offered at 2.4 ghz. It'll start at 2.0 and the better version will be either 2.1 or 2.2. So there will be almost no change from the current specs. The only notable changes will be the case design and the displayport. It will retain the specs of a netbook.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Definitely won't be that good. They're not going to use the new gpu. At best, they'll use the previous macbook's gpu. The HD will start at 120gb and the ram will start at 1 gb. And it probably won't even be offered at 2.4 ghz. It'll start at 2.0 and the better version will be either 2.1 or 2.2. So there will be almost no change from the current specs. The only notable changes will be the case design and the displayport. It will retain the specs of a netbook.

I more or less agree with you. I bet 2.0 or 2.2 but I think they'll go with the nVidia Graphics to be consistent across all their new computers (except for the old White MacBook). They'll keep things to a minimum (1 Gig RAM, 80 Gig HD) to start to keep the $599 entry price. Need to with the new graphics chipset.

highjumppudding

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
ummm... of course there are going to be imac and mini updates in november. apple would be idiots not to. i used to work for apple and this is the perfect time to release these updates. seriously people, come on. it'll happen. the sooner, the better. i remember the holiday seasons there at apple. it will happen in the first week or two of november. NO LATER. expect it.

dempson

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Wellington, New Zealand
The current mini doesn't have 802.11n? That's insane! These things are more out of date than I thought.

Yes indeed. The current Mac Mini (which I have as a secondary computer) was released in August 2007, but the architecture is the same as the MacBook which was released in November 2006 (first Core 2 Duo model). Two years is a very long time in computer years.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
:( what about the Mac Pros?

the minis are going to receive a huge processor upgrade. 8core mac mini...but in order to differentiate it from the macPro, the macmini will not come with firewire ports

:)

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Personally, I'd take a 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6MB of L2 cache over a 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Quad with only 4MB of L2 cache anyday. In addition, the Dell XPS One has slower graphics. iMac's NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS trumps Dell's NVIDIA GeForce 9600. Just my thoughts... :)

As would Im but I'd also like things like an SD card reader, easy access USB and headphone ports on the side, better speakers, an integrated TV tuner. They would save me a lot of hassle and external devices.

gRF

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Guys, call me crazy, but I have a gut feeling that iMac will be dropped out, not the Mini :)

I still don't think that rumored "brick" has to do anything with the unibody casing.

I believe that the "brick" is actually new Mini.

The new LED screen provides the power and expansion slots for your MacBook(Pro) or MacMini (?!). And it seems to me that new 24" LED screen is tad bit higher then old 23" screen.
Imagine "brick-Mini", coupled with the new LED 24" screen, sitting just under the screen - there you have your iMac, too :)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Guys, call me crazy, but I have a gut feeling that iMac will be dropped out, not the Mini
Yup, you are crazy and maybe living in a delusional world. the iMac has been in Apple lineup for A VERY VERY long time (just change of name, but still as AIO), in fact, its the best AIO out there and only now after years and years only begin companies like HP and Dell start taking AIO seriously.

The iMac will never be dropped any time soon and I can guarantee you 100% on that.

good specs macthetiger85, but what I meant is yeah, he want you to own a MBP but the MacMini will be like your computer backup which is portable enough to be hug around, as powerful as a MacBook. It won't have its own battery, it need a power supply, so I guess then if you want a portable computer you will still need a notebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.