White 3GS cracked!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nipz, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Noticed today that my new iPhone has a crack in a weird place just by the headphone jack. Havent dropped it or done anything to case it pain! :(

[​IMG]

Not impressed :(

2. ACubed macrumors member

yikes, i'm gonna get black now....that's hideous. sorry man

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Blacks crack too, but its harder to see.

4. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

That sucks. I have checked my white 3GS for these problems and nothing.

I would return it for sure,

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

I'd be thrilled. Since they'll replace the phone for that well-known defect, I'd stop being so careful about scratching my phone/screen and then once it got scratched up to the point of being annoying or noticeable, I'd take it in and get it replaced. And since the build quality is so poor, the replacement will likely have issues too, so I'd get that one replaced after a couple of months as well. Ad nauseum.

I went through eight 3G's last year, mostly for hardware defects. But yeah, eight iPhones, meaning Apple kept me supplied with shiny new iPhones all year long. If enough people keep doing this, eventually they'll get the point and give us an iPhone that is slightly more durable. ;)

6. samcraig macrumors P6

your post truly gives me a headache

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Same here.

8. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Thanks guys.

I got the phone on 02 Pay and Go (yes paying £440.40 for it was steep) so want it to be perfect!!!

I will drop into my 02 shop and see what they say, but when my brothers silent switch fell off they said he had to sort it out with Apple.

If i have to go to an Apple store its an hour away which is a pain in the backside!!

9. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

You know what gives me a headache? Signing a two year contract AND paying $300+ for a phone that's put together about as well as my son's Happy Meal toys. 

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

My white iPhone 3G has shown no cracks. I use it naked.
    It is defective though; I've pointed out before that my Sleep/Wake button is recessed too much, so it's pretty difficult to press it in. It wasn't like this when I purchased it however. And because it is so recessed, I have to have a firmer grip on the phone to press it down. And when I grasp it at its sides firmly by the bezel, I'll hear a slight crackling sound as if the plastic isn't sturdy enough.

12. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I 100% agree with you and have done much the same thing. I had four iPhone 3G's. I'm about to receive my second iPhone 3GS on Monday for cracks. Apple needs to build a better product and this is the best way to give them the message.

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea it's not our fault signing away 2 years to AT&T and paying $300 for a half-assed device. Actions speak louder than words, and I'm sure Apple will get the picture soon if they haven't already and do something about all of this.

14. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Lovely. If you're naked then where to you put it when you are not using it.

On second thoughts I don't want to know. Is it still white?

15. BMac702 macrumors regular

I feel the same way. I kept getting hardware defect after defect. I went through 10 though:D which sucked because i only had 1 replacement for the 2G

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

This sounds weird out of context.

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You know, AFAIC Apple pulled a very clever bait-and-switch with the iPhone. When the original iPhone was launched, it was very expensive and very well-made. Gorgeous + expensive = luxury item, right? So everybody oohs and ahs and gushes about what an amazing phone it is (both in terms of design/hardware and usability) but since its availability is limited (five countries?) and it's so expensive, sales are somewhat limited. 

A year later Apple introduces the 3G. It is launched worldwide on the same day, at a substantially reduced price (thanks to subsidies). Unfortunately it's also put together much more cheaply (the screen and LCD are no longer glued together - cheaper to replace, that way - which allows copious amounts of dust to enter the display, the casing is made of cheap, glossy, crack-prone plastic, etc) but since the iPhone's reputation has already been established, it sells in record-breaking numbers. Same with the 3GS. 

First impressions, as they say, last a lifetime. 

Apple was smart to launch the original iPhone the way they did - limited availability, (prohibitively) expensive, well-made, beautifully designed - and from a money-making perspective even smarter to make the 3G and 3GS so cheap (build quality wise) in comparison. It just kind of sucks for all of us.

18. 2010RS macrumors 6502

You should look up the definition of bait-and-switch, because the situation you are describing is in no way even close to being considered bait-and-switch.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Thanks, but although I'm not referring to the price of the item (rather, the build quality) I'm confident that you can understand what I'm saying when that phrase is taken in context.

20. daflake macrumors 6502a

Not sure why the huge gripe, we all know that the 3G is the same as the 3GS so it will be prone to cracking as well. That being said, Apple swapped mine with no questions so there really is no reason to gripe.

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Agreed. It's a ticket for a free replacement; no complaints here! I get a shiny new iPhone every couple of months, which is fine by me!

22. Stunod7 macrumors member

Stunod7

Here here! that's looking at the upside to a situation!

23. iLoveiPhone3GS macrumors member

Be aware, I was at my local apple store yesterday (getting my 3GS replaced for cracking issue as well) and the genius said that in a few months, Apple may not be replacing iphones that only have the cracking issue. she didnt give any reasons, but thats what she said.

Also, i was given the option to switch colors at the time of replacement, anyone else? (i think she was feelin ya boy lol)

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Thats the downside of using plastic. I would much rather want Aluminum like the 1st Gen.

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I imagine they would rather people have the black one, because cracks are much less obvious, as is discoloration caused by defective batteries ... ;)