Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
I've been seeing a lot of people saying having a white front of your iPhone is going to be better than having a black front (white and gold -vs- space gray) with iOS 7 due to all the whites

I have a question for these people: If white truly IS going to be a better front, why does the iPhone 5c (the phone Apple intends to sell more of) have only black fronts?

Discuss below.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
The things apple does don't always make sense. It could be they are black cause they want you to shell out the extra money to get a 5s. They aren't exactly known for giving you the perfect options regardless what you choose.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Always liked black better. As for iOS 7 being white, that's just the stock apps. Who knows what each app developers will do with their apps. I'm hoping there isn't a trend to suddenly make every app white, because too much white really is hard on the eyes. And when watching videos or pictures, I much prefer black. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw 5C had black front, though who knows why Apple does anything.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
This is a very funny topic. I remember when white first became available for iPhones, the big question was "Is a white iPhone manly enough for a guy to get, or will people talk?"

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
This is a very funny topic. I remember when white first became available for iPhones, the big question was "Is a white iPhone manly enough for a guy to get, or will people talk?"

Nothing in this thread has been funny.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
The white front is probably not matching the color tone of the display.

Also, the front reflects ambient light, which can be of different color depending on where you are. The display is an active light source that will always stand out against the fronts' white.

Black does not have this problem, so I probably go with black.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I don't think one is necessarily better than another it's a preference thing. The only thing I don't like about the white is at the end of the glass front there is a very thin white border that can get dirty easy I didn't notice it till I saw my girlfriend's iphone. As far as iOS maybe the icons match the white a little better but I have a dark wallpaper so it's not a problem for me.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I don't think its necessarily better but just a personal preference. I've had both white and black iPhones and I like both. I'm not too keen on the black/ space grey option of the 5S so I most likely will go with the white/silver combination. As for third party apps I have a feeling they may all change. Some of my apps have already been updated in preparation for iOS 7 and I'm sure they have changed to a white background and weren't like that before. I know the Chrome app has definitely changed to a white background.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I've always gone with black on my iPhone and iPad because I can't stand the thin black "frame" between the white front and the LCD display.

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
I've been seeing a lot of people saying having a white front of your iPhone is going to be better than having a black front (white and gold -vs- space gray) with iOS 7 due to all the whites

I have a question for these people: If white truly IS going to be a better front, why does the iPhone 5c (the phone Apple intends to sell more of) have only black fronts?

Discuss below.

Because of color matching. It's better to have a black front since it matches the different colored shells better. A white front on colored shells other than white is just wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.