Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
My wife gets a white front and I get the black front.

Of course Wife gets to choose between silver, gold, rose gold and I only get to choose Space Grey, matte black or Jet Black.

Jet black for mean and rose gold for my wife this year.
[doublepost=1477146731][/doublepost]
I want a Rose Gold front, and yes I'm a dude.

Why do people still call it Rose Gold? It looks more pink than Rose Gold.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Why do people still call it Rose Gold? It looks more pink than Rose Gold.
Rose Gold is pink. Guessing you've never personally bought rose gold jewelry? Iirc, it's an alloy of gold and copper to give it a pinkish hue. Could also be more reddish if you use more copper.

fraile

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2016
  1. There is a small inactive part of the screen between the display and the bezel even when it's on, so you always have this thin black edge between a lit screen and a white bezel that's far more noticeable (see pic). It drives me crazy.

View attachment 667167

And I thought I was going crazy noticing this on my previous white phones... never switching from black again.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Black, that's the "infinity" look, like infinity pools, a sheet of smooth surface that drops off.....

but why did I get a white SE this time, because it was forced on me, I want the gold band. When it cracks/chips, I will go to ifixit and and buy me a black bezel to replace.

Your taste may vary. Cultivate you own.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
I already thought about simply replacing my silver iPhone's white display assembly with a black one to get that nice MacBook look, but that means I'd lose my TouchID functionality. Not really worth it, I guess.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I always get the white face, a black iPhone is just too depressing looking and I think doesn't look as classy as white. My last iPhone had the gold back, mainly because that was the first iPhone the "Strictly Mac" store received for sale with a white face. My 7+ is silver, which I actually prefer.

To be honest, the color of the back doesn't bother me all that much as I always have it in a case, so actually the color of the back is simply the color of the case. Right now I have my 7+ in an Apple leather case so it's back is currently brown.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I always have my ios devices naked and am slightly concerned about scratches 2/3years after use. So I always choose white. I assume it hides the scratches better than a black.

Reactions: Breaking Good

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Apart from the iPhone 4 I have always bought the white/silver variant, other than last year when I went for white/gold.
I've just bought an Xperia XZ in forest blue though...

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I've gone white for the past few phones for a reason I haven't seen here yet. Electronics don't like heat and black seems to attract it. Since I use the phone outside as well as in my car, i feel better with the white.

Reactions: Breaking Good

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Black for me.
White has a terrible contrast when watching movies or videos and has this black border around the display.

IMG_1878.JPG

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
There's always one person stuck in the 1800's.

Note the winking emoji. He's making a joke about the fact that statistically men buy black phones in larger numbers than they buy other colours. He's not saying if you're a woman you must buy a white phone, or if you're a man you can't buy a rose gold phone.

you might need to go to the 1800's to find someone with as much disregard for statistics as you

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
After having a black 5S, I wanted to get something different and I had a gold 6 and got tired of it. Black makes the bezel seem smaller and it blends in when watching movies.

Reactions: janeauburn

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I'm not a female so chose black. ;)
Sexist rubbish comment.
[doublepost=1477267804][/doublepost]
I don't know if its just me or not, but I felt like I always saw a black border around the screen with the white front. With the black, that border just blends in better.
Yes, I'd love Apple to reduce the gaps on the white front so much so that it just blends in with the screen. I wonder if that's possible and likely to occur in future models. It has been getting slightly better since #4.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Sexist rubbish comment.
[doublepost=1477267804][/doublepost]
Yes, I'd love Apple to reduce the gaps on the white front so much so that it just blends in with the screen. I wonder if that's possible and likely to occur in future models. It has been getting slightly better since #4.

Are statistically accurate jokes about ones own conformity sexist?

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Black 3g, black 4, white 5s ( i hate it about a month in), black 6+, black 7+. Also typically females go for white faced phones.

Cant wait for dark mode to come out
"Also typically females go for white" - that's unsupported by any evidence.
[doublepost=1477268041][/doublepost]
Are statistically accurate jokes about ones own conformity sexist?
Where are the statistics on this? A "MacRumors" poll? Don't even post it, it will be biased.
[doublepost=1477268232][/doublepost]
I'm pretty sure the person who said the color choice and their gender was being sarcastic. If you've been around long enough on this site, it always happens in threads like this.
Yes, it might have been sarcastic, but it's also sexist and perpetuates stereotypes. It would have been better for the commenter to give reasons on why they actually chose black, exactly what it was about the design they appreciated.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
"Also typically females go for white" - that's unsupported by any evidence.
[doublepost=1477268041][/doublepost]
Where are the statistics on this? A "MacRumors" poll? Don't even post it, it will be biased.

So a poll you haven't even looked at is already judged as biased.. it's ironic you were calling out 'prejudice'

There are countless studies on gender colour preferences and in particular polling on iPhone colour preferences. Google 'iPhone color gender' and you'll quickly find one example by CIRP.

I wonder do you think both genders choose all colours exactly equally!? If not which is the majority male colour we should be making jokes about... typical sjw

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
This is always something I feel is going to be a hard choice for me every year, and then it's not. I like both the white and black screens, and both have benefits and disadvantages.

IMHO:

The black screen blends videos and some apps better, as well as "looking the part" for a stealth-y style. I even find that the earpiece, camera, and sensor is more inconspicuous on black screen iPhones. But at the same time, the black screen tends to smudge more, show more marks, and get generally greasy/dirty easier.

The white screen iPhone plays well with most of Apple's built in apps (email, messages, maps, etc.), looks better with most cases, hides smudges better, and generally "pops" more (much more vibrant). A problem is that video and media are much less blended. Earpiece and cameras also show much more obviously with a white front.

I'm THAT type of iPhone owner who usually goes with the most recent color, which is why the front screen color has almost never been a "make or break" with me.

iPhone (original): black screen/sliver back (only option)
iPhone 3G: black screen/black back
iPhone 4: black screen/black back
iPhone 4: white sceeen/white back
iPhone 4S: black screen/black back
iPhone 5s: white screen/gold back (favorite design ever)
iPhone 6: white screen/gold back
iPhone 6s: white screen/rose gold back
iPhone 7: black screen/jet black

I skipped the white backed 3G because it thought it would clash with the black screen.

I got a my first iPhone 4 in black because (we all remember this debacle) the white iPhone 4 wasn't released until April 2011. I got my second iPhone 4 once it was finally released in white, months later. I wanted the white one from the beginning because it was SO different to my 12 year old self.

I then got my iPhone 4S in any configuration that was available launch day, which happened to be a 16GB black model (had to get my hands on Siri).

I had to get my iPhone 5s in Gold. It was so "new" and "different". I feel that this was the best iPhone design ever. It's so precise and straight up gorgeous. It felt like a jewl when I held it.

I kept the Gold with my iPhone 6 because silver was too basic for my taste, and the Space Grey never did anything for me. It just felt like another shade of silver, with a black screen.

I got my iPhone 6s in Rose Gold because it was the "new" color.

When the 7 came out, I was already preparing to get it in Rose Gold again, but then I saw the jet black-- and I was dead set on it. Jet Black would be my next color. Both types of black were so damn good looking. I just finally got it this week after I preordered it on 9/9. This is my second or third favorite designs. It resolves all the problems I had with the 6/6s design (revised [on the Jet Black practically invisible] antenna lines), less clunky looking camera bulge, water resistant, etc.

I will admit I lean toward the white screen phones ever since the 4, but the 7 swung me back.

Reactions: janeauburn

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
So a poll you haven't even looked at is already judged as biased.. it's ironic you were calling out 'prejudice'

There are countless studies on gender colour preferences and in particular polling on iPhone colour preferences. Google 'iPhone color gender' and you'll quickly find one example by CIRP.

I wonder do you think both genders choose all colours exactly equally!? If not which is the majority male colour we should be making jokes about... typical sjw
Um, white or black, male or female, completely inconclusive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.