Who doesn't have the signal problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dakk, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Dakk macrumors newbie

Have both models and can't get the signal to drop at all. Also as to curious where you ordered from? Got mine from AT&T and it was not an early arriver.

2. Jonmurgie macrumors member

Also have both models and NO signal issues with either :)

Am in the UK and got the 16gb delivered by Apple yesterday morning, then collected the 32gb from Apple store yesterday afternoon.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I've got a 16GB delivered by O2 in the UK yesterday morning and have zero reception problems whatsoever.

I've tried the phone extensively at home, work and around town, covering the entire left side of the frame with my hand for up to a minute and there is no decrease in bars.

I certainly haven't experienced any degradation in signal quality when on a call, and have had no call drops either.

In other words, it is a non-issue. Just typical launch day hysteria surrounding a new Apple product. For some reason, it seems to be popular to hate something that becomes popular these days.

4. FrazzledRazz macrumors newbie

We got two new 32gb i4's yesterday and have none of the reception issues others are reporting. The phones have been phenomenal so far!!!

5. Subliminal28 macrumors newbie

You guys must have incredibly dry hands or just live in an incredible service area...

6. antdawe macrumors regular

Nope sorry mate.

Even when Ive got two bars due to poor coverage it still wont drop.

7. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Place the phones left corner into your palm, wrap your palm around the phone. Make sure your SKIN is touching the black break in the antenna on that left side. Count to 20, slowly.

That seems to replicate the issue for more. I myself have no signal issues either. Just saying.

8. Dakk thread starter macrumors newbie

I've held the phone for 20+ minutes like that. I've even wet my hands (read that on a blog) and tried. No issues.

I'm thinking this is a manufacturing issue. Wonder if we can find anything out from the serials.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I ordered online from Apple, having no issues.

10. 0101001 macrumors 6502

11. Dakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Anything in common with your serials?

12. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

one thing you guys should note is the way you hold the phone.

bridge a connection with your palm across the bottom left seam (effectively connecting both of the metal outer case).

then come back and say its a non issue and i will be happy!

13. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    complete loss of signal

I have the 16GB iP4 and holding it normally, in my left hand with the base of my thumb bridging the gap on the lower left side of the phone, I go from 5 bars to 1 and occasionally then lose all service. I've also had issues with bluetooth reception - with people telling me I'm either very hard to hear or that there is a lot of static (using the same jawbone I used successfully with my 3G).

Tried the wide rubber band trick and sure enough, it fixes most of the problems. I'll go pick up a bumper today and see if I can get it free - I already have a complaint in with Apple and free bumpers was suggested to me as a possible fix by a senior iphone advisor.

14. Dakk thread starter macrumors newbie

I can wrap my whole hand around the phone and it wont drop.

15. army91c macrumors 6502a

So you're part of that something for nothing crowd huh. :rolleyes:

+1

16. Galacticus macrumors member

I can tightly grip with my left hand and I only go down to 3 bars, I sustained it for 2 minutes with no further signal loss.

17. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Wait I think you're all doing it wrong. You should place the iPhone in your hand, stand on one leg, spin around ANTI-CLOCKWISE 3 times and then shout 'Heil Hitler' in the best german accent possible.

If you lose 1 bar your phone is defective.
    This was sent to me in an e-mail from Steve Jobs...honest.

In all seriousness, telling someone how to lose bars is pathetic. These guys have just said they're getting no issues with signal loss or dramatic signal loss.
    I for one am not getting dramatic signal loss due to hand placement.
    I wouldn't say I haven't lost a single bar while holding the phone but I'd count that down to general signal loss due to attenuation, wind speed, wall thickness, the amount of women in the room etc.

18. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

All iPhone 4s have the "problem"... It's just a matter of whether or not you live in an area where the signal is susceptible to attenuation.

19. Dakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh... no? I've tried in different environments including the subway and in the middle of a concrete building.

20. BrEEdAA macrumors member

BrEEdAA

All good here in Glasgow, apple supplied 16gb

Ive got a bumper anyways, but tried it out last night

21. SexyBeast macrumors regular

If I force the issue, I can replicate the problem, but my normal way of holding the phone and normal use doesn't reduce the signal. I'm left handed and I'm sure that while holding the phone my skin touches that area. Phone works great so far and no dropped calls. I think you'll find that while a lot of people can forcibly replicate the issue, most people have not had any dropped calls due to that. Just people making an issue out of nothing because they want something to complain about.

22. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Pre-ordered from AT&T retail and shipped to my house, my 16gb has been serving me well. No dropped calls and I'm laying in bed, holding it landscape and still getting 4-5 bars.

23. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

I have even tried the placing a key trick across the antennas and can't get mine to lose more than 1 bar, no matter what signal area I am in

24. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Okay, great. I've tried mine in different environments too. About 6 distinctly different places and could not replicate the issue no matter how hard I tried. I heard from a friend that he was having the problem at his house so I headed over there and sure enough, I could get it to happen.

Read some of the countless other threads on this forum. It's been established that it's a design flaw with the iPhone 4. In fact, read the front page. Steve Jobs admitted that it was a design flaw. Anyone who hasn't experienced it just lives in a good area. Good for you. I live in a good area too since 95% of the places I go aren't susceptible to the problem. I'm not going to let it bother me, but I acknowledge that it's a flaw in the design of the device.

Also see: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ba...-help-users-with-iphone-4-reception-problems/

25. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I didn't think mine was impacted but after testing it wherever I was all day, I finally found some spots where it diminished the signal but I never lost if completely. PLAY MORE WORRY LESS.