Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I really love the feature, but am now realizing that I have to remember to turn off my availability before every meeting. Does silent mode alone silence the chirp and the person speaking?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, the manual do not disturb is going to be a real PITA. I bet either a point update and at the very latest watchOS 6 will fix this. All they really need to do is add the ability to schedule availability for it, and at most some sort of geofence capability so it doesn't go off when I'm at work. Another good solution would be to automatically silence it when I have a calendar meeting that is currently active, and if it hasn't detected that you've gotten up during the meeting, pop up and ask you if you'd like to enable the walkie talkie again. These are all problems that can be solved with the existing hardware. It has motion sensors, it has GPS, it has a calendar already built-in. Apple just needs to make it happen.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Its to cool of a feature not to use so I will definitely use DND from the phone or watch when I am in meetings.

Reactions: quadchick10

Richardadc

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2018
Is someone able to speak to you at any time with this then? One of the reviews I read said the connection only stays open for 5 minutes and then you have to accept the new request again. Is this not right?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, the manual do not disturb is going to be a real PITA. I bet either a point update and at the very latest watchOS 6 will fix this. All they really need to do is add the ability to schedule availability for it, and at most some sort of geofence capability so it doesn't go off when I'm at work. Another good solution would be to automatically silence it when I have a calendar meeting that is currently active, and if it hasn't detected that you've gotten up during the meeting, pop up and ask you if you'd like to enable the walkie talkie again. These are all problems that can be solved with the existing hardware. It has motion sensors, it has GPS, it has a calendar already built-in. Apple just needs to make it happen.

AW is doing everything you said with DND, which in effect will make WT unavailable, just not WT alone.

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I love the feature but nothing drains the battery more. The only thing close is exercise app running with music.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
AW is doing everything you said with DND, which in effect will make WT unavailable, just not WT alone.
But when I’m at work I need to get email and texts and everything else. All of those things come in silently, but the walkie talkie can’t because of what it is.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I wrote a feedback entry on this very problem suggesting an "approve" sort of permission when someone walkie-talks to me after a determined amount of time has passed since the last conversation. They rejected my suggestion saying "This defeats the purpose of how a walkie talkie works"

So, for example, im in a meeting, and I have this option of approving turned on, I would get a haptic buzz, I look at my watch and I can choose "accept, reject or dismiss". Accepting would allow the first walkie-talk through immediately and I can have a conversation. When 5 or 10 min has passed after the last walkie-talk has occured, then the approval process restarts all over again.

If I reject, the person on the other end will be notified the person is busy and unable to respond to walkie-talkie.

Dismiss will simply let the original walkie-talkie go nowhere or maybe transcribe it to text where possible. Spitballing.

All I know is i dont need to be at a funeral, forget to DND my watch and my bro of 20 years out of the blue go "Hey a**hole!!! Told you the Browns SUUUUUCKED! IDIOT!"

Cmon Apple. This feature wont be used at all without some controls on how I receive these.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
I wrote a feedback entry on this very problem suggesting an "approve" sort of permission when someone walkie-talks to me after a determined amount of time has passed since the last conversation. They rejected my suggestion saying "This defeats the purpose of how a walkie talkie works"

So, for example, im in a meeting, and I have this option of approving turned on, I would get a haptic buzz, I look at my watch and I can choose "accept, reject or dismiss". Accepting would allow the first walkie-talk through immediately and I can have a conversation. When 5 or 10 min has passed after the last walkie-talk has occured, then the approval process restarts all over again.

If I reject, the person on the other end will be notified the person is busy and unable to respond to walkie-talkie.

Dismiss will simply let the original walkie-talkie go nowhere or maybe transcribe it to text where possible. Spitballing.

All I know is i dont need to be at a funeral, forget to DND my watch and my bro of 20 years out of the blue go "Hey a**hole!!! Told you the Browns SUUUUUCKED! IDIOT!"

Cmon Apple. This feature wont be used at all without some controls on how I receive these.

I agree 100% and won’t be using the feature until there’s some sanity around this.

The only potential saving grace is Siri’s suggestions to enable DND during calendar events, but that’s an unworkable solution as well for several reasons. For example, I don’t make calendar entries when I go to the movies.

Since they are store-and-forward audio files (a’la iMessage audio), it shouldn’t be an issue to do this. That being said, since you can already do this with iMessage, and those users don’t need to have a Watch, it’s a superior way to do “walkie-talkie” functionality anyway.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
But when I’m at work I need to get email and texts and everything else. All of those things come in silently, but the walkie talkie can’t because of what it is.

Yeah, its almost like Walkie Talkie needs a notification of sorts (it currently doesn't have one). Perhaps a way to silence it, but have a haptic tap when someone wants to chat.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, its almost like Walkie Talkie needs a notification of sorts (it currently doesn't have one). Perhaps a way to silence it, but have a haptic tap when someone wants to chat.
Yeah, but the thing with having a notification basically makes it like a phone call. Instant communication when out and about is great. This is going to be really great as my kids get older and we're coordinating even more activities on the weekend or go to theme parks and split up and need to keep track of everyone. I think it just needs the notification tap when you're already in do not disturb.

Reactions: tgara

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am not sure why this is a problem. If you're in a meeting mute your phone and watch. That is proper etiquette.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Not sure if it was a bug or not, but I had the availability set to OFF and my watch took the call ― imagine you were in an interview or in class taking a test and someone says "Dumbass I told you to text me what you wanted for lunch"

I completely turned it off, for people with anxiety this would be a nightmare to have turned on, no thanks!

Reactions: Smith288

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah, but the thing with having a notification basically makes it like a phone call. Instant communication when out and about is great. This is going to be really great as my kids get older and we're coordinating even more activities on the weekend or go to theme parks and split up and need to keep track of everyone. I think it just needs the notification tap when you're already in do not disturb.

Can you imagine going to a meeting with a walkie talkie? Me either... So it doesn't have to be so black and white. Keep the integrity of the walkie talkie principal there but only when someone approves to accept the back and forth.

Reactions: supertomtom

Hicks.

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
UK
My GF messaged me when she was in a public toilet stall and so I decided to fire up the Walkie Talkie app and shout through it "I AM HAVING A WEE!!!". She was a little embarrassed haha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.