Who else like the old Iphone more?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sound Evolution, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Dear All,

I'm sorry to say, but I like the design of the old Iphone a lot more, with the flat metal back. I hope Apple ever bring back a model with the stylish aluminium.

I am sad :(

With kind regards,
    Bas

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It mystifies me how some people get so hung up over minor cosmetic issues, they ignore significant feature improvements...

That would be a 'not me'....... :rolleyes:

3. LangleyAls macrumors member

It may be the case that the previous design was nicer, but for once it appears that functionality has been placed above design.
    The plastic back is required for better reception and GPS capabilities, i think i would prefer those two in all honesty.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, I'll suspend any judgement until I have had a chance to hold the "new" iPhone in my hands… ;)

I find it difficult to understand why people are jumping to such absolute conclusions based on pics and hearsay…
    :rolleyes:

5. uhhitsjames macrumors member

I kind of liked the brushed metal backing on the last one.
    Flat black would have been nice, but glossy is just fine.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I like the old iphone's data plan more... does that count?

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I think that it is too early to judge as to whether we truly which iPhone better. They haven't even been placed in stores yet for customers to test. I don't think that a good answer can be stated without actual trying it in some way. Granted, we have heard about how the new iPhone is terribly prone to scratches, but we don't exactly know how much care was taken into keeping that iPhone from being scratched. But through my uneducated understanding of the new iPhone, I feel that in means of material and the physical quality of the iPhone 3G, that I would prefer the original better. But the GPS and 3G capabilities might even outweigh the "lack of quality" (assuming that there is one) and might make people prefer the iPhone 3G over the original, we will just have to wait and see.

8. jreed macrumors newbie

I would rather have a black back, but not plastic

The silver back wasnt bad, but it scratched waaaay to easily and it was very slippery.

I guess my ultimate back would be some kind of black rubbery type back.
    -No scratches or smudges
    -Not slippery

if anything needs to be talked about, its that darn silver ring in the front. Beautiful but its a soft metal. the slightest little thing touches it and its scratched and even dented.

9. ayale99 macrumors 6502

Considering:
    1. $15.00 per month increase
    2. plastic back
    3. Small 3G network in my area
    4. App Store coming soon

Yes, I'm liking my iPhone 1.0 a lot more now.

10. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I agree. I like the old design more, and the $10 increase in the AT&T bill with the new phone is certainly another con. But the new features make it a "minus 1, plus 2" situation.

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

In your case, it sounds as if a case would be a better option in means of the back, although I don't care about scratches, I have tried the (original) iPhones at the store, along with all of my friends' iPhones, and they don't seem that prone to scratching at all, or slippery as you have noted. But these are just my observations.

12. xploit macrumors regular

IT LOOKS BETTER because it's made better! The old one that is. The plastic on the new one is more about cost reduction than anything else. They even had to cheapen the accessories! No more dock. The people that are saying its a significant improvement probably sold their originals and are upset or are first time iphone buyers. You couldn't possible not see that the old one was made with better materials. To those that say speed was most important well thats old news and you could of bought one of the many smartphones with no design and plenty of speed. The original iPhone was high quality and great design. This new model is mass market appeal al la RAZER!

X-

13. uhhitsjames macrumors member

Agreed.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Funny, I don't remember the RAZR ever going plastic.

The hardware is entirely better. Having a single-piece back made of plastic, instead of 2/3 aluminum and 1/3 plastic, does not a worse phone make. I'd say that the new features and improved reception are more than a worthy tradeoff.

But if you're that convinced in the 1G iPhone's superiority, be our guest, stick with it.

15. jreed macrumors newbie

As to what i did to solve this problem, you are right. I bought the OTTERBOX defender case for my second iphone. When I placed it on ebay, it didnt have one scratch on it. I used my internet nearly all day, so it stayed in my hand instead of my pocket. A case was needed. Im jealous of those who are able to keep their phones scratch free without a case. Thats a talent.

16. xploit macrumors regular

Sorry aesthetics are important to me and I presume a lot of apple customers. This simply falls short of expectations especially in the cut throat business that is handsets. Significant feature improvements? The only ones exclusive to the new 3g are 3G (which you have to pay more for) and GPS (I think a phone is the least of your problem if your really using this feature) other than that you loose metal for plastic. That is never a good thing.

X-

17. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

The reason why I love Apple, STYLE over FUNCTIONALITY... G4 Cube, Imac flat panal,etc... aluminum back was unique and so so cool... But plastic, and glossy back.. Its ridiculous, whatever happened to Steve open letter to the green party, not that im an environmentalist or anything..

BRING BACK ALUMINIUM!!!!

18. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I have yet to see the 2nd Generation in person, so I can't fully say.... However, I will probably be happy once I get it though!

19. jreed macrumors newbie

i think people are letting the words PLASTIC and shiny scare them. Im not a material expert, but arent there good tough plastics out there. Im not saying that Apple has def used one of these plastics, But i agree with the above quote. Lets put our hands on one of these 3g iphones before we assume things. It is possible we are getting something great. Who knows.

Eventhough I have said this, you will still ignore me though. Some of you just love being difficult. LOL

20. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I plan on keeping my iPhone until a better version comes out.

I don't need an increase of $15(including tax) to my phone bill :/

21. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I have a friend who is always amazed when he sees my iPhone. I just have two areas on the back with scratches. I think the phone rests on these two spots when I set it on the table. The rest is pristine. No case. I carry it in my pocket with only the V-Moda headset (in the included pouch) sharing the space. His is in a case (many cases over the last year) and he has all kinds of scratches. He has also dropped his (and had it dropped for him) numreous times on tile floors at best. I think I have dropped mine once on carpet.

I look forward to the new phone. If I knew for sure that I would get reception at my work desk because of the new plastic back, I would be extremely happy. I am just on the fringe of service now. I am pretty sure I will be upgrading even without those assurances. Can't wait to see one live and up close.

22. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

Important to me too. I've dropped my iPhone several times outside, on the concrete,on the basketball court, on tile floor and it has a few scuffs and scratches (war wounds) on the beautifully sexy silver backing it has, but the screen is still flawless and I will have a little bit of guilty pleasure (once the whole world has a black iPhone) that I still have the more stylish first generation iPhone.

23. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

i couldn't agree with you more. i really do like the old one much better. i am on tmobile so i just snagged a 1st gen 16gb iphone on ebay. cant wait to get it!

24. xploit macrumors regular

Your right about some plastics. I use to own the Bang and Olufsen/Samsung SERENE. This phone was wild and for the most part very impractical. What it did have though was a very good feeling plastic back cover. This material was definitely plastic but of a rich matte texture that felt well rich. It didnt scratch or leave smudges either! It can be done with plastic but I guess my beef in this case is that the plastic is cheap looking. Therefore it was done as a cost cutting measure otherwise they would of gone with something better.

X-

25. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

How much did you pay for it? The only upgrade I would do is to sell my 1st gen 8gb iPhone and get a 1st gen 16gb iPhone.

Oh, by the way. You are going to love it!!!