Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
Here's the reality: you've got to choose to embrace the change.

Someone else appropriately linked this old thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1268718/

People just don't like change.

I FLIPPING HATE windows 8 so far. Forcing a user to be within a Metro UI to do something as simple as searching for a file is something I want no part of (aside from wanting no part of Metro UI period). It would be like putting spotlight exclusively inside of launchpad that required another desktop to be created to do the search.

So I switched to mac (my computer was the last PC in the house). My wife has SL and I've got Lion, and I kind of prefer SL, but in no way is it terrible. I find it overall just as efficient just in a different way.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Here's the reality: you've got to choose to embrace the change.

Someone else appropriately linked this old thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1268718/

People just don't like change.

I FLIPPING HATE windows 8 so far. Forcing a user to be within a Metro UI to do something as simple as searching for a file is something I want no part of (aside from wanting no part of Metro UI period). It would be like putting spotlight exclusively inside of launchpad that required another desktop to be created to do the search.

So I switched to mac (my computer was the last PC in the house). My wife has SL and I've got Lion, and I kind of prefer SL, but in no way is it terrible. I find it overall just as efficient just in a different way.

Heres the difference... Windows 8 is a developer preview that is meant to showcase that ui, and they have already said they would change that based on feedback. You can change it already very simply (use the google! =)).

Apple on the other hand doesn't care what you think... they are trying to tell you what you are going to do and how your going to do it.

shaun319

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
New York City
Lion now works well for me. After the last update, my computer no longer freezes randomly. Also, I updated my FLASH software through adobe and now I don't have the freezing problem with Safari. I only thing I am still having a problem adjusting to is the autosave feature (versions) feature. Otherwise, I love the full screen view.

PlaidHatter

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
Just like all other upgrades, hated it at first and then came to depend on new features. Updates help to. Just stick with it. Had tons of problems with Snow Leopard too, was even the first time I had to do a reinstall on a Mac, but it turned out to be my favorite release after a few updates.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
audio hijack and quicktime pro 7 do not work - crash when opening, this despite bother apps compatible with lion.

I was hoping to start a fresh with my new mac, guess I'm just gonna have to go back to snow leopard and do a straight transfer.

Spadoinkles

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Florida
Do you seriously have to make a thread for every one of your whinges?

Make one, don't hit submit prematurely and list. You're cluttering up this space with your problems where it only takes an idiot to solve half of them.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Do you seriously have to make a thread for every one of your whinges?

Make one, don't hit submit prematurely and list. You're cluttering up this space with your problems where it only takes an idiot to solve half of them.

One could say the same about you posting this... Your point?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
yea i'm not very impressed wit lion thought it would have been a lot better or maybe it just takes time 4 it ta come ryt i dont know really think i will leave it 4 a few months n try it again and c if it improves but it cant get any worse lol

(Am I the only one who has a great deal of difficulty taking anyone who writes like that seriously?)

FWIW, we're happy with Lion here. I've yet to meet a perfect piece of software (or hardware, for that matter), and Lion has its imperfections like everything else, but I'm enjoying the new functionality and speed. This is not a cosmetic upgrade.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Don't believe all the "power users" that say Lion is dumbed down. Mac OS X Lion is far from "dumbed down" and as a power user I find I enjoy it much more than Snow Leopard.

- Mission control : Fantastic. Finally Expose made useful through Application Expose and Spaces made even better through moveable desktops (10.7.2), gesture navigation (four-finger swipes, up for Mission Control, down for Application Expose, left and right to switch spaces) and variable desktop backgrounds for a quick indication of where you are. All Apple needs to do now is remove the "automatically re-order desktop" feature or at least give an option to disable it.

- Gestures. Come on, who can't like these ? All the keyboard shortcuts are still there for when I don't want to take my fingers off the keyboard and when I'm just casually browsing, the gestures are there to quicken up the "pace".

- Solid Unix foundation is still there, better than ever. What more can be said, nothing better than dropping down to Terminal for some good old fashion bash magic.

- Full screen applications. Great for some, less for others but completely optional. Really finding it good on the 1440x900 monitor of my Air for the screen real-estate and just revert to windowed mode when I plug in my 2048x1156 external and use the MBA in dual-monitor mode.

- Not to mention all my favorites are still there : Always-on scrollbars, Dots on the dock for running applications, no resume crap. Apple really went out of there way to make things configurable and tweakable so that everyone can make the system work for them.

Really enjoying Lion up to now and people at work still marvel at how productive it makes me when moving around from full screen Terminal with multiple tabs open to a space with our VCenter management application to my work e-mail all and back.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
All Apple needs to do now is remove the "automatically re-order desktop" feature or at least give an option to disable it

?

rearrange.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.