Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I've been pretty lucky with Apple stuff. Never had any problems with iPods, iPhones or iPads. Actually everything in the last 10 years or so has been flawless as far as I'm concerned. But I did get one of the original square white iBooks with a really wonky trackpad button that I had to get replaced. That's about it, actually, although of course some things did develop issues after years of use.

I would bet if some of the nitpicky people here spent some time with your apple gear, they'd FIND faults worth going to the Genius Bar for

That's my feeling as well. I really can't help but shake my head at some of the "faults" that people here complain about. Sure, you don't want to pay a lot for something that's legitimately faulty, but a microscopic scratch or whatever hardly seems like cause to exchange something. But that's just me.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I think this forum wants to make me OCD... LOL... I've bought every generation of iPhones since the first, and never had issues. I was never really nit picky on my iDevices. I have minor screen bleed on my iPad 2, but didn't bother me enough to exchange it. The back of my 6 plus wasn't completely flat, but it didn't bother me since I was planning to use a black PS Air Jacket case anyway.

Never had to go the genius bar for any of my previous iDevices, but there was one issue on my plus that bothered me. The bottom portion of my dock was very bright, and my eyes gets drawn to it even with brightness turned down. When I turned my iPhone upside down to make it rotate, the brightness on the bottom of the dock disappeared. I made an appointment just to see if I was developing MR OCD, and they compared to their display models to mine, and the bottom part of my dock definitely brighter on my 6 plus in the upright position. First time I ever exchanged an iPhone, but feel much better that I did. Also... not that it mattered... but the back of my plus replacement is straight and flat. :)

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I didn't necessarily get a faulty unit out of the box, but when applying light pressure to the top left of the screen (where the volume buttons are) i could hear a clicking sound. Plus, the headphone jack needed some real pressure to get my headphones to go in.

Fortunately, i went through that whole identity crisis thing and exchanged it for a Plus, before going back to the 6 and the model I have now seems perfectly fine. No clicking, no weight lifting required to insert headphones into the jack.

All is well with the world!

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I have a 6, perfect.

I really enjoy the larger screen with zoomed display turned on. Great for those of us with older eyes.

I have bought every iPhone model on launch day and haven't had a single initial issue. I did have an iPhone 5 that had the home button go bad after about 6 months and had it replaced at an iPhone store.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
Absolutely pristine iPhone 6. No issues whatsoever.

I'm eternally grateful to the Chinese sweatshop worker who made it. She made her money.

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
I just got a very flawless replacement iPhone 6 space gray. My first one was flawless to a point minus a few things here and there but my replacement one is awesome.

Last edited:

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Got a flawless 6 Plus specimen on launch day. No dead pixels, even lighting across the display, no gap between the glass and metal, perfectly straight body.

Unfortunately the screen has a ton of micro scratches, despite never having had to use a screen protector in the five years that I've owned iPhones. Also hoping it doesn't bend over its lifetime.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
Got a flawless 6 Plus specimen on launch day. No dead pixels, even lighting across the display, no gap between the glass and metal, perfectly straight body.

Unfortunately the screen has a ton of micro scratches, despite never having had to use a screen protector in the five years that I've owned iPhones. Also hoping it doesn't bend over its lifetime.

that surprises me. I've owned a gs4 with GG2 thats been beat to hell between car crashes, drops, etc and never had a screen protector. It has scratches, but only 5 or so in the 1.5 years i've owned hte phone.

I think not having a lip is a big thing. I guess when my 6+ comes ill buy a protector.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I swapped my 64 for a 128 and both 6 plus phones were perfect out of the box. Dumb luck, or buying slightly after the rush of production? Who knows?

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
Perfect iPhone here. No loose buttons, home button is a firm, crisp click, great feedback. Perfect display and accuracy. Excellent sound and call quality. Couldn't be happier. My 5S and 6 have both been like this.

crispApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2015
Wisconsin
First one (iPhone 6 space grey) I had to return in less than 24 hrs because when taking a video and listening to it the sound was distorted and very just poor quality. Went to my local Apple Store and they replaced it instantly with no questions asked. Love the customer service.

My new iPhone 6 I got from them probably 3 weeks ago is absolutely perfect. It went from the box to an apple leather case (brown) as well as screen protector right away.

I had good luck with my iPhone 3g never got a replacement as well as my iPhone 4. But had to get my iPhone 5 replaced several times for rattling buttons as well as camera rattles that were more than normal. Also one with dust under the screen.

#

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
i had a flawless phone but then i cracked the back of the iPhone 5, but when i get the 6 I'm getting the mophie with it

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Man you guys are lucky! I have had a iPhone 4, 5 and and iPad 4 all with zero problems. Enter iPhone 6. I was expecting the same. Not the case. I'm on my 5th 64GB space gray iPhone 6 and I'm still not quite satisfied! Phone number 1 had bad dark blotchy display uniformity issues in the center of the screen. Phone 2 had FaceTime camera shifting problem and dark upper right hand corner. Phone 3 had perfect FaceTime camera with the neat blue glow but the display had a dark upper right quad and the lower left quad was very yellow looking compared to the rest of the screen. Phone 4 had the same FaceTime shifting problem and dark upper right corner as well along with a color temperature shift that went from yellow to blue from left to right across the whole screen! Now I'm on my 5th and I've given up for the time being. This one too has the FaceTime camera shifting problem right out of the brand new sealed box week 51 too. However the display is the most acceptable (evenly lit) one I've seen yet so I've decided to keep it. It does have one darker spot but it's not as bad as the last ones! My iPhone 4 and 5 have great displays. I don't know what went wrong with the 6! I think all the workers are sleeping on the job and just passing them all through! I'm going to send this one back at the end of next year to fix the FaceTime camera. Hopefully they will have it figured out by then!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.