Who has a MBPr 15" and is still happy with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by molingrad, Jan 28, 2013.

1. molingrad macrumors member

I'm kind of low on funds and was considering to sell my 2.3 15" MBPr with 16GB. I love it but since I upgraded my mini to 8GB I'm having a hard time justifying it. Just curious how many people still have their ORIGINAL purchase MBPr 15" and are still happy with it and have no ghosting issues etc.

2. phixionalninja macrumors member

If you mean the exact unit I started with, then no. I got one replacement unit within the 14 day return period, and then eventually got a screen replacement for that one. I've stuck with the same configuration since my initial purchase though, and I've been consistently thrilled with its performance.

It's like any other tool though: if you don't need it and can't justify the cost, why keep it? Of course since you're talking about selling it, as opposed to considering an initial purchase, you're weighing potential profit (instead of retail price) against future utility.

3. Bambooisland macrumors newbie

Still going strong. No reason to sell. I am everyday amazed how quick the Macbook is.

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

I love my MBPR.. had some MAJOR dead pixel problem with the first one.. but got the screen replaced (in 20 hours!).. i still have two dead pixels now.. but i have to be very close to spot them so it doesn't bother me at all.

I love it because it is very cabable of everything i throw at it.. games, video editing, 3D etc. .. it just works.. and i have Bootcamp with windows on it so i have a computer ready for pretty much any software around.

And the best of it all? it's very portable... i always carry it in my bag.. and when i get home i hook it up to my main monitor and have a desktop-ish experience with only a few cables.

i have the:

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Screen's amazing, but I really wish I'd gotten something a bit lighter now.

Then again, I could find something to complain about in an empty room. Other than boredom.

6. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Got mine 3-4 months ago. Still same computer, still working flawlessly.

7. nilk macrumors 6502

I have a rMBP 15" at work (company paid for it). This replaced an early-2009 17" MBP. I am very happy with it and have no major complaints. I have a Samsung panel, so no ghosting.

I always use it in 1920x1200 mode when I am doing work and this works great. I even have one app that I spend a lot of time in that isn't Retina-enabled, and that doesn't bother me when in 1920x1200 mode. (The app is Eclipse -- I can get it to run in Retina mode, but has some issues when I do).

If I was buying something for myself I wouldn't buy one of these, though, they are way too expensive and the 768GB SSD option makes it way out of my budget (this would have to become my main machine, and I would need as much storage capacity as I could get if it were to be my main machine).

Is selling Mini an option?

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes of course, it's only six/seven months old, and lovely. I'm considering getting a mini (coincidentally) to upgrade my old Windows Vista media computer... I wish they were available with lower specifications really, I don't need 500Gb to boot OSX!

9. molingrad thread starter macrumors member

Anyone with an LG screen and happy. I have an LG but no problems so far. Worried about the future if I keep it. It is a great machine.

10. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Did they really fix the IR problems? I was at Best Buy and minimized a screen and could see the burned in image even on the stock galaxy/stars wallpaper.

11. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

I have an LG screen and love it . My first RMBP had a Samsung which was fine as well albeit the screen was warmer and the colors were less profound but it was fine till it developed white spots on it recently so they swapped it for the LG and i could not be happier.

It was an issue for many people getting those white push/pressure marks on the screen and it took mine awhile to develop.

My new RMBP is week 50 (December) build and so far so good.

If i get image retention or whatever i will use my warranty so frankly i could care less which screen i have in the end as long as im satisfied and i am very much so.

I have an Alienware M17xR4 with a GTX680m and a 120hz but i rarely use it over my RMBP even for gaming i just enjoy the Mac and bootcamp for everything i do all the time so its probably going up for sale soon as its just a waste or overkill for me.

12. kensic macrumors 6502

yea i am in the same situation. i want a mini to replace my windows computer. but i would suggest to wait for the haswell to come out....that way you atleast have a wayyy more powerful onboard graphics. because the hd4000 isn't going to cut it in as time progresses

13. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Not a single hardware problem. Had mine since early July. Super happy.:)

14. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I've had mine 5 days, still happy! I lucked out because Best Buy is offering 60 day return policy on mine, so I still have 55 days to see if mine has image retention or any other issues and I can get out of the purchase without having to do the return/exchange game with Apple.

15. tillsbury macrumors 65816

All the HD4000 has to do is output HDTV through the HDMI port. That's all it'll ever have to do. It's not going to struggle doing that, and its job isn't going to change. My existing Windows media machine has an ATI Radeon X1300 with 256Mb, which was a reasonable entry-level card in 2005, and more than capable of the job (performance is not the reason for the upgrade).

16. kensic macrumors 6502

like people say, its always good to have the extra power. just incase your needs change in the future.

and i don't see the prices change more then 10%. so i think its worth waiting. that's just my take

17. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Had mine for over a month now and no issues and still love it :D:D

18. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Still love mine after almost 7 months of use. Had to replace the screen when it was like 4 months old but, apart from that, it's still perfect :)

19. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I've had mine (2.3/16/256) for two months now and there have been no problems whatsoever. It is my only machine and has exceeded all expectations. Coming from a 2010 11" MBA it took some time to adjust to the footprint, but I am still amazed at how much power is in such a thin and light computer.

My screen is an LG and it looks fantastic, with no ghosting, dead pixels, or any other problems. I know this could change, but if it does become a problem I can just get the screen replaced via Apple Care easily enough.

20. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I've had it just over a week. I'm actually debating returning my it! The design is impeccable. The retina screen is smooth and crisp. It's just that — to me — the white balance of the display is too warm. My photography teacher friend, who has an eye for this kind of thing, noticed it seems off too. At first I thought it was a bit yellowish. She thinks — and I now agree — it's more of a red push. I even noticed the Apple logo glows a little pink. I've tried Apple's built-in calibration tool. I can't make a profile that looks neutral to me. I don't have a radio spectrometer to calibrate it. And I'm not going to go out and buy one. It's a such a let down considering my iPad retina has what I consider neutral whites. Otherwise I really love the computer! Argh, what should I do?!

By the way, this one's got an LG screen. I can't see any image retention. I haven't done any tests — but I have not been looking for it either.

Here's a pic I took that illustrates my conundrum. The retina is on the left. My old MacBook Pro is on the right.

Am I being too picky? It seems that all Apple laptops come with this color temperature now...

Attached Files:

21. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

And my LG screen looks nothing like yours and has a very nice white push to it like paper.

My Samsung the first Retina i had was more yellowish or warm but yours is to a much greater degree then the ones i have seen.

If you like it enough i would say just exchange it and maybe open it in the store before leaving so you do not waste any more time .

22. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

Happy as a pig in poop. LG screen, no issues of any kind, other than continued amazement at how fantastic it is.

23. Ploki macrumors 68000

I have a samsung display, i did some ad hoc white balance measurements with a camera, and when I calibrated it the screen turned too blue (i like colder screen tones), but the native calibration seems pretty balanced. My cousin who is a designer didn't notice it too warm, he usually comments on my displays being too cold.

24. Valkyre macrumors 6502

perfectly happy with mine so far... apart from the damn efi bug...

Got a perfect samsung screen

No lag stutter

best computer i ever owned.

But that EFI bug.... its irritating....

25. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Just eyeballing it my Samsung is in between your two displays in terms of white balance. Definitely less yellow, but not as cool as a retina iPad for sure in either case.

There is a definite variance in displays, though, and I would suggest as others have to see if you can exchange it for a cooler display.