Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luftwaffles

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I have a Dual G5 (specs in my sig) and I love it. I use it over my quad-core desktop, mostly because I rely heavily on OS X and also because I quit playing WoW and alot of other games.

The video card is only a 5200FX but I'd much rather use the Mac for Photoshop than my quad-core with an 8600GT and Vista.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I sold on my Powerbook and got a Macbook last month because of how much better the Macbook is.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
While I still love my rev. A iMac G5, I've been seeing another Mac on the side. She's sexy and shiny and has 2 huge, perfectly symmetrical, br...er...processor cores.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Suppose sense of elitism is all you've got if its a old mac.

That said I still use a ibook

(but have a mac pro for work)

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
A mac is a mac. You have to move with the times.

I have 2 PowerPC based macs, not worth £200 between them these day, the G3 is an expensive paperweight really and looking at how cheap a used G5 is and the SPEC scores compared with the 2.4Ghz iMac, I could buy a 1.8ghz dual G5 for about the same as the 2Ghz Mac Mini and have 2 drive bays and up to 8GB of RAM.

The problem is, even thought it would SMOKE my current 800Mhz mac and make more sense than wasting any money on a CPU upgrade or something I can't really expand. No PowerPC mac can come close to matching the speed of any modern mac with an equal number of cores running the same applications with native code.

There's already applications coming out that are only for intel macs and those older PowerPC systems are going to keep dropping in price.

A "real" mac is anything apple badged as far as I'm concerned.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Well, I happen to own an original G3 iMac (OS 9), a 233 MHz G3 PowerBook (10.3.9), and a 1.25 GHz MDD Power Mac G4 (Leopard), though they have been relegated to more menial jobs, like being turned off most of the time (though I gave the PM G4 to my mother so she could have a Mac). I sold my 12" PowerBook a few weeks ago, but the new MacBook makes up for it's absence. Though I must say, the PPC processor was "the good old days" of Apple.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I have the last rev dual core G5. It's awesome! I can't think of a reason to get rid of it.

Same here.

I bought it an MBA to keep it company. They're about equal in performance, but the G5 is better with graphics.

I also have a Tibook that I rescued from an abusive owner and a G4 Digital Audio that immigrated from the UK. The other half has an ibook G4.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
A ridiculous sense of elitism held by the OP.

Congratulations, you have a slower, less functional computer than I do.
Does your Unibody Macbook Pro have three USB, Firewire 400, Firewire 800, S-Video, Full DVI, etc? In fact does your Unibody Macbook pro have ports either side so you can plug in a mouse no matter which handed you are?

I thought not :D

BTW I disagree with the OP, I'm just making a point that by definition Mac laptops are less functional now than they were.

Think different, think no connectivity.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Does your Unibody Macbook Pro have three USB, Firewire 400, Firewire 800, S-Video, Full DVI, etc? In fact does your Unibody Macbook pro have ports either side so you can plug in a mouse no matter which handed you are?

BTW I disagree with the OP, I'm just making a point that by definition Mac laptops are less functional now than they were.

Does your PowerBook G4 run a virtualized Windows environment any faster than a snail on a North Dakota morning? I thought not. :D

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Same here.

I bought it an MBA to keep it company. They're about equal in performance, but the G5 is better with graphics.

I also have a Tibook that I rescued from an abusive owner and a G4 Digital Audio that immigrated from the UK. The other half has an ibook G4.

Yep- I've got a 2.4 BlackBook as well. Performance is similar, but yes, graphics in the G5 are far better.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York

Think different, think no connectivity.

Who said I have a Unibody Macbook Pro? I have an older MacBook, which has 2 USB, a Firewire 400, and a Mini DVI (I have an adapter to Full DVI).

But you are right. In terms of hardware, new Mac laptops have less functionality than before. In terms of software, however, they are much better.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Who said I have a Unibody Macbook Pro? I have an older MacBook, which has 2 USB, a Firewire 400, and a Mini DVI (I have an adapter to Full DVI).

But you are right. In terms of peripheral hardware, new Mac laptops have less functionality than before. In terms of software, however, they are much better.

Fixed. Since the hardware inside is generations ahead of what the PPC mac laptops had.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Thank you. I knew there was a problem with my sentence but I couldn't quite figure out how to clarify it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
i can has reel mak?

I do think iBook and PowerBook are more reliable in their sleep and instant on.
(Yes I try to turn off safe sleep on intel macs but there are random sleep issues, although fewer cases than windows laptops, but more than the ibook g3, ibook g4, and powerbook g4 which never have any sleep issues for me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.