Who has already had to return their late 2008 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RJapple, Oct 30, 2008.

1. RJapple macrumors newbie

Post your configuration, your reason for return, and any other info about the situation you like. I just want to get one thread that gives a feel for all the issues everyone is having. Thanks!!

Mine is 2.8GHz, 320 @ 7200 and had to return for a noisy left fan, and a minor blemish or scratch of the bezel underneath the glass. They are replacing my machine. Sucks cause its my first Mac.

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Define "noisy left fan"?

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

4. robg126 macrumors newbie

Received today sending back tomorrow

Got my 2.53ghz 4gb MacBook pro today. Unpacked it very excited to get my first mac and it switches on but absolutely nothing appears on the screen. After going through various video card resets etc with the apple help guy he said it's a hardware fault and I have to get a replacement. I am really annoyed as now I have to wait another 2 weeks to get it from china (I'm in the uk). So frustrating I was anticipating some kind of flaw like a uneven keyboard or something but to not even be able to see the thing working has really annoyed me. Well I have to endure this wait all over again. Happy Halloween!!

5. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

I'm replacing mine due to verticle bands that appear when you view the screen at a slight angle. Also, the screen is darker along the bottom so the brightness is not really even.

6. RJapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, for the first 3 days i owned it, it ran dead silent unless really pushed. On the 4th day, I noticed a whirring sound that wasn't there before when I started it up. The fan noise does not go away as soon as OSX boots. I called Apple and they got me to do an SMC reset, but it did not fix the issue. Long story short they apologized and are sending me a new machine.

7. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Although I haven't taken it back yet, I suspect I'll have to swap the HD and possibly the keyboard. The 7200rpm HD vibrates quite a bit and it can be felt throughout the computer casing. The keyboard squeaks like crazy when I press the keys down (especially the i button). Is anyone else experiencing this, or am I being too anal?

Configuration is in my sig.

8. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

My keyboard doesn't squeak but the right command key doesn't seem to be fitted properly. When i push it down it makes a clacking sound like it's scraping against the aluminum. Also, the touchpad is about a millimeter lower on the right side compared to the left. All these little annoying things and then added to the screen issues forced me to request and RMA.

9. tom burns macrumors member

i hadto return 2. One for an annoyingly loose battery cover and one for a dent next to the trackpad. I am waiting for new stock to come to the applestore.

10. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

I am returning my first one. I had a finger print behind the glass so I will probably ship it out tomorrow.

I really thought Apple quality was better than this...

Not a very good first impression since this was my first mac and my first laptop.

11. MitchMan macrumors newbie

I returned my 2.53 MPB because the ExpressCard Slot cover was bent out and not flush with the Aluminium Unibody. :apple:

12. Moff macrumors newbie

13. Crash1234 macrumors regular

I've had to return three and am now without an mbp b/c I was just it was getting ridiculous, I opted for a full refund on my money. All had warped lids, one had faulty optical drive, and two felt as if there was something clunking around inside the case when lifted even when they were turned off.

14. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

One word... E-D-I-T

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did. The negative blacks in the screen made it impossible to watch or view anything dark head on or at an angle (as though I'd sit beside the notebook to use it).

16. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Sent mine in for repair. Tried to wake it from sleep and it wouldn't. Then it would not turn get past the grey apple screen when I tried to turn it on, would not allow me to archive and intall the OS. Apple repair has said that they wanted to investigate what happened to my machine further and if I was willing would send me a knew one. I agreed 2 days ago but have yet to hear if/when the new one will be shipped. I am getting a little peeved. Bought it on the 15, had it for 5 days, been with out for 10, and now the credit card bill is due.

17. nishishei macrumors regular

Rev A guys.. Rev A.

You are the $1999+ beta tester.

18. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

So true!!!! I am beta testing two!!:)

19. Jsfuller macrumors newbie

Jsfuller

im taking mine in tomorrow it has been randomly crashind, about 4-6 times a day. and when i hook up my time machiene drive it always says that its read only and reformats the drive, thats happened about 6 times in the last 10 days. Any one else have that problem?

20. SkylerXR macrumors newbie

21. Jsfuller macrumors newbie

Jsfuller

and the sad part is that its real ):

22. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

My trackpad seems to have issues. Sometimes it will not register clicks. Not sure if this will warrant an exchange or not

23. 7even macrumors 6502a

First had ripples on the LCD + slightly crooked battery door, second had ripples on the LCD + pretty harsh vibration from the fans + flickering backlight + slightly crooked battery door + possibly flaky wifi which took 20 minutes to connect to one unsecured wifi that I've never had trouble with, third seems perfect other than a few tilted function keys and slightly warped(?) glass around some of the edge of the screen (the rest of the surface is perfectly flat). Haven't used the current one for too long but so far I'm blown away with how much better it is than the first two. Even the superdrive doesn't vibrate much :eek:

24. RJapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like alot of these returns could have been solved by just a simple visual inspection at the end of the line. Well at least the ones with warped bodies and screen issues. This is what happens when manufacturing is outsourced to china. Great design, poor QC.

Hopefully my new machine is ok, I don't like hearing about multiple returns.

25. Balders macrumors member

Balders

I've had two 2.53Ghz and returned both of them for a full refund. I'm now waiting until they've resolved the shoddy build quality before buying.

1st had scratches and a dent on the right hand side edge, straight out of the box.
    2nd had a bright red stuck pixel and 4 specks of dust sandwiched between the lcd panel and glass.

There was also a queue of people returning their MB/MBPs at the same time - looks like there's gonna be quite a few refurbs available shortly :)