Who has no interest in Jailbreaking ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by asr10 user, Aug 3, 2010.

1. asr10 user macrumors regular

I am loving my iPhone 4 so much that I have bought almost $50 worth of apps within the first week, and I have pretty much never bought anything for a phone before. I also had a very bad experience with my first JB'ed iPhone 2G. So much so that I went back to my blackberry and hated iPhones.

With everyone seeming like they are JBing their phones, is there anyone else that does not care for it at all? Anyone have any terrible JB experiences?

Mine simply made my 2G worse in every way. Battery life went down the drain, everything got slow, everything would crash, every update from Apple was a super pain, I felt like I had to do this tedious update/jb cycle every month, etc. Even though they say a restore brings it back to normal, I still felt like the phone was never the same after.

2. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Dunno man. Sounds like u didn't know what you were doing. Hater's gonna hate

3. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Yeah I really don't see the point! Everyone is waiting for a big update to come from Apple to fix the proximity issue and other things but they will not be able to apply it with their JB phones untold it's 'safe' to do so by the Dev team which could take a long time.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

No, jailbreaking would do nothing for me - a standard iPhone would do all I wanted so I wouldn't bother.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I've got zero interest in Jailbreaking my iPad. I love it just the way it is and I'd hate to bugger it up.

6. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I can see the point with the apps like mywi and others but until they have themes that are retina compatible i wont use it.

The sbsettings seem like a good feature apple should have put that in anyway!

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Same, if I had an iPad I'd be exactly the same.

8. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have an iPad (But I have jailbroken it) but there aren't many uses for the iPad really. There are no 'killer' apps for the iPad on Cydia available unlike those for the iPhone.

As for the iPhone, well a Jailbreak is needed and while it's not for everybody - it's damn useful and adds additional features that we won't see implemented by Apple for a long time.

9. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I originally JB my 2G to do app development before the Dev program let me in. That first JB was like this one ... browse to a web page and BAM. It was a real eye opener on how easy it is to get hacked with holes like this. I don't really have a need to get out from under the thumb of Apple at the moment, but I would like this hole fixed so that browsing someone's website doesn't compromise my phone. That first JB patched the hole ... this one does not appear to do that.

10. dagomike macrumors 65816

I don't jailbreak my phone. There's nothing really that compelling to risk performance and stability. I'd be more likely to on the iPad, but I haven't done that either.

11. bluer101 macrumors regular

I had my original iphone JB, but that was before there was any app store. The only thing that would be nice would be the tethering and the ability to facetime on 3g. I will wait until some of the early problems are gone. I just hope at&t and apple allow facetime over 3g soon. We know it works now with the JB, so they should just allow it.

12. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

I dunno, I hack everything I own. Original Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360, Wii, Gameboy Advance for portable ROM playing, my old Moto RAZR phone.

But my iPhones have always remained "stock" and I keep up on Apple updates. It just works the way I want it too and the apps I use are few and cheap so I have bought the ones I use and that's it.

I understand why people do it, as i'm usually the one that does it, but it doesn't interest me right now.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think most people don't JB their phones. What you see here is a tiny subset of iPhone owners that are not representative of the actual population. Plus not all members here JB their phones.

Yeah a significant block of MR folks have, but if you don't have a need or a desire to run a given app, or customize the phone that can only be done through jail breaking, then why bother.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

No real interest. While the idea of FaceTime over 3G interests me - it's not enough to "risk" the downsides of JBing at this time. And I do think ATT will eventually allow FaceTime over their network anyway

16. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

No interest at all whatsoever in JB'ing my iPhone 4. If I wanted that level of freedeom I would have stuck w/ Android. You pay a premium to be in Apple's walled garden, but I find its worth it. Stuff generally works very well, my identity is not getting stolen from me, and there iTunes to keep everything all tightly integrated.

When I had my Droid I spent gobs of time trying to find all the Apple equivalents.

There are none.

17. asr10 user thread starter macrumors regular

Whats there to know? if its JB'ed its JB'ed.

I'm exactly the same. Everything I own is modded to hell. I have an original Xbox 1 in every room of my house running XBMC and am building a 20TB server to host my media. Soon ill be making a mini HTPC for every room as well.

But I dont think I care about making my phone look 'cool' or any of the other JB stuff. I would really like MyWI and emulators, but thats all. I still have hope for an app sneaking into the App store that will do what MyWi does and buying it before Apple takes it down.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Ever since Carriers/Apple started unlocking iPhones I haven't bothered with the JB community.

19. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

20. i-Engineer macrumors member

21. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

While being able to change little things like icons and themes or whatever, would be nice. Seeing all the "Jailbreak messed up my phone" threads on here makes me think twice about doing so.

22. mikeyrko macrumors member

I'm not interested I have done it many times and every time it works fine for a week then starts moving slow like a windows computer with viruses.

23. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

It all depends on what you're going to do with it. I JB'd my iPhone 4 for one reason alone...MyWi. I'm satisfied enough with Apple's solution for multitasking that I don't feel the need to use Backgrounder or Bitesms. If you're going to be doing things like using Winterboard to create custom themes or really messing with the phone, then it will obviously result in loss of processing speed and battery life (see: Android).

Also...JBing has come a long way since the 2G days. :)

Not much of a downside that a restore won't fix.

24. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I have no interest in it. Jailbroke my iPhone 3G a year ago, ran some stuff and was extremely underwhelmed. I restored it and was happy with the stock iPhone. Now I'm happy with my stock iPhone 4.

25. Steveo47 macrumors regular

i dont have an interest yet. Im happy with my iphone, maybe once i get bored i will.